Outcast Better motor for the 6S outcast with a max6 esc running 6S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

Bash Break Repeat!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Outcast 6s
Finding it hard to search for a motor on here, coming back with a whole lot of stuff that's irrelevant, so thought I'd make a thread for it.

I'm looking for something that runs cooler and doesn't work the esc so hard so I can gear a bit taller and make it a full pack without it thermaling on me.

Running the max6 esc, blx2050kv motor, 13T pinion and trencher 3.8's strapped. I run a lot at a grass bmx track.

I was hoping the max6 would let me run 14T as really that's all the extra speed I'm after, but like the BLX185, it makes it about 14 minutes then thermals. The blx185 would get to about 12 minutes. I don't like running it that close to the limit. For now, I've dropped back down to the 13T and I'm able to run through entire packs without issue where I run.

Kind of hoping I find something that will fit in the outcast and ERBEv2, but the ERBEv2 is much more stringent with what will fit, so if I can't find anything for both, I'd at least like to find something for the outcast. I know a lot of guys run larger/longer motors in the kraton, but the outcast doesn't have the real estate for some of those motors.

I have a 4268 in my truggified typhon with room to spare. Fairly certain you can fit at least the typical 4274.

I like the Hobby Wing 1650 KV and Rocket 1650 KV. The 6S Lipo voltage puts any motor over 2000KV into 50000 RPM range. If you're full throttle for any extended time overheating will come into play. Keep RPM in range from 30k - 40k for optimal performance and longevity.

I like the Hobby Wing 1650 KV and Rocket 1650 KV. The 6S Lipo voltage puts any motor over 2000KV into 50000 RPM range. If you're full throttle for any extended time overheating will come into play. Keep RPM in range from 30k - 40k for optimal performance and longevity.
Got links to those?

The 4092 isn't too long for the outcast? Thought I read somewhere that they run hot. Which kind of defeats the purpose. I wonder if the 4985SL-1650KV fits the HR sliding mount... or if I have to shim it up.

The 4092 isn't too long for the outcast? Thought I read somewhere that they run hot. Which kind of defeats the purpose. I wonder if the 4985SL-1650KV fits the HR sliding mount... or if I have to shim it up.
The 4092 does fit, but their quality is rather hit or miss.

The 4985 1650kv will hit the chassis with the Hot Racing mount just barely though, so you would need to space up the motor and diff mount a little bit. And you have to cut out part of the side guard.

The last time I had my Outcast out it was about 80* outside and my max temp was about 150* after running. And my Outcast is rather heavy, M2C chassis, hot racing suspension mounts, voltage front tower, M2C rear tower, full Hot Racing gearboxes, Hot Racing diff cups, Hot Racing chassis braces and a Turnigy 5000mAh 6s brick.

Last edited:
The 4092 does fit, but their quality is rather hit or miss.

The 4985 1650kv will hit the chassis with the Hot Racing mount just barely though, so you would need to space up the motor and diff mount a little bit. And you have to cut out part of the side guard.
I revisited that thread from @Mr.Duke. Seems like if you run 18-19 pinion, you still get a respectable speed without taxing the system too much. Looked like he was going with a 20T and more. Added to my list... perhaps a Christmas present if my blx2050 makes it through the season... A little too much for me right now with furlough and whatnot.

Only downside out of the gate is you have to make your own fan holder as nothing exists currently that will fit it I don't think.

Im in the same boat, here in texas heat 100+ actual i have to break every 15mins or so. No biggie, but would like to run a cooler tempered motor.

I revisited that thread from @Mr.Duke. Seems like if you run 18-19 pinion, you still get a respectable speed without taxing the system too much. Looked like he was going with a 20T and more. Added to my list... perhaps a Christmas present if my blx2050 makes it through the season... A little too much for me right now with furlough and whatnot.

Only downside out of the gate is you have to make your own fan holder as nothing exists currently that will fit it I don't think.
I swear I saw a post somewhere and someone managed to fit the Hobbywing heatsink on theirs, it took some bending to get it to fit though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00792P9WG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_Z1a4Eb9C8NBRW

I swear I saw a post somewhere and someone managed to fit the Hobbywing heatsink on theirs, it took some bending to get it to fit though.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00792P9WG/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_Z1a4Eb9C8NBRW
Think I'd rather use the traxxas one, then I can likely fit 2 of the 30mm fans on it vs the one big one. I have the HW one and it cost me a motor when the fan died and I wasn't aware. With 2 fans, you at least have 50% cooling when a fan dies. And since I can use 30mm, I use the alloy framed fans which are less likely to fail anyway.

I still used the HW one on my stampede for the time being... the 2200kv motor doesn't run nearly as hot in that, so if it dies, the motor will likely survive.

I mean, I suppose you could fit 2 of the 30mm's on there, but they won't fit very well. I'm assuming the traxxas one is longer as I'm pretty sure it has a 2 fan cooler on it in stock form.

I know your thread is about your Outcast, but I'll add my spec's for you..
I'm running this in my Kraton.. Rocket 4092 1650kv, 20T, Max 6 with Mr.Dukes dual fan mount and Backflip LP's plenty of alloy mods etc and it's a heavy beast.!!
Never have any issues with speed or heat and it has so much torque it's just stupid..??

I know your thread is about your Outcast, but I'll add my spec's for you..
I'm running this in my Kraton.. Rocket 4092 1650kv, 20T, Max 6 with Mr.Dukes dual fan mount and Backflip LP's plenty of alloy mods etc and it's a heavy beast.!!
Never have any issues with speed or heat and it has so much torque it's just stupid..??
My only concern with the 4092 is fitment into an outcast. I really need to pull it off the shelf and check it with a mic to see how much room there is. You really need at least 3-4mm of room behind the can so it doesn't hit the bulkhead when the chassis flexes. Even with the M2C and alloy braces, things flex.

I’ve had very good experience with the Surpass Rocket motors. I’ve bought a pair (4082 & 4092) direct from Surpass for just under $90 shipped. I kept the 4082 & gave the bigger motor to a friend.

My 4082 (1550kv) has loads of power & never any overheating issues even in 90deg weather with teenage drivers!

I'm running a hobby star 4092 1730kv motor. Its been awsome for me so far. Torque for days! I'm running a max 6 with it. Its literally insane
20200526_185942.jpg

Honestly I just replaced my 4985 with a tp 4070cm, because the hobbywing broke. I want to get another tp motor, but this time a 4260cm or their abouts. My 4070cm (107mm) long fit with some mods I'm not proud of. So Friday I have a box from Mitch showing up that will remedy the whole situation ??

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back