Best RC LiPo battery connector types: Choosing and Soldering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a very good point and I have seen similar jigs that are indeed made from all aluminum which would defeat the purpose of heating up the bullets. This particular jig is made from a plastic like material where the bullets are held.

Also per the product details in the link provided: "Thermal Insulating Layer: Black thermal insulating layer surrounded by the holes, which can effectively prevent heat propagation"

XT150 connectors are another good selection for sure!
Sorry Slick but with regard to that particular jig @WoodiE has shown you are incorrect. That black area that you use for bullit connects is Bakelite. I have that precise jig and it is awesome and makes life much easier......there are many jigs that look like that which are aluminium and in which case your advice is 100% correct and people should keep away from them for the reasons your outline.....the one Woodie is showing is not one of those and works well.

Yeah my bad, as you can see from later posts when I looked at the picture it looked like it was all aluminum and I remembered someone saying not to get them because it takes forever to heat up your bullets. I should edit my to say to be careful when buying those as you don't get one that is all aluminum.

I've recently been on a converting spree of making everything XT90s, just to make things easier (don't need any adapters or multiple batteries with different plugs to manage). Though, I used to do a mix of XT60s (which I still have on my kids' cars), XT90s, and the XT150s (on my vehicles that run series connections, just connect one battery to the other, and then plug the remaining wires to the esc), but after getting my 1st Arrma, I just went XT90 everything (they made it easy to switch by providing all of their vehicles with plugs to convert your batteries).
I'm on the XT 90 train too... very tough and I like the size for dudes like me with ape hands Dean's, traxxis etc. Are difficult to get apart with not much area for your fingers. I feel like I'm going to pull away the wires size difference is a lot.

Attachments

• 15504193662345659761190236314720.jpg
    15504193662345659761190236314720.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 71
EC3's and EC5's are by far my favorite connectors.

And why is that? I have the factory Arrma and happy with them. Is it worth switching for any reason? Switching is kind of a pain but I'd probably do it if enough benefit.

And why is that? I have the factory Arrma and happy with them. Is it worth switching for any reason? Switching is kind of a pain but I'd probably do it if enough benefit.
The only benefit to changing everything is if it really has better performance. If your happy with one system... Keep it. We could change up every day of the week going by somebody else's recommendation!

Im happy with the ec5s. Plenty of hold and never had a problem.

From memory XT90 and EC5's are rated the same (someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong but I don't think so). I have never soldered EC5's but they do look easier than XT90's....not that XT90's are difficult at all. EC5's would need more solder but that is nothing really. Either connector is fine, just go with the connector you think is easier to solder which meets your AMP specification requirements

If everything you have is already an XT-90 then stick with it.

I prefer EC5 because that's what I started using a couple years ago. I also find them extremely easy to build with their bullet type connectors whereas the XT-90 are more like a U shape to solder onto.

EC5's and XT-90's are both rated for 120amps so you wouldn't gain anything there.

If everything you have is already an XT-90 then stick with it.

I prefer EC5 because that's what I started using a couple years ago. I also find them extremely easy to build with their bullet type connectors whereas the XT-90 are more like a U shape to solder onto.

EC5's and XT-90's are both rated for 120amps so you wouldn't gain anything there.
Where do you buy yours? Just curious as it seems there are knock offs for most of these and they tend to not work as well as originals.

I remember reading recently, not sure where, but haven't they started manufacturing newer connectors to be similar to Traxxas ID type? No more separate balance plugs. I think EC3 and EC5 are already available this way. Just wondering what that means for all of us using standard connectors.

I remember reading recently, not sure where, but haven't they started manufacturing newer connectors to be similar to Traxxas ID type? No more separate balance plugs. I think EC3 and EC5 are already available this way. Just wondering what that means for all of us using standard connectors.
Really? I was not aware this was happening.

Are u talking about the smart batteries? With the chip in the connector?

Like anybody would try... Traxxas would just sue them. Then all chargers would have to change too. Not really worth it if you ask me.

Are u talking about the smart batteries? With the chip in the connector?
Something along those lines. Makes sense that would only be on the battery connectors.

Not saying you were implying this, but I want to make this clear, traxxas' new connectors don't have computer chips in them lol.. they simply rerouted the balance leads to the main connector and modified the charger to have the balance plugs line up to the new balance leads on the new connector.

That sounds overly complicated. In summary Traxxas just moved the balance leads from their own connector into the main battery connector, and on their chargers they made the main port accept them and read the balance leads.

Not saying you were implying this, but I want to make this clear, traxxas' new connectors don't have computer chips in them lol.. they simply rerouted the balance leads to the main connector and modified the charger to have the balance plugs line up to the new balance leads on the new connector.

That sounds overly complicated. In summary Traxxas just moved the balance leads from their own connector into the main battery connector, and on their chargers they made the main port accept them and read the balance leads.
Kind of amusing as I cut my 2 3S traxxas packs with the ID connector open so I could install a typical 3S plug so I didn't have to buy those adapters to charge them. When I bough the packs, I had also bought the dual ID charger, but I never used the packs. The charger had both kinds of plugs. I ended up selling the charger as I got annoyed at how long it took to charge 2x9000mah 2S packs.

Anderson Powerpoles, (commonly called APPs) hands down, no contest!

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power-powerpole-sb-connectors

Not enough people know about them (as evidenced by the OP's omission), which is unfortunate. They're interchangeable between all your devices, regardless of amps, no soldering, because it uses crimping (often referred to as a cold solder or cold connection), is a much better connection than soldering (lower resistance, no heating parts of parts, proper strain relief, no stiffening of the wire, etc.)

I've used them all, starting my hobbying with the Tamiya Connector, graduated to Deans, then Traxxas style, EC5, XT60, and XT90. Connectors are like a religious belief to many, but trust me, once you switch to APPs, you'll never regret it. They're so fast to connect and simple to crimp. I can change connectors on a battery or ESC faster than you can heat up your soldering iron.

Some claim they're too expensive, but when you factor in the cost of a jig, solder, iron and time (time is money, right?) APPs are a very good value. Being able to plug in my all my 1/18 scale devices to my 1/8 scale devices is huge when it comes to cost and time. I've virtually eliminated all adapters, too. I wish I had known about APPs when I first started out, I would have saved hundreds of dollars and countless hours screwing around will all the various connectors in the hobby.

Back