Best RC LiPo battery connector types: Choosing and Soldering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've recently swapped everything over to XT150, couldn't be happier with the connection options, they are great if you want to run a couple of packs in series without the need for a Y lead. The only concern I have is if you have someone that doesn't know how they work, they could accidentally connect the positive and negative of the battery to each other, they aren't fail safe in that sense.
And @Primarrma is now blowing everyone's mind.

XT60 on my drone and an adapter EC5 to XT90 on my Kraton.
I know adapters are poop and I would've liked to avoid them but apparently it will void the warranty if I cut off the factory plugs of the ESC and solder XT90s on them according to the hobby shop I bought the Kraton at.

So far it's working fine ?

XT60 on my drone and an adapter EC5 to XT90 on my Kraton.
I know adapters are poop and I would've liked to avoid them but apparently it will void the warranty if I cut off the factory plugs of the ESC and solder XT90s on them according to the hobby shop I bought the Kraton at.

So far it's working fine ?
I’ve never had an issue with warranty after changing plugs. Not sure that is really a thing or just an excuse not to swap connectors.

Adapters are for the ones that care about warranty. That’s not me. Adapters are a poor excuse for a reason to do it rite.
I’ve never had an issue with warranty after changing plugs. Not sure that is really a thing or just an excuse not to swap connectors.

I already mentioned that the current solution is not ideal boys.
Yes, I read enough stories of failing ESCs to belong to the ones who care about warranty.
The car was already expensive enough so why take a risk and void it on purpose.
As soon as the warranty is over I'll swap connectors for sure.

I already mentioned that the current solution is not ideal boys.
Yes, I read enough stories of failing ESCs to belong to the ones who care about warranty.
The car was already expensive enough so why take a risk and void it on purpose.
As soon as the warranty is over I'll swap connectors for sure.
Nothing wrong with playing it safe.

I use XT90 anti-spark plugs on my larger rigs, and XT60 on my crawler. I put Traxxas plugs on my sons rig just for the ease of use of the Traxxas charger and batteries for him.

In my experience, both XT and EC plugs are easy to solder. I have went away from the XT plugs because they tend to come disconnected during bashing way too much. Never had an EC plug disconnect, if it does, that is usually the least of my worries...?

Recently purchased a used Outcast that had EC plugs on it (my batteries have XT90)

Had no issues cutting the EC off and replacing it with XT90 but I did notice the pins on the EC are larger in diameter. I would imagine at some point (lots of "S") the EC would be better for amperage. But the XT90 serve me just fine for 6S max.

Recently purchased a used Outcast that had EC plugs on it (my batteries have XT90)

Had no issues cutting the EC off and replacing it with XT90 but I did notice the pins on the EC are larger in diameter. I would imagine at some point (lots of "S") the EC would be better for amperage. But the XT90 serve me just fine for 6S max.
Yes, the 90 will handle it fine. Mostly just personal preference at this point.

Loving the XT150 connectors
View attachment 98533
Easier to solder than XT90’s IMO
and way easier to run two batteries
I switched from the XT90 to XT150 that are away easier to solder than the XT90. Some issues with XT150: sparks, difficult to clip the cover and very hard to remove the cover afterward. Hence, I decided to move toward the AS150 that offers almost the same performances as the XT150 with anti-spark design, 7mm, easy to fit insulation cap with thread and based on some YouTube tutorial the soldering seems to be easy.

any experience with those AS150 from other users ? I don’t see much difference between the as150 and the xt150

Last edited:
I use XT150 for all my 1/8 cars and large planes (4S-6S), and use XT60 for all my 1/10 cars and the rest of my planes.
I've also done a video about different types of connectors to help those that aren't sure what to use and did a video about soldering XT150 connectors.
Hope that helps. :)

I use ec5 on 6-8s and xt60 on my crawlers

You don't need a special jig.
I simply drilled appropriate sized holes into a block of pine. Different sizes from 3mm up to 6mm for the really big terminals.
Drill only about 3/8 (10mm) deep. The wood doesn't transfer heat, is not electrically conductive plus being heavy it stays on the bench where you put it. Turn on it's side or end to get into a difficult spot.
Plus....It's cheap :cool:

