Mojave Best steering servo Mojave

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi guys, I'm John with ProModeler and I just want to say I'm humbled at what some of you have written about our servos. Here's the background on some you've mentioned. We began with our S420. It transition to DS420 because so many folks were asking if our servo was digital (they all are, but back in the day, analog servos were still pretty common). Using DS meant folks groked they were digital. When my motor vendor offered me a more powerful and faster motor, the DS420 became the DS470BLHV and note, breaking the code is easy . . .
  • DS = Digital Servo
  • 470 = torque in oz-in
  • BL = Brushless (CL = coreless) - click to read About RC Servo Motors if you don't know diddly about servo motor construction
  • HV = High Voltage (up to 8.4V)
So one day a new motor vendor came along and whispered sweet nothings in my ear about how great they were. This led me to give their motor a try and it really was more powerful, so the DS470 became the DS555 and life was good 'until' a few month later and out of the bue they doubled the price. This meant if we kept using their motor it would cost as much as the DS930BLHV so that was a nope!

So I went crawling back to my old motor guy. He laughed and said, 'No hard feelings!', and offered me something new they'd been working on. This became the DS505 and best part was it cost the same as the motor in the 470 while being a little bit more powerful and faster (competitive drivers prize speed above torque). And note regarding 470, 505, 555 quite honestly, we can tell the difference in the lab but nobody on this planet could tell much difference in any 500 oz-in servo mounted in a rig. Anyway, the DS505BLHV has been in continuous production ever since. With regard to the DS630BLHV and DS930BLHV, they're just offshoots of the DS505 meaning different motors but same basic construction.

Finally, occasionally folks send me photos of their rigs in enough detail we can put together a caseSTUDY. These help guide the next guy and this is my point in stopping by. We offer these for rigs like the X-Maxx and Tekno EB48 2.0 but not the Mojave (yet). Thing is, if anybody would like to share a few photos with me, I'd be glad to put together a Mojave guide.
  1. Hold camera sideways, this is the landscape orientation (instead of vertically like for TikTok, which is portrait orientation)
  2. Don't frame too tightly, leave me plenty of breathing room around what you're showing - I'll frame it using Photoshop
  3. Send me the highest resolution image - 2MB is a lot better for this than 729KB
  4. And get a buddy, wife, or girlfriend (not at the same time), to take a photo of you holding your rig
Last thing, folks are forever asking why specs are in oz-in instead of Kg-cm. It's to do with us being an American company. While East Asian imports may share specs using Kg-cm, we stick with oz-in for the same reason Ford rates their Mustang as making 470 horsepower instead of using Watts, capice?

Hi guys, I'm John with ProModeler and I just want to say I'm humbled at what some of you have written about our servos. Here's the background on some you've mentioned. We began with our S420. It transition to DS420 because so many folks were asking if our servo was digital (they all are, but back in the day, analog servos were still pretty common). Using DS meant folks groked they were digital. When my motor vendor offered me a more powerful and faster motor, the DS420 became the DS470BLHV and note, breaking the code is easy . . .
  • DS = Digital Servo
  • 470 = torque in oz-in
  • BL = Brushless (CL = coreless) - click to read About RC Servo Motors if you don't know diddly about servo motor construction
  • HV = High Voltage (up to 8.4V)
So one day a new motor vendor came along and whispered sweet nothings in my ear about how great they were. This led me to give their motor a try and it really was more powerful, so the DS470 became the DS555 and life was good 'until' a few month later and out of the bue they doubled the price. This meant if we kept using their motor it would cost as much as the DS930BLHV so that was a nope!

So I went crawling back to my old motor guy. He laughed and said, 'No hard feelings!', and offered me something new they'd been working on. This became the DS505 and best part was it cost the same as the motor in the 470 while being a little bit more powerful and faster (competitive drivers prize speed above torque). And note regarding 470, 505, 555 quite honestly, we can tell the difference in the lab but nobody on this planet could tell much difference in any 500 oz-in servo mounted in a rig. Anyway, the DS505BLHV has been in continuous production ever since. With regard to the DS630BLHV and DS930BLHV, they're just offshoots of the DS505 meaning different motors but same basic construction.

