Best scissors to cut lexan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DoubLRRLIFE!8887

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Typhon 6s
First body I’m cutting/painting so lots of questions .
I see people here have a preference when it comes to cutting them up, let’s hear it and those are the ones I’m getting thanks fellas.

The word on the street is the Tamiya scissors are the best.
These?

E239F5BF-A298-4BE4-89DA-042BE6C2C70B.png

I found the Team Corally ones really good personally.
Do you have link?

Cutting a lexan body can be tricky. The above scissors are the best.
This guy here demonstrates how to do it properly……do NOT use scissors to cut curvy parts. Score with xacto first, then follow through. You will get great results.

Tin snips or, my personal preference, a scalpel and the score and snap method. I've used this on Lexan thickness up to 2mm. Here's a demonstration of how it works. Done correctly, it produces the best edge by far that requires the least amount of sanding and touching up. Once you do it this way for the first time, you'll never go back to scissors again.

Tin snips or, my personal preference, a scalpel and the score and snap method. I've used this on Lexan thickness up to 2mm. Here's a demonstration of how it works. Done correctly, it produces the best edge by far that requires the least amount of sanding and touching up. Once you do it this way for the first time, you'll never go back to scissors again.
I tried that but with the delta bodies the knife just wanted to run away.

I tried that but with the delta bodies the knife just wanted to run away.
Might be down to the knife you're using. The commonly found scalpel or Exacto blades are too long and thin and tend to be a bit too flexible which allows the blade to deflect too easily. I've been having success (even on the 2mm Delta bodies) with Bittydesign's knife which has a short and stiff blade. It definitely gives you better control over where the tip of the blade is.
1675477439070.png

Might be down to the knife you're using. The commonly found scalpel or Exacto blades are too long and thin and tend to be a bit too flexible which allows the blade to deflect too easily. I've been having success (even on the 2mm Delta bodies) with Bittydesign's knife which has a short and stiff blade. It definitely gives you better control over where the tip of the blade is.
View attachment 275412
Interesting. I just might have to give that a shot. Makes sense. I remember trying it and thinking I wish I could grip it closer to the tip like a pencil. Thanks bro!

You know I’m going to destroy it right? 😂 chew the edges off and let’s drive it!!

Personally I prefer these bitty designs scissors
https://www.amainhobbies.com/bittydesign-curved-polycarbonate-scissors-bdyss-37855-c/p968655

But the tamiya work pretty good as well

I use the curved scissors to cut all the curved areas such as wheel wells etc and use a pair of big scissors (good quality ones) like these for all the long straight cuts

https://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-1541...words=titanium+scissors&qid=1675515818&sr=8-9

Then I use 120 grit a sandpaper to sand all the edges ..scuff the inside with red scotchbrite ..clean the inside with isopropyl alcohol and that’s it

Good luck 👍🏼

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back