Best servo for Arrma Typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ari33

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Quite like the look of the £40 URUAV deluxe line lpb1305 for my v4 Typhon.

It looks to be a rebranded PowerHD Storm7HD which is double the price... so it looks an outstanding deal on paper. Can I trust the outstanding specs to be accurate though?

URUAV LPB1305 Brushless HV Digital waterproof servo.

Specs:

Torque: 10kg-cm@6v [email protected]
Speed: 0.065s@6v [email protected]/60˚
Operating Voltage: 6-8.4v
Bearing Type: Dual Bearing
Motor Type: Brushless Motor
Gear Type: Titanium & Aluminium Alloy
Operating Temperature: -20C to 60˚C
Working Frequency: 1520µs/333hz
Dimension: 41x20x26.2mm
Weight: 52g

Worth trying or should I go with something from Savox?

i say try it. i just ordered the storm 5 for myself since for some reason im not very confident with the 10kg-cm torque. the stock one is 15kg-cm and that seems fine, im not sure dropping 30% in torque is gonna be okay. but i don't know enough on the subject to fault the storm 7

i say try it. i just ordered the storm 5 for myself since for some reason im not very confident with the 10kg-cm torque. the stock one is 15kg-cm and that seems fine, im not sure dropping 30% in torque is gonna be okay. but i don't know enough on the subject to fault the storm 7

Thanks, yes.. I'm minded to give it a go. I think the biggest problem with these fast digital servos is having the bec amperage available to power them to their full potential. My BLX185 only provides 3A max at 6v which isnt going to let my new servo perform to the best of its capabilities as others have found on here when trying them with the weak bec's on most escs.
I either need to get a new esc that can provide 7.4v and 6A minimum or go with a decent ubec.

I'm looking into the Henge 7.4v 12A ubec, weighs 25g and is quite compact. Should also take some heat out the esc by not using its bec.

...or do I just go for a 220A beast pro esc and keep everything neat? Upgrading this thing is a rabbithole! ?

Thanks, yes.. I'm minded to give it a go. I think the biggest problem with these fast digital servos is having the bec amperage available to power them to their full potential. My BLX185 only provides 3A max at 6v which isnt going to let my new servo perform to the best of its capabilities as others have found on here when trying them with the weak bec's on most escs.
I either need to get a new esc that can provide 7.4v and 6A minimum or go with a decent ubec.

I'm looking into the Henge 7.4v 12A ubec, weighs 25g and is quite compact. Should also take some heat out the esc by not using its bec.

...or do I just go for a 220A beast pro esc and keep everything neat? Upgrading this thing is a rabbithole! ?
i know what you mean.

as far as the servo goes, if you plugged it in directly, it would run at the .065 speed instead of the .055? or even lower than that due to amps?
i was planning on doing just a plug and play. but might go the bec route if thats the case. i don't want to replace my blx185 if its still going. trying to keep the upgrades to a minimum otherwise where do you draw the line? next thing you know were trying to shoehorn a v8 corvette engine in there....

i know what you mean.

as far as the servo goes, if you plugged it in directly, it would run at the .065 speed instead of the .055? or even lower than that due to amps?
i was planning on doing just a plug and play. but might go the bec route if thats the case. i don't want to replace my blx185 if its still going. trying to keep the upgrades to a minimum otherwise where do you draw the line? next thing you know were trying to shoehorn a v8 corvette engine in there....

Its a bit of both.... I wont get the same speed or torque at 6v and the manufacturers rarely list the full stall current draw specs but from what I've read these HV digital servos can draw as high as 2.8-3A at full stall (See- Warning:Servo amp draw/ External BEC https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=266777)
So a 3A bec on my blx185 is probably cutting it a bit fine when you also have a fan and receiver to power unless I'm real careful with my servo trims to avoid full stall.

Think I'd better play it safe and go with the external bec to avoid junking my esc... or just invest in a more capable esc like the ZTW I mentioned earlier. At least then I'll have a spare stock esc to fall back on..

i went to my local hobbytown and got the BEC. if they had a suitable esc in stock i might have upgraded that but ill see how this combo does.

Makes sense, what bec did you go for?
the castle one. non waterproof. they had the waterproof one but it was 2x the price. i figured instead of spending 50 bucks on this, ill just get an esc later on and not feel like i wasted money.

the castle one. non waterproof. they had the waterproof one but it was 2x the price. i figured instead of spending 50 bucks on this, ill just get an esc later on and not feel like i wasted money.