Finally, occasionally folks send me photos of their rigs in enough detail we can put together a caseSTUDY. These help guide the next guy and this is my point in stopping by. We offer these for rigs like the X-Maxx and Tekno EB48 2.0 but not the Mojave (yet). Thing is, if anybody would like to share a few photos with me, I'd be glad to put together a Mojave guide. Just reach out to me via email: [email protected] and here are a few photography tips;
  1. Hold camera sideways, this is the landscape orientation (instead of vertically like for TikTok, which is portrait orientation)
  2. Don't frame too tightly, leave me plenty of breathing room around what you're showing - I'll frame it using Photoshop
  3. Send me the highest resolution image - 2MB is a lot better for this than 729KB
  4. And get a buddy, wife, or girlfriend (not at the same time), to take a photo of you holding your rig
Last thing, folks are forever asking why specs are in oz-in instead of Kg-cm. It's to do with us being an American company. While East Asian imports may share specs using Kg-cm, we stick with oz-in for the same reason Ford rates their Mustang as making 470 horsepower instead of using Watts, capice?
Very nice to hear from you! I’m a satisfied customer( have 4or5) and I have the DS630BLHV in my Mojave.
1654997463700.jpeg
1654997463700.jpeg

I'm really glad to see you using the isolation mounts we include with our servos. A lot of guys ditch them without realizing their function at protecting against vibration induced damage. Good job!
I stumbled across this and just learned what the rubber things are that came with my Savox servo... I didn't see in the instructions what those were for. Figured they were a generic other RCs. Haha

Depending on the servo (25T or 15T) we have an arm I believe will work - and - clamps like you requested.
PDRS25-25T
PDRS25-15T
The former fits pretty much any servo on the planet, the 15T version is for our BLS2 servos (DS635/845/1155).

BLS2 servos are still Standard size - but - have the same gnarly spline as our Quarter size servos. Internally the BLS2 gear train is significantly larger and more rugged than BLS1 servos (like DS505 and DS630 as well as competing servos like the nicely made Savox 2290SG). It's worth noting the satisfaction owners of BLS1 servos have reported within this thread.

To the question; 'Do I need the added beef of a BLS2 vs BLS1?' Honestly? Dunno . . . it's your call because we're all different and I can't possibly know how much abuse you dish out! However, to get a sense of the difference, this photo shows the DS635 before and after we went to the larger spline (note the DS845/1155 look the same while BLS1 servos look the same as the 25T DS635 in the background). To which I'll add . . . we went to this setup for good reason.
1024x768-DS635vs635v2-OUTPUT.jpg

2048x1536-sb2290sg-vs-ds846-gears_jpg.jpg

After my original servo lost its teeth 2 hours after purchase, I temporarily got a DSSERVO DS3225MG 25KG.
It held up well, but (especially after I started putting paddle tires on it) it lacked power and speed.
After much thought and consultation with forum members, this servo has been in place for a while and it is a world of difference compared to the 25KG variant.
I am very happy with this servo.
Not very expensive to purchase and yet reasonable specs.
If it breaks I will not cry and buy an identical one again.
The servo holds up well on all kinds of surfaces, even with paddle tires.
€34.16 on Ali.
DS3235 Pro-180Pic.jpg
DS3235 Pro-180.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know if this is a good place to mention this but we've been recently freed up to offer this to the open market (for the last two years it's been for the exclusive use of one of our defense contractor clients for whom we developed it). Means it's a very well proven and mature product, which has been battlefield tested. No, it's not for everyone but maybe it'll find an application in one of your models.

