Best soldering iron?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sMoKeN

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hello all I need help figuring out a great soldering iron I've looked at many for days an I swear so many have mixed reviews. Never really soldered but come to find out it's one the things definitely need to be able to do in this hobby. I want one that'll last, heat up fast. Any suggestions is welcome, also was thinking about picking up some 10 awg silicone wire just to try soldering connectors on to practice, I originally wanted to do ec5 but they seem very hard especially to get the bullets in the casing or maybe part of it is the ones I got in ebay. Anyhow please help a fellow rc person out

Hello all, I need help figuring out a great soldering iron I've looked at many for days. I swear so many have mixed reviews. Never really soldered, but come to find out it's one the things definitely need to be able to do in this hobby. I want one that'll last, heat up fast. Any suggestions is welcome, also was thinking about picking up some 10 awg silicone wire just to try soldering connectors on to practice, I originally wanted to do ec5 but they seem very hard especially to get the bullets in the casing or maybe part of it is the ones I got in ebay. Anyhow please help a fellow rc person out
We have an electric one, and it works great!

We have an electric one, and it works great!
That does not explain much what so ever...
I used a blowtorch.

I strongly advise not using a blowtorch as a soldering iron, because you'd probably have to resolder about 4 times.

What a blowtorch is good for, is for making creme brulee. I made some good creme brulee
I've got a torch kind aswell but it does not hold heat well just doesn't work well at all

I just ran down to our shop to check the brand.
It's a LONOVE High-efficiency soldering station.
This one?

Screenshot_20210519-184457_Amazon Shopping.jpg

No, that station is no good for battery wires.

Get something cheap[ like this, takes 2 min to heat up but you need the power. Any soldering station will struggle and you need to know what you are doing to make it work.

For large wires use this type:
https://smile.amazon.com/Weller-SP80NUS-80-Watts-Soldering-Iron/dp/B00B3SG796/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=soldering+iron&qid=1621464465&sr=8-25&th=1

The station types are for everything smaller. Yes, you could get it to work with a lot of heat, right tip, time and knowledge.
Under no circumstance get a 'pistol type', they are the worst for this work.

Also, check here:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...connector-types-choosing-and-soldering.10224/

You use it to solder battery connectors an all i assume? Guessing it works well?
Heard pretty good things about it just heard the buttons/ way to operate it is crap
No, that station is no good for battery wires.

Get something cheap[ like this, takes 2 min to heat up but you need the power. Any soldering station will struggle and you need to know what you are doing to make it work.

For large wires use this type:
https://smile.amazon.com/Weller-SP80NUS-80-Watts-Soldering-Iron/dp/B00B3SG796/ref=sr_1_25?dchild=1&keywords=soldering+iron&qid=1621464465&sr=8-25&th=1

The station types are for everything smaller. Yes, you could get it to work with a lot of heat, right tip, time and knowledge.
Under no circumstance get a 'pistol type', they are the worst for this work.

Also, check here:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...connector-types-choosing-and-soldering.10224/
So you don't think that station gingle shared would work good for battery connectors etc?

If you're just learning, it's hard to go wrong with a 25w Weller pencil iron. Of course, if you want to spend, a variable temp soldering station makes life nice.

If you're just learning, it's hard to go wrong with a 25w Weller pencil iron. Of course, if you want to spend, a variable temp soldering station makes life nice.
I figure if what he linked will work well it'll be a good investment. So with that being the case the soldering station should work fine for me correct?

I figure if what he linked will work well it'll be a good investment. So with that being the case the soldering station should work fine for me correct?
Oh, certainly. Heat control is nice, especially for fine work or heavy stuff like motor/esc connectors. I have a German made soldering station that's all I use anymore at the bench. But the inexpensive, USA-quality, trusty old Weller 25 watt is all you'd ever need if you're practical or on a budget.

Oh, certainly. Heat control is nice, especially for fine work or heavy stuff like motor/esc connectors. I have a German made soldering station that's all I use anymore at the bench. But the inexpensive, USA-quality, trusty old Weller 25 watt is all you'd ever need if you're practical or on a budget.
Thanks, reckon I'll go ahead an buy that station he linked. Think going to get some wire and practice. I bought a cheap iron it takes forever to heat up an doesn't hold heat the best an then this lexivon butane one i have won't hold the heat or get really hot so it's like I want something that I can kinda learn on but that'll last me an be able to do whatever I need it for. So I figure now after speaking with you all get the solder station he linked maybe buy extra set of tips an get some wire keep watching videos/ reading up an practice. Think sounds like a solid plan?

