Typhon Better electronics for an arrma typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamminHyaku

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I currently clock about 72kph /44.7mph on my 1/8 arrma typhon. It is running a 1512 2650k Castle motor with a Hobbywing xerun esc. (im not sure if the ESC is 80A or 150A but it says 4S Lipo on it so thats what I run) Gearing 19t/50t. Wheels are hard foam 90mm diameter (zero ballooning)
Question is, I have an Arrma outcast with a stock 6S BLX motor and ESC (2200kv), and im wondering if it would be worthwhile to swap the typhon and outcasts electronics. Would the typhon be much faster on the stock BLX setup on 6S rather than 4S even though the motor is lower kV? Would the outcast even perform noticeably any lesser on 4S? What kind of speed difference would I be looking at?

I see alot of people online getting 100-120mph on near stock typhons and Im not sure what I need to do to get that, my 45mph doesn't even compare. I think a big issue is the wheels, ballooning would help the gear ratio and go faster correct? What wheels are recommended for the 60-80mph range? Ive been looking at duratrax banditos, proline roadrages, primes, or something along those lines.

You don't want to put the 1512-2650 Kv motor in your Outcast. Not enough motor. The ESC is probably not enough either.

I think a big issue is the wheels, ballooning would help the gear ratio and go faster correct? What wheels are recommended for the 60-80mph range? Ive been looking at duratrax banditos, proline roadrages, primes, or something along those lines.
If you want to go fast then imho GRP's are the only way to go for tyres.

You do not want your tyres to balloon and it won't help you go faster. When the tyre balloons AFAIK it provides less contact patch with the road so less traction, less control, poor handling and can in some extreme cases destroy the tyre.

Take a look at my thread here about my Typhon which I'm using for speed runs: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/speed-runner-typhon-6s-uk-built-fast-not-bought-fast.10482/
Also @Dutch213 who also has a Typhon which he's building up towards doing speed runs with: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-typhon-journey-to-speed-build-thread.9903/

Hopefully you'll find some useful info in those threads but if not continue to ask as most members on here are willing to help if they can I find. (y)

Judging by your combo it's probably not even a real castle motor, and that is definitely an xerun 80a. Realize, most of the time, getting high speed doesn't require that much cash in electronics... it's all about suspension tuning and driver skill. 4s lipo and a 2650kv motor is all you need, it's been done many times. (Given it was with real neu castle motors) Gear it around 30t pinion and 40t spur, put some grp tires or jaco foams, tune your suspension correctly, and get a good road. Just realize you'll never be able to take it anywhere but the street if you try and tackle 100mph. Takes a lot of experience, and if youre new to speed running, a lot of research, trial, and error.

Judging your esc kinda blows (no offense lol) and your castle is probably counterfeit, it'll be a little hard but can be done... that esc needs to go though, a hobbywing 80 amp isn't enough. I'll give you a short list of the escs that will work, buy whatever one you can find cheapest. You'll definitely need to do some soldering, but all these esc's are capable. I'll go from least to most, but they'll all do it.

Bracket 1: these are all basically equal.
Hobbywing SC8
Arrma blx185
Castle mamba max pro

Bracket 2: these are a little more capable
Hobbywing max8
Castle sidewinder 8th
Castle mamba monster X

Bracket 3: these are the most capable but not necessary
Castle Mamba monster 2
Castle mamba monster original
Hobbywing max6

Also the post above mine is very accurate.. ballooning is not the wave. Especially not when speed running. Realize if you could just use tires that balloon and throw in a high amperage high voltage motor and esc everyone would do speed runs. Not only is that not the case, you really don't need any of those, it's all in the suspension.

Last edited:
Judging by your combo it's probably not even a real castle motor, and that is definitely an xerun 80a. Realize, most of the time, getting high speed doesn't require that much cash in electronics... it's all about suspension tuning and driver skill. 4s lipo and a 2650kv motor is all you need, it's been done many times. (Given it was with real neu castle motors) Gear it around 30t pinion and 40t spur, put some grp tires or jaco foams, tune your suspension correctly, and get a good road. Just realize you'll never be able to take it anywhere but the street if you try and tackle 100mph. Takes a lot of experience, and if youre new to speed running, a lot of research, trial, and error.

