Best RC LiPo battery connector types: Choosing and Soldering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anti spark connectors just have a resistor built-in as per this, https://www.davesrce.com/product-page/xt90-s-anti-spark-connectors.
These connectors have a small resistor molded inside the connector (that's the green area you see on the side of the female connector) that briefly completes the circuit between the battery and the ESC as the two halves of the connector are pushed together. This allows the capacitors inside the ESC to charge quickly, but in a controlled, low-current manner, so that the spark is eliminated. As the connector is fully pushed together and seated, the resistor is "by-passed", resulting in a complete connection that can withstand the full rating of the connectors, roughly 90 amps nominal, and 120 amps max.

Sounds nice, but at almost $2 a connector...I'd sooner make a soft start circuit with a MOSFET and a resistor, or some other way to bypass the resistor once the caps are charged.

Hi
I'm building a Limitless with an X8S with a 1717 1650 motor and I'm debating if I should go completely QS8 OR using an QS8 on the end of a Y connector with IC5 connectors on the batteries. My logic is that only 1 connector (ie the one that plugs into the ESC) needs to be anti spark. Not planning on 8S at this time but you all know how that goes....

Both IC5 and QS8 are rated for about 120A continuous? Thoughts and opinions??

IC 5 is rated for a max of 120A, QS8 for 300A.
this is short term and not continuous.

If you only want anti-spark, your way would work.

Any adapter is a crutch, you will probably de-solder your EC5's during bashing with your setup. Give it a try and see if it works for you.

IC 5 is rated for a max of 120A, QS8 for 300A.
this is short term and not continuous.

If you only want anti-spark, your way would work.

Any adapter is a crutch, you will probably de-solder your EC5's during bashing with your setup. Give it a try and see if it works for you.
Would you recommend using QS8 plugs on every 8s vehicle?

Any update on the solderless connectors from rcproplus? They are really appealing, I am considering these ones for running 6S on an infraction.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/rcprop...onnector-set-4-sets-rppreb5810std5p8/p1302337
The problem is they are pretty pricey. That kit only covers two batteries, an ESC, and one pair of charging leads.
I used solderless connectors last year, they were too expensive for me to buy more, they didn't show how to get them on, you couldn't connect batteries in series without modifying the pieces, and the wires got pulled out frequently, but they had a good amp load.

Found my way into this post looking to upgrade connectors. I'd rather just use one connector in all my rigs and batteries. I know I need something more robust than the ec5s I currently use for the xlx2. I'm hung up on QS8, AS150, OR XT150 and can't seem to find a thread as to if anyone compared these three. QS8 seems pricey and the other two seem just as good and budget friendly. Is there a good reason for the price gap? Are any of these a bad idea for my 2s and 3s setups?

No. Any modifications done voids manufacturer warranty.your on your own if you change them
Maybe not all. I did have a swollen 3s HRB and 2 4s Zeees warrantied, even though I had connectors changed. If I'm honest, the Zeees may have been gifted because it still boggles my mind that they were replaced. They did ask for permission to use a pic I submitted(I've been looking but haven't seen it in any ads). The 3s originally had Dean's and the 4s had bullet connectors. Then again it's entirely possible they didn't notice that detail. Both cases I was asked to discharge and dispose.
AS150 is the anti spark version of the XT150 just the first hit on Google https://www.amazon.com/Amass-Female-Connector-Battery-Charge/dp/B00RVM93YO at least it says anti spark 🤷‍♂️
After a chat with a friend, I've decided to order PP QS8s. Seems Amazon sellers like to soak Canadians. $18/19 for one pair or $85 for 5. PP will do 5 made to spec QS8s for $50US($67CAD). 5 gives me enough to make 4 females for charging leads and esc, 4 for 2 sets of dual 4s lipos and 1 backup.
Screenshot_20230408_015120_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20230408_015002_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Last edited:
They do. You probably missed it but look under the price. I order on .com all the time as there is a greater supply of parts. Perfect Pass isn't even available on .ca last time I looked.
I was told these are better because they are built to Raz' specs and capable of handling 600A burst where the rest have a 150A burst limit? Feel free to correct me if thats wrong. Its just what I was told and haven't actually confirmed that anywhere.

No idea on Raz version, I highly doubt they are doing a special build for him at that price but I do believe they are good quality.

Back