Best soldering iron?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, yeah I only plan on doing the rc connectors an motor or esc wires atm reckon that 80 watt Weller is calling my name then. Maybe grab some more tips an find a holder for it. Just on Amazon there are so many mixed reviews so I brought it here, even on the stations it's like I just want a good one I can learn with an solder rc connectors an some wires here an there

Hahaha love it, reckon just get the for now get used to soldering connectors an wires then drop some cash on a hakko or something
Amazon reviews can be real garbage data, don't focus too hard on that with some items. Particularly with something like a soldering iron or RCs where user error can account for a lot.

Hahaha love it, reckon just get the for now get used to soldering connectors an wires then drop some cash on a hakko or something

That’s a solid plan. Though, a lot can be said for learning and practicing with a quality iron.

That’s a solid plan. Though, a lot can be said for learning and practicing with a quality iron.
So you think I should go ahead an just get the soldering station?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HGQ4F8...abc_BESFS3VQ4J4XFKG9JVVH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one I'm considering that gingle said worked good. It's 15$ off atm so like 54 bucks?

Purely up to you, but I would. If you know you’ll step up to one eventually, might as well use the money you would have put toward a basic one.
Indeed, an that one i shared should work fine for esc/ motor wires and connectors right? Just use the chisel like tip?

Indeed, an that one i shared should work fine for esc/ motor wires and connectors right? Just use the chisel like tip?
I would think so, but it sounds like @kavax might have better input for that. My station is great for motor wires and connectors. I don’t see why that one wouldn’t. It has basically the same temp range as mine. As long as it gets hot and you have the right tip for the application, you’re golden.

I would think so, but it sounds like @kavax might have better input for that. My station is great for motor wires and connectors. I don’t see why that one wouldn’t. It has basically the same temp range as mine. As long as it gets hot and you have the right tip for the application, you’re golden.
Awesome gonna go ahead an order, I thank you both for the great information an good convo. Maybe @kavax Will give some input before it ships ^^

For the wire it just needs to be silicone copper tinned i assume? Just wondering if should get it off amain or get some on Amazon or get some in person from home depot or Lowes

Awesome gonna go ahead an order, I thank you both for the great information an good convo. Maybe @kavax Will give some input before it ships ^^

For the wire it just needs to be silicone copper tinned i assume? Just wondering if should get it off amain or get some on Amazon or get some in person from home depot or Lowes
Now that I’m not sure. I do like the quality of silicone wire from amain though. I’ll probably go that route when I need some. We are probably overpaying for wire, but it sure is nice compared to some of the stuff I’ve received from Amazon.

No idea on that station, it screams of Chinesium and imitation. They even have fake pictures of the thing in their listing. The tips are dirt cheap so I guess you could just rotate and or replace them.

No idea on that station, it screams of Chinesium and imitation. They even have fake pictures of the thing in their listing. The tips are dirt cheap so I guess you could just rotate and or replace them.
Well you know of any others ? Just trying not to spend 100$ atm kinda make me just wanna get the soldering iron from weller now the 80 wat for 21$.

Edit
The reviews seem nice, I locked in the price for 54$, really curious if should back out get the weller 80 watt soldering iron now just get the hakko later or whatever
Now that I’m not sure. I do like the quality of silicone wire from amain though. I’ll probably go that route when I need some. We are probably overpaying for wire, but it sure is nice compared to some of the stuff I’ve received from Amazon.
Yeah was wondering myself, figured with amain least we know for sure what we're getting. Was thinking of getting some protek 10 awg 1 meter of red an black is like 6.99 each

Last edited:
Well you know of any others ? Just trying not to spend 100$ atm kinda make me just wanna get the soldering iron from weller now the 80 wat for 21$.

Edit
The reviews seem nice, I locked in the price for 54$, really curious if should back out get the weller 80 watt soldering iron now just get the hakko later or whatever
No, not saying there aren't any. When you get a proper station it will last for decades. I would just get the heavy duty one for doing battery terminals and wait on a full station.

No, not saying there aren't any. When you get a proper station it will last for decades. I would just get the heavy duty one for doing battery terminals and wait on a full station.
Thanks bud yeah I'm gonna go ahead an do just that. Between you and @TexAg09 you've both been a great help an insightful. Figure since not 100% sure get the one I can use an practice with for now then later just get the hakko since many swear by it or in the least be more sure on what I want. So just ordered this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3SG79...abc_85CRA1S7MH1FA37MFZFH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

, thinking about getting a holder, think it'll be okay if I just set it down just figure prolly outta get something to elevate it cause the heat from the tip is only like inch from surface what you think?

