Felony Best Pinion and Spur or just go with a spool?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FELONY2800

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
What are the best pinion and spur size to put on the arrma felony to increase speed or thoughts about a spool?

The stock firma system is limited in the speed run area.. it will struggle with heat on the factory 46 spur and the 27 pinion.. bigger 40mm fans will be needed to keep it cool..

That gearing on that esc will produce anywhere from 83mph on lower power cells to about 93-95mph on good cells..

If you plan to go faster it may be necessary to upgrade your esc and motor to like a castle 1717 setup.. then you can start playing with limitless gearing/ spools and higher speeds..

The firma esc just isn't up for the task and is pretty maxed out on the factory supplied speed pinion and spur.. hopefully it doesn't thermal on ya...🤞

Thanks for the info on that , so what if I just want to bash. What should I change in that case?

I run a 20t pinion for bashing and drifting.. keep in mind if it's hot out it will still thermal unless you have some big fans.. This rig was literally the reason I designed and starting selling aluminum 40mm fan mounts..

Haven't had a thermal situation since and I can probably get to a 21-22t pinion without issues.. it will still be pretty quick..👍

Okay solid solid and did you change the main gear or kept it stock?
I run a 20t pinion for bashing and drifting.. keep in mind if it's hot out it will still thermal unless you have some big fans.. This rig was literally the reason I designed and starting selling aluminum 40mm fan mounts..

Haven't had a thermal situation since and I can probably get to a 21-22t pinion without issues.. it will still be pretty quick..👍
Check this out

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210628-133149_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210628-133149_eBay.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:
Okay solid solid and did you change the main gear or kept it stock?

Check this out

No sir.. have always run the stock 46 spur with a center diff..

not so sure you want to run a spool on the felony wheels and tires.. there is a slight roll out difference between the front and rear..

But maybe someone who has can chime in on that, but my real world mechanical knowledge tells me that's a big no no.. it will try to tear itself apart.. or at the very least scrub the tires off very fast which it does already anyway...👍

No sir.. have always run the stock 46 spur with a center diff..

not so sure you want to run a spool on the felony wheels and tires.. there is a slight roll out difference between the front and rear..

But maybe someone who has can chime in on that, but my real world mechanical knowledge tells me that's a big no no.. it will try to tear itself apart.. or at the very least scrub the tires off very fast which it does already anyway...👍
Okay understandable. Im a automotive mechanic as well lol , but this rc car stuff threw me for a loop with the different variations. So basically run a 20t pinion with a 46t spur on a center differential.

I run stock 46spur with 23pinion with 2x40mm fans . And no issues and I enjoy the speed and bashing. On a good day it will smoke the tires off the line.

I run stock 46spur with 23pinion with 2x40mm fans . And no issues and I enjoy the speed and bashing. On a good day it will smoke the tires off the line.
Dope , sounds like a good speedy set up. I just ordered a 20tpinion. Now the felony comes stock with a 46t spur correct?

Okay understandable. Im an automotive mechanic as well lol , but this rc car stuff threw me for a loop with the different variations. So basically run a 20t pinion with a 46t spur on a center differential.
Editing my recent comment because I was able to figure it all out on my own but bcs this is an old thread, im writing what I learned on a new thread.

Last edited:
Okay understandable. Im a automotive mechanic as well lol , but this rc car stuff threw me for a loop with the different variations. So basically run a 20t pinion with a 46t spur on a center differential.
You are correct, running a spool on a Felony is a bad idea. I'm working on releasing a video to illustrate this.

You are correct, running a spool on a Felony is a bad idea. I'm working on releasing a video to illustrate this.
…. There’s no problem running a spool on a felony. The rear gears account for the rear tire diameter. I’m running a spool on mine.

The stock firma system is limited in the speed run area.. it will struggle with heat on the factory 46 spur and the 27 pinion.. bigger 40mm fans will be needed to keep it cool..

That gearing on that esc will produce anywhere from 83mph on lower power cells to about 93-95mph on good cells..

If you plan to go faster it may be necessary to upgrade your esc and motor to like a castle 1717 setup.. then you can start playing with limitless gearing/ spools and higher speeds..

The firma esc just isn't up for the task and is pretty maxed out on the factory supplied speed pinion and spur.. hopefully it doesn't thermal on ya...🤞
+1.
Also been there. Stocker 6s ESC always hits a speed wall. Amp cutting galore as well. Heat ensues. Just run 27-28 Pinion, and get some good fan solution. don't bother pushing/gearing the Lim any faster. 98 is the fastest I get, with my Infr. Same setup as above. But need good fans with a fan mount. The OE Heatsink sucks. Toss it, and get 2 good fans, using double fan mounts instead. Air blowing directy to the motor isi always best. The Motor alone is already a HS by design. Upgrading the ESC fan also helps very much. How I fly. Want to break triple digits you will need a better ESC at a minimum. Not necessarily a new motor, however. The 2050kv motor still has enough grunt for faster speeds , but only with a better upgrade ESC. And consider an 8s ESC when you do. Whether you want to run 6s or 8s packs. 8S ESC's will have better Amp overhead for speed run passes. Of course CC XLX2 is the top dog for speed running.
Quality, good condition Lipos certainly matter as well.

Last edited:
Here's the video I promised!

Calculating the speeds using the factory gearing there's over a 7 MPH variance between the front and rear tires. The gearing can easily be corrected to allow the Felony to run a center spool and potentially a rear locker for bashing. This cheap and easy mod will make the car handle better, while helping tire and differential wear. Please check out my video for more!
To fix the gearing, just swap the front input gear out with this - GP6
Thank you!
Felony Gearing Fix

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back