It's our DS490BLHV and it basically a 500 oz-in product like our DS505BLHV but with a lower profile than a typical standard class servo (and it's a BLS2 series like the DS845BLHV instead of a small spline BLS1 series servo). Speaking of which, take note how instead of the small 25T spline, it uses the gnarly 15T output spline of a 1/5th servo (and for which we offer many servo horns).

Also, and quite unlike cheaply made imports using extruded centers and low quality gears, this one is CNC machined from a solid billet of 6061-T6. Plus you get tougher stainless steel gears. Added to which, you get a greatly superior brushless motor instead of the cheaper coreless for a 5X greater service life, plus it's sealed with 13 o-rings.

Expensive? Yes, but file under buy once, cry once . . . or put another way, you really do get what you pay for.

1024x763-DS490-RENDER1.jpg

- The yellow denotes the o-rings used for sealing against the environment, the brown are bronze hardpoints

1024x768-DS835BLHV-guts.jpg

- Larger gears, larger bearings, larger shafts, larger output spline . . . bigger really is better.

1024x768-DS490BLHV.jpg

- The compact standard size footprint (40x20mm) but with a lower profile - meets eight MIL-STDS

1024x763-DS490-RENDER1.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know if this is a good place to mention this but we've been recently freed up to offer this to the open market (for the last two years it's been for the exclusive use of one of our defense contractor clients for whom we developed it). Means it's a very well proven and mature product, which has been battlefield tested. No, it's not for everyone but maybe it'll find an application in one of your models.

It's our DS490BLHV and it basically a 500 oz-in product like our DS505BLHV but with a lower profile than a typical standard class servo (and it's a BLS2 series like the DS845BLHV instead of a small spline BLS1 series servo). Speaking of which, take note how instead of the small 25T spline, it uses the gnarly 15T output spline of a 1/5th servo (and for which we offer many servo horns).

Also, and quite unlike cheaply made imports using extruded centers and low quality gears, this one is CNC machined from a solid billet of 6061-T6. Plus you get tougher stainless steel gears. Added to which, you get a greatly superior brushless motor instead of the cheaper coreless for a 5X greater service life, plus it's sealed with 13 o-rings.

Expensive? Yes, but file under buy once, cry once . . . or put another way, you really do get what you pay for.

View attachment 323643
- The yellow denotes the o-rings used for sealing against the environment, the brown are bronze hardpoints

View attachment 323642
- Larger gears, larger bearings, larger shafts, larger output spline . . . bigger really is better.

View attachment 323641
- The compact standard size footprint (40x20mm) but with a lower profile - meets eight MIL-STDS

View attachment 323638
Howdy John, thanks for sharing the update. I have a perfect use for one of these, and just ordered one up with a d-harness and a LiIon.
Thanks again for some great servos!
EDIT: Dammit, I forgot to order a 15t horn…. I’ll add that, too!
Achtung Mods: Maybe move John’s post #51 to a new thread in Electronics?
Titled New ProModeler servo ?

Last edited:
Dan, because I'm working today, it was easy for me to go into the order system back end and combine those orders. This saved you that added shipping charge. Your card has been refunded the difference.

Dan, because I'm working today, it was easy for me to go into the order system back end and combine those orders. This saved you that added shipping charge. Your card has been refunded the difference.
Thanks again, John! Can’t wait to try the new flavor of servo. Specs look great for this particular car.

By the way, we're often asked what makes our servos better. This brief white paper discusses repair and you may find it an interesting read as it makes mention of a thing we experience a lot with servos used in RC trucks. It's tiled . . . On rebuilding DS505s and it should be good reading for anybody curious what goes on inside a servo. That, and the steps in the process of making a gear repair the right way.

By the way, we're often asked what makes our servos better. This brief white paper discusses repair and you may find it an interesting read as it makes mention of a thing we experience a lot with servos used in RC trucks. It's tiled . . . On rebuilding DS505s and it should be good reading for anybody curious what goes on inside a servo. That, and the steps in the process of making a gear repair the right way.
Yep, tanked my DS635CL on a hard crash. I’ll be calling John soon for a repair job.