It's almost all chinesium these days. If that station does 90w, you'll have heat to spare. A soldering station isn't an iPhone when it comes to electronics, it's more like a toaster or maybe a waffle iron.

For wire, the silicone insulation primarily gives you high heat tolerance (600 degrees). For RC, that's what you want. Tinned wire is less prone to oxidation, and the solder doesn't roll off when it should stick, assuming the temp is right. I judge the quality of wire by how many strands it has (or how fine the strands are) for a given gauge. It's also common to see cheap wire advertised as one gauge, but the wire inside tells another story. For just getting practice, use whatever you can find. Cut the cord off of your wife's curling iron and practice with that.

Thanks bud yeah I'm gonna go ahead an do just that. Between you and @TexAg09 you've both been a great help an insightful. Figure since not 100% sure get the one I can use an practice with for now then later just get the hakko since many swear by it or in the least be more sure on what I want. So just ordered this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B3SG79...abc_85CRA1S7MH1FA37MFZFH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

, thinking about getting a holder, think it'll be okay if I just set it down just figure prolly outta get something to elevate it cause the heat from the tip is only like inch from surface what you think?
I can guarantee you @kavax has the experience. I just blow money and try to learn (again, the wife isn’t a fan). As for a holder, there might be a simple solution you could make at home maybe? Surely there’s a cheapo one on amazon that would work. Looks like that station you ordered has free returns. So there’s always the option to just send it back if it looks cheesy. Then again, if you’re already halfway to a nice station that will last do you want to buy it twice? So maybe the $20 weller then station later might be the better route if you don’t want to shell out $100+. Not to mention, the weller will always be useful if you need to solder something away from your workstation. For example, I can’t easily use my station on my car.

I was about to tag @Monster Dork. Another very knowledgeable resource on this forum. (y)

I can guarantee you @kavax has the experience. I just blow money and try to learn (again, the wife isn’t a fan). As for a holder, there might be a simple solution you could make at home maybe? Surely there’s a cheapo one on amazon that would work. Looks like that station you ordered has free returns. So there’s always the option to just send it back if it looks cheesy. Then again, if you’re already halfway to a nice station that will last do you want to buy it twice? So maybe the $20 weller then station later might be the better route if you don’t want to shell out $100+. Not to mention, the weller will always be useful if you need to solder something away from your workstation. For example, I can’t easily use my station on my car.
That's very true, yeah Amazon has cheap ones for like 8 bucks comes with the sponge i can spend 20 get a nice one with area for brass and a sponge. Just noticed aswell in the info part of solder station it says usa 1 year exclusive warranty defect, accidental, or non satisfaction. Think gonna just pull the trigger on the station or maybe order both an try the station an if I don't like just send it back an keep the weller

I'm sure there are generic holders. Or get a silicone mat meant for soldering work which is good for working on other things too. Those mats are usually good for temps above where the iron can go. They all have dividers for keeping track of small parts and screws. Some even have magnets in them.

https://www.amazon.com/Kaisiking-Silicone-Magnetic-Soldering-Electronics/dp/B083SRJ144

I think I have 10 or 12 soldering irons of different types. I have Weller pencils in 15, 25, and 40w flavors in duplicate and triplicate, the CFH soldering station, and at least three Wen automotive trigger types. I keep them in different work areas, tool kits, vehicles... I even have a nifty field soldering iron that has a XT60 connector to run off of Lipos. Butane irons suck, or at least the ones I've attempted to use. Point is, if you're savvy enough to fix things, you can't go wrong owning one or a dozen.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I prefer the wet sponge. Dip the tip in paste flux and wipe on the sponge. Brass coils work too, but I think the sponge is better. For a stand, you'll want one with a very heavy base, or even screwed down.

What's this blasphemy about not being able to use a soldering station on your car? Powered by the onboard inverter that needs the engine running whilst using the battery as a soldering station.

2kRhVRf.jpg

What's this blasphemy about not being able to use a soldering station on your car? Powered by the onboard inverter that needs the engine running whilst using the battery as a soldering station.

2kRhVRf.jpg
Haha awesome. I especially like that grip technique. You must have very tough fingers. My battery is inside my rear bumper. Very odd design. To access it I have to remove a wheel and a panel.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back