Wood works well!👍🏼 This EC5 punch is a must have also 😉

FE5647E9-8961-483E-B596-2EAB15593379.jpeg

BD93CD7D-8C29-41B6-B4D0-69647A28476B.jpeg

You don't need a special jig.
I simply drilled appropriate sized holes into a block of pine. Different sizes from 3mm up to 6mm for the really big terminals.
Drill only about 3/8 (10mm) deep. The wood doesn't transfer heat, is not electrically conductive plus being heavy it stays on the bench where you put it. Turn on it's side or end to get into a difficult spot.
Plus....It's cheap :cool:

Cheap and readily available would make it a special jig in my book. Kudos.

I machined duel half round channels down 2 chunks of alum. Drilled and tapped a single central hole for clamping purposes.
I use a beast of a soldering gun so I clamp down on the wires between the battery and new connections to alleviate any heat transfer to the pac. It was a fun lil project and it calms my paranoia.

I still dislike EC5 just due to the way they assemble. Any little spillover of solder and the barrel will not seat.
IC5's I have seen the grey plastic crack after bashing. I have experienced this on 2 of mine and everybody elses rig (~ maybe 5 rigs total)

Solder trick, I use wooden cloth pins, they have been my go to solution for a lot of soldering. Always adaptable to the situation.
You can find them even cheaper in store.

https://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do...d=1&keywords=clothespin&qid=1612413622&sr=8-2

I still dislike EC5 just due to the way they assemble. Any little spillover of solder and the barrel will not seat.
IC5's I have seen the grey plastic crack after bashing. I have experienced this on 2 of mine and everybody elses rig (~ maybe 5 rigs total)

Solder trick, I use wooden cloth pins, they have been my go to solution for a lot of soldering. Always adaptable to the situation.
You can find them even cheaper in store.

https://www.amazon.com/Honey-Can-Do...d=1&keywords=clothespin&qid=1612413622&sr=8-2
I have recently went with the decision of going with the EC5. I was disappointed. I have almost 40 years of soldering experience and having this exercise to accomplish, I am not looking forward to. (jkflow) - Any material on the barrel and it won't seat. Using a screwdriver, well I broke two connectors. I figure I can practice on the male ones, since I only will be using battery connectors, a couple of adapters.

I know I will master these in a month or so. But I have soldered surface mount components, and this darn 'lock' I just don't hear. I clean the connector, trim the wire sheathing, use a combo of torch and gun (with this type of gauge you need some bog wire and big heat.

Before it's late, I either jump into learning to solder EC5s' or revert back to XT90s'.

I dislike them as well.
Do not go to IC5, all of mine now have broken covers (that grey shell thing). I'll suffer through the EC5 use for now.
There is no audible clicking, what I do is literally hold the tool to hammer in the pins with my finger tips right at the point of entry and you can barely feel how it moves in with each hammer strike. Soft blows and not hulking it in will usually get it done with 80% success.
A sharp knife or sharp edge works on the solder but what a pain.
You could creat a tool (wood) that will ensure you get the right depth. Luckily I don't have to solder these on a daily basis.

Last edited:
I have recently went with the decision of going with the EC5. I was disappointed. I have almost 40 years of soldering experience and having this exercise to accomplish, I am not looking forward to. (jkflow) - Any material on the barrel and it won't seat. Using a screwdriver, well I broke two connectors. I figure I can practice on the male ones, since I only will be using battery connectors, a couple of adapters.

I know I will master these in a month or so. But I have soldered surface mount components, and this darn 'lock' I just don't hear. I clean the connector, trim the wire sheathing, use a combo of torch and gun (with this type of gauge you need some bog wire and big heat.

Before it's late, I either jump into learning to solder EC5s' or revert back to XT90s'.
Buy this tool, makes life a little easier!🤷🏻‍♂️

PRC EC5 Assembly Punch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FKW4J0...abc_BTDPJ6X0FM43XJGGHA27?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

1564D6FF-F9C6-44CA-B43C-2649DE91AE2C.jpeg

Back