Hey guys, can one of you do me a favor, please? I've poked around and don't seem to have a customer photo of a Mojave. So while I have tons for an X-Maxx, TRX4, Kraton, etc. nothing for the Arrma Mojave. Anyway, I'm keen to add an Arrma article similar to this one for the the X-MAXX-standard servos and Traxxas Sledge Steering or this one for a TEKNO - Servo, 1/8th scale comp buggy - to our growing caseSTUDY collection. But I need a few Mojave photos to do the same for an Arrma rig.

What photos? Basically, one of a happy owner holding their rig, plus one or two showing the servo installation. This, because beyond the caseSTUDY article, I also like using them within the product description's installation section. For example, for one of our quarter size DS1735BLDP servos, if you scroll to the Installation - Axial SCX6 you'll see exactly what else I may do with your photo.

Oh, and photos welcomed for any other rigs you may own as long as it has one of our servos installed.

What for since a servo installation is a no brainer? Well, it may be a no brainer for you or me, but I've learned there are folks out there fearful of making *any* change to their rig. Yes, hard to believe, but a fact in my line of work. Point being, this kind of thing is giving back to the sport because it serves to guide newbies who need a bit of handholding (and we all started somewhere). This means, any additional tips or thoughts you wish you'd known about your rig, and which the next guy may find helpful, would be great! This, because I don't mind promoting the vehicle itself and any accessories you've added since it can't possibly hurt us, so win-win - especially if you tell me what it is you added, why, and what your experience turned out to be (like great or this was a dud, because pretty much no matter what you have to say, it will be valuable to the next guy).

Oh, and I'll write it, so no worries on that score, I just need a few photos.

1024x1024-IG-Charles-Moradi-Kraton-8S-DS1735BLDP.jpg

1024x1024-IG-Keith-Sherrill-Limitless-DS630.jpg

1024x1024-IG-Mark-Tree-VS-410-Pro-DS505.jpg

1024x1024-IG-Sean-Carsten-Axial-Ryft-DS635.jpg

O

Last edited:
Hey guys, can one of you do me a favor, please? I've poked around and don't seem to have a customer photo of a Mojave. So while I have tons for an X-Maxx, TRX4, Kraton, etc. nothing for the Arrma Mojave. Anyway, I'm keen to add an Arrma article similar to this one for the the X-MAXX-standard servos and Traxxas Sledge Steering or this one for a TEKNO - Servo, 1/8th scale comp buggy - to our growing caseSTUDY collection. But I need a few Mojave photos to do the same for an Arrma rig.

What photos? Basically, one of a happy owner holding their rig, plus one or two showing the servo installation. This, because beyond the caseSTUDY article, I also like using them within the product description's installation section. For example, for one of our quarter size DS1735BLDP servos, if you scroll to the Installation - Axial SCX6 you'll see exactly what else I may do with your photo.

Oh, and photos welcomed for any other rigs you may own as long as it has one of our servos installed.

What for since a servo installation is a no brainer? Well, it may be a no brainer for you or me, but I've learned there are folks out there fearful of making *any* change to their rig. Yes, hard to believe, but a fact in my line of work. Point being, this kind of thing is giving back to the sport because it serves to guide newbies who need a bit of handholding (and we all started somewhere). This means, any additional tips or thoughts you wish you'd known about your rig, and which the next guy may find helpful, would be great! This, because I don't mind promoting the vehicle itself and any accessories you've added since it can't possibly hurt us, so win-win - especially if you tell me what it is you added, why, and what your experience turned out to be (like great or this was a dud, because pretty much no matter what you have to say, it will be valuable to the next guy).

Oh, and I'll write it, so no worries on that score, I just need a few photos.

View attachment 326709

View attachment 326710

View attachment 326711

View attachment 326712
O
Photos are on the way.👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back