Judging your esc kinda blows (no offense lol) and your castle is probably counterfeit, it'll be a little hard but can be done... that esc needs to go though, a hobbywing 80 amp isn't enough. I'll give you a short list of the escs that will work, buy whatever one you can find cheapest. You'll definitely need to do some soldering, but all these esc's are capable. I'll go from least to most, but they'll all do it.

Bracket 1: these are all basically equal.
Hobbywing SC8
Arrma blx185
Castle mamba max pro

Bracket 2: these are a little more capable
Hobbywing max8
Castle sidewinder 8th
Castle mamba monster X

Bracket 3: these are the most capable but not necessary
Castle Mamba monster 2
Castle mamba monster original
Hobbywing max6

Also the post above mine is very accurate.. ballooning is not the wave. Especially not when speed running. Realize if you could just use tires that balloon and throw in a high amperage high voltage motor and esc everyone would do speed runs. Not only is that not the case, you really don't need any of those, it's all in the suspension.
You honestly are going on nothing saying that the castle motor is counterfeit, and I really see no reason why you would jump to such a conclusion. I am pretty certain it is real, it is probably my 10th or so castle product ive gotten in the last year. Like I said in my post, im just looking to get closer to the 60-80mph range. Thanks anyway.

I currently clock about 72kph /44.7mph on my 1/8 arrma typhon. It is running a 1512 2650k Castle motor with a Hobbywing xerun esc. (im not sure if the ESC is 80A or 150A but it says 4S Lipo on it so thats what I run) Gearing 19t/50t. Wheels are hard foam 90mm diameter (zero ballooning)
Question is, I have an Arrma outcast with a stockto reach you 6S BLX motor and ESC (2200kv), and im wondering if it would be worthwhile to swap the typhon and outcasts electronics. Would the typhon be much faster on the stock BLX setup on 6S rather than 4S even though the motor is lower kV? Would the outcast even perform noticeably any lesser on 4S? What kind of speed difference would I be looking at?

I see alot of people online getting 100-120mph on near stock typhons and Im not sure what I need to do to get that, my 45mph doesn't even compare. I think a big issue is the wheels, ballooning would help the gear ratio and go faster correct? What wheels are recommended for the 60-80mph range? Ive been looking at duratrax banditos, proline roadrages, primes, or something along those lines.

Using a speed calculator, you'd would still not be able to reach you;r desired speed if you choose to go with the 6S BLX. You'd need more aggressive gearing, like 25/46.

The 1512/Xerun combo might just be a little underpowered for your Outcast, it's a much heavier machine

EDIT: Swapping to the 6SBLX system will give you more speed, but not much more. It wont be the silver bullet you're looking for

Last edited:
Using a speed calculator, you'd would still not be able to reach you;r desired speed if you choose to go with the 6S BLX. You'd need more aggressive gearing, like 25/46.

The 1512/Xerun combo might just be a little underpowered for your Outcast, it's a much heavier machine

EDIT: Swapping to the 6SBLX system will give you more speed, but not much more. It wont be the silver bullet you're looking for
Thank you very much thats very helpful!

You honestly are going on nothing saying that the castle motor is counterfeit, and I really see no reason why you would jump to such a conclusion. I am pretty certain it is real, it is probably my 10th or so castle product ive gotten in the last year. Like I said in my post, im just looking to get closer to the 60-80mph range. Thanks anyway.
My apologies, didn’t mean to offend. I was going off the fact that you posted in another thread that you were only getting ~30mph and I was also going off the fact that castle stopped all sensorless 8th scale motor production about 4 years ago. Once again, I am sorry if that small detail out of my whole reply upset you and I don’t mean harm.

My senton 6s is also geared 19/50. On 6s lipo and the stock blx185 system it goes 75 flat.

Exception is the 1515B.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back