For this hobby and many other tasks I'd say this iron. I've noticed the hobby companies and others seem to be rebrands of Hakko's 936 station which is similar though the 888 tips seem to have more mass which is even better for battery soldering. Now the Hakko FX951 is an amazing station with the way the tips work and some other features but that's for someone soldering all the time.

If you go Hakko they'll have a wide flat tip for any of their stations for heavy battery leads. Bent tips and chisels work well for board work if you're doing any of that. Something like quads where you're working with small pads on small boards.

Whatever you go with keep the tips in good shape, keep solder on them when in use and even leave some on the tip when cool to keep it from oxidizing. The brass mesh balls to clean the tip work best when in use, as they leave a light layer of solder on compared to wiping it down with the wet sponges.

For this hobby and many other tasks I'd say this iron. I've noticed the hobby companies and others seem to be rebrands of Hakko's 936 station which is similar though the 888 tips seem to have more mass which is even better for battery soldering. Now the Hakko FX951 is an amazing station with the way the tips work and some other features but that's for someone soldering all the time.

If you go Hakko they'll have a wide flat tip for any of their stations for heavy battery leads. Bent tips and chisels work well for board work if you're doing any of that. Something like quads where you're working with small pads on small boards.

Whatever you go with keep the tips in good shape, keep solder on them when in use and even leave some on the tip when cool to keep it from oxidizing. The brass mesh balls to clean the tip work best when in use, as they leave a light layer of solder on compared to wiping it down with the wet sponges.
I wish I would have seen this info a long time ago. Learned the hard way with tips oxidizing.

Thanks yeah I bought a pack of the thermaltronic or whatever. Trying to find tips for the solder gingle shared. Part of me wants to get that hakko just that's basically double the price. Plan to solder for rc so mainly rc connectors or maybe esc or motor wires. Part of me is hesitant to get that 80watt Weller solder iron instead for now just means if anything I'll prolly get a station down the road but the 80w Weller should work fine for just doing connectors an motor/esc wires right?

Thanks yeah I bought a pack of the thermaltronic or whatever. Trying to find tips for the solder gingle shared. Part of me wants to get that hakko just that's basically double the price. Plan to solder for rc so mainly rc connectors or maybe esc or motor wires. Part of me is hesitant to get that 80watt Weller solder iron instead for now just means if anything I'll prolly get a station down the road but the 80w Weller should work fine for just doing connectors an motor/esc wires right?
Right, soldering the battery leads is another animal. That $20 Weller with the massive tip, a tool meant for a purpose like heavy gauged wire. When you need to worry about board level work then go get a Hakko. By the way, many fakes on the stations and tips. Get it from a place that is a proper dealer.

I was using a basic iron before. No issues. I just wanted a station. Besides, my wife hadn’t yelled at me in a while so I was due anyway.

Edit: @kavax has a good point. No issues with wire soldering. Board work on the other hand...the basic iron was a beating.

Right, soldering the battery leads is another animal. That $20 Weller with the massive tip, a tool meant for a purpose like heavy gauged wire. When you need to worry about board level work then go get a Hakko. By the way, many fakes on the stations and tips. Get it from a place that is a proper dealer.
Thanks, yeah I only plan on doing the rc connectors an motor or esc wires atm reckon that 80 watt Weller is calling my name then. Maybe grab some more tips an find a holder for it. Just on Amazon there are so many mixed reviews so I brought it here, even on the stations it's like I just want a good one I can learn with an solder rc connectors an some wires here an there
I was using a basic iron before. No issues. I just wanted a station. Besides, my wife hadn’t yelled at me in a while so I was due anyway.

Edit: @kavax has a good point. No issues with wire soldering. Board work on the other hand...the basic iron was a beating.

Hahaha love it, reckon just get the for now get used to soldering connectors an wires then drop some cash on a hakko or something

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back