Senton Best tire for the Senton?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sentonist

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
As the title says, I'm looking for some good advice on what tires to buy for my Senton, I currently have the stock set of dboots fortress tires, and a set of bfg baja kr2's. dboots does great on gravel, but sucks on asphalt. The bfg tires does great on asphalt, but is mediocre on dirt and gravel.

I'm kinda looking for something that will do great all round, I've considered getting the granite MT tires for it and trimming the body down. I also considered the dboots backflip tires... but I don't think trimming the body will be enough to accommodate those massive tires lol.

But yeah, open to any ideas here!

Duratrax has a whole line of options with the 14mm hex. I haven’t used any, but they have quite a few to choose from.
I’m running granite tires on my Senton, and trimming the body, and stepping down on the pinion is all that’s needed.

Here is my opinion from what i have experience with my senton 3s blx, Dboots suck for me, i used them in pavement, only lasted me 3 uses, they were smooth with no thread. So i ordered some duratrax dtxc5250 for pavement, first issue they balloon like the size of my face, no joke, therefore u have to cut the body and it does wheelies all the time even with 2s. I ordered some duratrax lockups the smaller size dtxc5208 and the tires came off the wheel, like they had no glue :/ those i got to return and got my refund back. Now i ordered me some Pro lines 1167-24 street fighters for the senton 6s and i also ordered the adapters from hot racing, about to try them when i get home and hopefully those are the last tires i order this month. Ill update you my opinion on those pro line tires later.
All these tires have been for 14mm hex, but now converting to 17mm.

Thank you sir. I ended up going with an experimental set, no one really talks about them and I wanted to try them out. for info it's the speedtreads breakaway sc. I'll get back with this thread once that's done

My brother has a redcat sct10e shortcourse he has those speedthreads and i think they are good for the prize. His are 12mm hex size like yours.

Hi Sentonist,
For my kids, I put Proline Trencher sticks on basics Arrma 14 mm wheels. Correct for all around use and local track.

PL

Those tires look pretty good! I will definitely keep them in mind. Thank you sir.

On a side note, to my view of the wheels they look painted, if that is true what sort of paint did you use?

Duratrax has a whole line of options with the 14mm hex. I haven’t used any, but they have quite a few to choose from.
I’m running granite tires on my Senton, and trimming the body, and stepping down on the pinion is all that’s needed.
I’m considering going the MT route with my senton as well. How do you like it? Is it better in the corners and easier to control at high speeds?

Its more of a 'do anything' type of a machine with the larger tires. Its pretty much unstoppable. But Im actually considering switching back to a tire closer to the original size in hopes of getting a better handle on the handling performance of the truck. I guess Im just used to a truggy that pretty much never rolls. This one seems to roll a lot no matter what tires I have on it. Its probably me expecting too much from a narrower car, but either way, Im not sure the larger tires helped in the turns. Overall, yes, they help. But perhaps not in the handling department.

Good to know, is going with 1/8 buddy tire more for a track setup? I primarily run mine in the yard and on the road and I too tend to roll which I am new to this. Would like to stop by the local rc track in the future but not for any serious racing. Either way I go it is recommended to drop a few teeth correct?

Im not sure how the 1/8 buggy tires behave. since I haven't yet tried any. There are certainly some guys who run them on the 6s Sentons, I know that for sure, and I think a few guys run them on the 3S BLX as well, but to me they seem narrow and tall which to me seems a bit counterintuitive to what Im trying to do. But again, I cant say from experience.
From what Ive read, the Granite, which is essentially the same truck (slightly shorter) once you toss Granite wheels on it, has a maximum pinion size of 18T. But your Senton probably came with a 20 and a 15. So you need to drop to the 15 with the Granite wheels. The stock motor mount doesn't have the option to run an 18T pinion, so I recently ordered the HR adjustable motor mount and tossed an 18T on it. It flies. It takes a bit more to go this way since you need a different motor mount, but the 18T with the big tires is very fun. So was the 15T though, so don't feel like you MUST do an 18T.

Sounds like you’ve done everything I wanna do. I agree with what you’re saying about buggy tires. Guess I just shouldn’t be a cheapskate and try them both out. Leaning towards the granite wheels since they’re 14mm and go with the 18t pinion like you said with the adjustable motor mount. Don’t wanna lose anymore too speed than I have to. Thanks for the info, it’s good stuff

I've done the Granite Wheels with a 15T pinion and is IMO is a really good combo for bashing. Currently I am on 20T pinion, Hot racing 17mm Hex Hub 10mm offset, with 1/8 buggy Pro-line Badlands wheels and its really a must try combo. No ballooning, lots of grip on multiple surfaces and its overall diameter is close to the stock wheels.

I've done the Granite Wheels with a 15T pinion and is IMO is a really good combo for bashing. Currently I am on 20T pinion, Hot racing 17mm Hex Hub 10mm offset, with 1/8 buggy Pro-line Badlands wheels and its really a must try combo. No ballooning, lots of grip on multiple surfaces and its overall diameter is close to the stock wheels.
Is there much of a difference in handling between the two? Either one have an advantage over the other in cornering or body roll that you’ve noticed?

Those tires look pretty good! I will definitely keep them in mind. Thank you sir.

On a side note, to my view of the wheels they look painted, if that is true what sort of paint did you use?

No problem.
No, original black paint. Those Trencher are so-so on the track because they rounded sides (not flat). But great for bashing (and increase a bit the R/C front height.
PL
note; talking of paint, if you want sliver Arrma wheel, just put Arrma chrome wheels (Senton 3s) in acethon and magic silver wheels will be created. Kind of Traxxas Slash wheels. My 7 y/o daughter loves them;

It does not work on original Arrma black wheels.

Just about handling and Buggy tires. If I compare;
VP Pro (inside track)/Duratrax C2 (outside track)/Proline Trencher (all around);

From our experiences of handling/cornering on carpet/dirty, the VP Pro is the best of all 3.
The Duratrax are very good on track sand.
Can't use VP Pro on asphalt. So, the C2 becomes a pretty good alternative, better than the Trencher. But Trencher will last longer… So … :)
PL

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back