Best RC LiPo battery connector types: Choosing and Soldering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say the IC5 are my new favorite. No need for heat shrink, easy to solder and easy to reuse.

Is it worth swapping out original xt90 on new 6s lipos to the new style anti-spark xt90s?
I haven't tried the anti-spark and I mostly prefer xt-90 just because I have most of my packs with this connector. I also haven't found any reason to worry about sparks so considering the cost and effort involved, I personally wouldn't do it. Doesn't mean it wouldn't be worth it to others....just my opinion.

I use and love my XT150 connectors. They handle 8s with ease and are super simple to solder without worrying about melting anything. I also have mine set up so that the positive and negative can plug into each other, which is what I wanted so that I can run packs in series without any adapters or extra wiring.
. I love the xt150 too that’s all I’m using from now on

Depending on the amperage, I use either XT60 or XT90. Bought a few XT90s but have yet to try them.

Loving the XT150 connectors
EAE30BB3-0981-4CFD-9808-07770D108FFB.jpeg

Easier to solder than XT90’s IMO

Glad i found this post, use EC5 connectors but the 'how to solder connectors' video is very helpful. ??

As posted earlier in this thread, I used Anderson power poles because I could not solder very well. Never had a Amp problem with them, it worked perfectly fine. Now that I have a few years under my belt (trial and error) I can solder pretty well and have moved over to xt90 and IC5.

I use the Castle connectors, they are guaranteed to stay together on rough landings and when you try to pull them apart. I have them on my Kraton 8s and my X Maxx.

I’ve been using EC5’s on all my ESC’s/batteries. They work great for me. The only time one came loose on me is when a battery strap broke during a big send. When I started back in the hobby, I didn’t know much. I bought batteries with deans and used adapters. I read on the forum, that the adapters couldn’t handle the current. That’s when I bought a nice soldering station and a bag full of EC5’s connectors. I made my own jig out of a small piece of a 2 x 4. Also bought the punch for setting the connectors.
BC93E7B5-EC14-4107-949D-5FDF41D6893F.jpeg

I’ve used almost every connector in radio control, from tamiya to XT150. I will say I have never owned a rig with xt150’s, but I did help a buddy out and solder some up to his truck for him. Those connectors are amazing. The only reason I don’t have them is because I’m too lazy to convert all of my batteries. Here’s my thoughts with hundreds of runs on the other types of connectors (except ec5’s and 3’s, but I’ll explain later)

TAMIYA: great connector for an 8.4v nimh brushed 12 gauge and smaller power system. Don’t use these on anything higher wattage, they’ll melt.

DEANS: Good connector for up to 4S Lipo and 12 gauge wire. Decent for 6s LIPO/ 10 gauge. OEM deans plugs are great, they will never melt on you with a standard 8th scale 6s system (150a esc 4074 motor). Any other “t style” connector will absolutely melt guaranteed, and also have the tabs come apart. Almost every RTR that had “deans” connectors used fake ones (arrma, HPI, axial). I hate how small they are though. Almost impossible to pull apart because of their size, that’s why I don’t like them.

XT60: Great connector for 4s and below systems with 12 gauge wire and smaller. Nothing much to say here. I ran them on a slash 4x4 for years. Very good.

EC3. Never even touched one myself. But they’re basically identical to XT60’s amperage wise and I don’t hear about them melting.

TRAXXAS (all generations): Good for mid size monster truck 6s power systems, 10-12 gauge wires. The skinny first generation connectors conduct just as much amps as the new thicker ones, the terminals are the same size. I actually like these a lot. Very easy to unplug and never get hot on me. Also used these for years. They are god awful to solder, looking to ditch them for that reason.

XT90: Great connector for heavy 6s monster trucks with an oversized heavy duty10 gauge wire power system (hobbywing max6, castle mamba monster 1, 2, X, and 8s). I love these. They’re on my Senton 6s. Whenever I plug them in I think 2 things. “Ah yes, only the lowest resistance with these thick boys” and the second, biggest issue which actually makes me hate them sometimes, is “damn it’s gonna suck when I gotta unplug these in 30 minutes”

EC5: Never touched one of these either. I know they’re identical to an XT90 performance wise. This is where I need feedback. Are these easier to unplug than an XT90? If so I’m sold.

XT150: Soldered them a few times. Wow I love these. Nothing beats them! I wish I had the motivation to convert. I’d need to make charging leads too.

Pretty much always run XT90s aside from using deans on my little 1/10th.
Anti-sparks have been a godsend with a sizeable cap pack, 8awg was tight on my XT90s though.
I've pulled 280 amps to send off my thinning GRPs in smoke, XT90s handled it no problem, no reason to go bigger.

-Edit- and I really appreciate foolproof connectors, without them it's just one small slip-up and you've got a bad day ahead of you.

Last edited:
Back