Best practices for rebuilding Nero diffs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig72

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Nero
  3. Talion
  4. Typhon 6s
Hey gang,

I have a Diff Brain Nero which started making some noise in a couple of the diffs. After tearing it down and verifying that the servos were good, I realized that the differentials themselves were not turning smoothly. Making a bit of a grinding sound. There was some side to side play of the output shafts, and upon tear down, I realized that the o-rings (AR716014) were nowhere to be found. I'm assuming they disintegrated based on what I saw. This was allowing the side to side play I mentioned. So I ordered some new parts and will be rebuilding soon.
I'm looking for any tips to make these diffs a bit more durable as they were not that old. I noticed there was not that much grease, which might have played into the premature failure.
Other that rebuilding with the specified amount of grease (manual shows filling to about 2mm below the top?) any other thoughts?

Thanks!

Okay so I’m done with the center diff. The new o-rings along with the addition of an extra shim on each of the orbital gear assembly really tightened things up. I had tried putting an additional shim behind one of the output shafts but I thought maybe that was a bit too tight. As it is now, there is no excess lateral play and turning by hand feels much smoother. I’m going to do the front and rear then get back on the road.
46AA79BF-00B3-4B90-AC05-8D648AD9F7F9.jpeg

I am doing my diffs and noticed only 1 or no oring at all in them. One of the diffs had oring fragments in it. These have no fluid in them so I don't understand what the point of them are. Maybe to keep dirt out? Anyone have any thoughts on how to keep these orings from disintegrating?

I am doing my diffs and noticed only 1 or no oring at all in them. One of the diffs had oring fragments in it. These have no fluid in them so I don't understand what the point of them are. Maybe to keep dirt out? Anyone have any thoughts on how to keep these orings from disintegrating?
One of my diffs was the same way. I think the O-Ring just disintegrated. All three of mine also had very little grease inside of them. The o-rings job I assume is to keep the gritty stuff out and the slippery stuff inside. They do note those O-rings as maintenance items, but I was sure surprised to see them damaged so quickly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back