Best RC LiPo battery connector types: Choosing and Soldering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find my EC5 a P.I.T.A. to pull apart, especially if I have cold fingers. Does anyone have both XT90 AND EC5 to compare which is consistently easier, or does it just vary from batch to batch / luck of the draw kinda thing? there was another thread participant that said they were equally as tough. Obviously we don't want plugs disconnecting by themselves - but I don't really jump/land my rig anyway. Thank you

I find my EC5 a P.I.T.A. to pull apart, especially if I have cold fingers. Does anyone have both XT90 AND EC5 to compare which is consistently easier, or does it just vary from batch to batch / luck of the draw kinda thing? there was another thread participant that said they were equally as tough. Obviously we don't want plugs disconnecting by themselves - but I don't really jump/land my rig anyway. Thank you
I have a few EC5 lipos and there is a huge difference in the pull strength needed between the Reaction and the SMC lipos. The SMC lipos must have crappier connectors because it takes a ton of effort to unplug them. The Reaction comes apart really easy. Neither is an issue for me, but I can see how others would have issues.

I have both but can't call it. When mine feel loose I spread the brass inside with a thin metal ruler. This is the culprit on the fit more than the plastic. I prefer very tight even if it takes a little more to pull em apart.

That's what you want, a tight snug fit. Loose is certainly NOT what you want.
The Reaction are tight. The SMCs are hard to separate, even with a lot of force. I will try adjusting the pins as others have suggested. I’ve yet to ever have a battery unplug. That’s saying something considering my driving abilities.

I initially stuck with the IC5's that came with my Arrma's for possible warranty requests not knowing if you void anything by cutting them. Well I decided to just stick with them. They are a bit expensive but I love them now. Strong connection, and have never had one come unplugged. I also love that you don't need heat shrink with the solder covers. Not sure what they are called. But I have noticed that you have to careful not to overheat them while soldering. The inside connector will move if it gets too hot.

I used to be a trx connector user...until my first arrma. never again, my 8 new 3s packs are all xt90s anti-spark, they're so much better. i'm still using the their chargers tho (I have 2 of their dual chargers) with trx to xt90 adapters. they work fine for now but I'm looking to upgrade those soon. i need me something a little more sophisticated and with more power than the 80w shared

I recently learned about the xt150s. they seem like the solid choice for running batts in series. already ordered. Im going to give them a try and switch again if I like them enough
I use to use the traxxas id charger with all adapters but recently i bought a htrc touch screen dual charger and I'm absolutely loving it. It's a proper hobby grade dual charger for about 65$ on Amazon. Just keep in mind you just need to buy 4mm bullet wires with ec5 and xt90. It comes with a bunch of others but not them. I highly recommend it. Check out razor rc video on it on YouTube .

I initially stuck with the IC5's that came with my Arrma's for possible warranty requests not knowing if you void anything by cutting them. Well I decided to just stick with them. They are a bit expensive but I love them now. Strong connection, and have never had one come unplugged. I also love that you don't need heat shrink with the solder covers. Not sure what they are called. But I have noticed that you have to careful not to overheat them while soldering. The inside connector will move if it gets too hot.
just don't use IC5 if you don't have a smart battery (the connectors I think are just to replace damaged connectors) use EC5 instead works just fine

Not had heaps of experience with other connectors apart from deans but the XT90 have been good for me. No issues with coming loose, getting hot or breaking and they are easy to solder. Have started ordering the anti-spark type.

I solder Castle 6.5 connectors on most of my batteries. They can be a PITA to pull apart, but this can be easily adjusted by taking a small pair of thin nose pliers and very slightly bending a few pins in on each the bullet connectors that go on the Esc.. You can do this either before or after the connector is soldered on, it makes no difference. Just do it very gently, barely any force at all, and the pins will very slightly move together, now it will fit into the barrel connectors on the battery much easier. Some Castle connectors fit very tight when put together and some fit much looser right out of the box, adjusting the bullets fixes the issue

EC5 works great for me, use the cheap Chinese ones from AliExpress and I’ve had no issues and fitment is great with the Arrma IC5 plugs on my Outcast. Super cheap at like 5 pair for like $4 and I see no difference in quality or function compared to the Arrma IC5s(except for the smart function which I don’t use). Prefer the Ec5 over the XT90s, I’ve seen people melt the plastic soldering on XT connectors and people recommend soldering them with male and female plug connected so the plastic doesn’t warp. With he EC5 you just need to solder a bullet connector then press it into the housing after so that’s not an issue. Charger I use is an IMAX B6AC v2 works well I really like it but also the only one I’ve used so not much frame of reference. Made sure to buy the charger from a more reliable source than AliExpress and checked authenticity because there are a lot of fakes.

EC5 works great for me, use the cheap Chinese ones from AliExpress and I’ve had no issues and fitment is great with the Arrma IC5 plugs on my Outcast. Super cheap at like 5 pair for like $4 and I see no difference in quality or function compared to the Arrma IC5s(except for the smart function which I don’t use). Prefer the Ec5 over the XT90s, I’ve seen people melt the plastic soldering on XT connectors and people recommend soldering them with male and female plug connected so the plastic doesn’t warp. With he EC5 you just need to solder a bullet connector then press it into the housing after so that’s not an issue. Charger I use is an IMAX B6AC v2 works well I really like it but also the only one I’ve used so not much frame of reference. Made sure to buy the charger from a more reliable source than AliExpress and checked authenticity because there are a lot of fakes.
I used to have a clone B6AC, that was my first charger and I didn't know any better. It was okay until I needed to charge larger batteries.

I used to have a clone B6AC, that was my first charger and I didn't know any better. It was okay until I needed to charge larger batteries.
Yea almost just went with a clone and heard they worked but also heard the more you get in the hobby the more you will want the real deal so just decided to start with the real deal. Good thing too when I started I wasn’t sure if I’d go anywhere past my little souped up toy grade WLToys 12428 with the 2200mAh 3s but here I am like a year and 3 fully hobby grade RCs later. Don’t think that clone woulda liked charging my 5200mAh 6s brick haha. But yea i was more worried I was gonna pay real deal prices and they would try and slip me a clone.

I started with deans as a beginner in the electric r/c life. I then moved up to EC5 and then settled at XT90 and haven't looked back. I've never melted or loss soldered connecting from overheating with the XT90 plugs.

I started with Tamiya(late 80s), moved to power pole(mid to late 90s until I had one come loose on a helicopter hover), moved to deans(used these for a very, very long time) I think it was the early 2000's, took a break from flying, and came back in about 2007, and lipos and life packs were jumping on the scene.

Because I was flying glow helis, the only thing that was needed were receiver and starter packs. From what I remember, I want to say those were deans also, with balance plugs. That was up until about 2010 or 11. Took a life break again, and came back in, and things were upside down: helis on the strong decline to non existent, drones and a million different connectors. I stumbled upon the ec3 buying a small blade helicopter. I used those until I purchased, first a 500 sized(6S) and then a 700 sized(12S) helicopters, and found the ec5's. I also, now, have multiple airplanes, a couple quads and a jet, and use the ec5's on all of them. I have one quad that uses the xt90, and just haven't switched it over.

But the vast majority of my equipment is based off ec5(IC5 ends on our arrma vehicles), and they just work well, don't come apart, don't melt, conduct pretty good, and really are easily available. So I just drive with them..

Recently, I've begun moving to the QS8 connector on all of my larger models. Much larger bullet size, anti spark, and tons of power handling capability..

Last edited:
Back