If its the blue one you might need to find someone with a 'castle link' to change the output voltage on that... otherwise you will be stuck on 5.1v output.

Edit- Maybe the shop can do it for you.

If its the blue one you might need to find someone with a 'castle link' to change the output voltage on that... otherwise you will be stuck on 5.1v output.

Edit- Maybe the shop can do it for you.
Yup, they did

Yup, they did

Nice one. Castle are generally very good quality, might get one myself.
What voltage did you set it at?
Can the voltage be set variably or just in increments?

Also, keep us posted on how easy it is to get that servo to fit... I'm thinking of going for the URUAV version of it too.

Cheers.

Nice one. Castle are generally very good quality, might get one myself.
What voltage did you set it at?
Can the voltage be set variably or just in increments?

Also, keep us posted on how easy it is to get that servo to fit... I'm thinking of going for the URUAV version of it too.

Cheers.
had it set to 7.4v
looking at the screen while they were doing it, it was basically at .1v increments.

installed the servo. with the BEC. wow what a difference. i knew it would be fast, but i didnt think it would be THAT fast. i have a gyro in my receiver and before, i would constantly wobble at high speed. i figured its a bad gyro. but after switching to this servo, i realize that the stock servo was just too slow to react to the gyro so the gyro would oversteer and recorrect itself, resulting in the wobble.

wobble at high speed. i figured its a bad gyro. but after switching to this servo, i realize that the stock servo was just too slow to react to the gyro so the gyro would oversteer and recorrect itself, resulting in the wobble.

Interesting- and noted. Thanks!!

I quit using Savox servos because they break on me:)
My choice is agf servos now. A77CHM is wonderful for Typhon and other buggies I run it on my Hpi Vorza and A80BHMW on all my 8th scale trucks
All of them are full cnc body beefy steel gears and waterproof that's very important for snowy Russia?

installed the servo. with the BEC. wow what a difference. i knew it would be fast, but i didnt think it would be THAT fast. i have a gyro in my receiver and before, i would constantly wobble at high speed. i figured its a bad gyro. but after switching to this servo, i realize that the stock servo was just too slow to react to the gyro so the gyro would oversteer and recorrect itself, resulting in the wobble.

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds impressive, glad you like it... Makes you realise just how poor the stock one is eh?
I'll report back and let you guys know if the URUAV branded version of the same servo is the real deal.. once I get it.

Amazon FanModel Digital Coreless WP 25KG. $33 USD Great in my 6S Kraton. Just cant kill it. Blows away the $15.00USD ADS15kg stocker servo. You need a decent Digital servo for any Gyro.

Amazon FanModel Digital Coreless WP 25KG. $33 USD Great in my 6S Kraton. Just cant kill it. Blows away the $15.00USD ADS15kg stocker servo. You need a decent Digital servo for any Gyro.

For an extra few dollars you could have a PowerHD storm4 which is typically >£100 servo.... The URUAV rebranded Storm4 is selling at only £34 on BG right now. Its a great deal.

I watched a speed test on the FanModel servo in the 1 star reviews page on Amazon and it measured at 0.11/60deg at 8.4v rather than the advertised 0.7/60deg @8.4v which tbh was always a bit unlikely anyway considering it doesn't have a brushless motor... but I suppose its still going to be miles better than stock servo.

For an extra few dollars you could have a PowerHD storm4 which is typically >£100 servo.... The URUAV rebranded Storm4 is selling at only £34 on BG right now. Its a great deal.

I watched a speed test on the FanModel servo in the 1 star reviews page on Amazon and it measured at 0.11/60deg at 8.4v rather than the advertised 0.7/60deg @8.4v which tbh was always a bit unlikely anyway considering it doesn't have a brushless motor... but I suppose its still going to be miles better than stock servo.
I wouldn't say the FanModel is the fastest servo by any means. But it hasn't failed me yet. I beat the crap out of it. I'm sure it wont last forever. More than 6 months old right now. And way faster and stronger than the ADS15. Honestly, I don't like Very fast servos. I don't like dogs either. I usualy trim down ST expo. on my TX when they are too fast. Dam the Fanmodel is a very cheap coreless servo. If I get 6 months out of it I can toss it. Got my moneys worth. These are not competition rigs. That Power HD is a well known servo. I agree. You might have seen my review on AMZ. I am critical in my reviews. But FanModel hooked me up. BG has a lot of good stuff also. I have the expensive Savox, Hitec etc. I seem to get the same lifespan on my servos whether they are name brand or inexpensive. So as of late I give the cheaper brands a try.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back