Big Air Setup Tips

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubblehead

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I notice there are setup tips for speed runs. What are some setup tips for Big Air for someone new? (Ride Height, Shock Oil, Shock Position, Droop etc.)

stock shock wt is fine

droop screws should be turned in at all 4 corners until you have to compress the shock slightly to get it to slide onto the upper shock mount

Avoid jacking the preload collars down all the way, all you're gonna do is replace more bent shock rods and break more rod ends.

Here’s a tip, land on the wheels...I have a hard time taking my own advice...those granites seem like the can really take a beat down. Doesn’t look like they need much. Hopefully others will chime in but I think Mr.Duke covered the main things.

stock shock wt is fine

droop screws should be turned in at all 4 corners until you have to compress the shock slightly to get it to slide onto the upper shock mount

Avoid jacking the preload collars down all the way, all you're gonna do is replace more bent shock rods and break more rod ends.
stock shock wt is fine

Should the preload collars be adjusted to take the play out of springs, then adjust ride height?

Should the preload collars be adjusted to take the play out of springs, then adjust ride height?

Pre load on the springs is what adjusts your ride height. Adjust the collars so the lower a arms are parallel to the ground (with the battery/batteries installed. @Yonic is correct about the shocks fully extending regardless of ride height. You also want as much droop as possible but as @Mr.Duke said, you want to adjust the droop screws so you have to compress the shocks a bit to install them. (This is done with the chassis supported on something so the suspension is at full extension). This will get you the maximum total suspension travel possible without letting the shock itself be the stop. I will also add, The upper shock mount should be in the outermost position.

Pre load on the springs is what adjusts your ride height. Adjust the collars so the lower a arms are parallel to the ground (with the battery/batteries installed. @Yonic is correct about the shocks fully extending regardless of ride height. You also want as much droop as possible but as @Mr.Duke said, you want to adjust the droop screws so you have to compress the shocks a bit to install them. (This is done with the chassis supported on something so the suspension is at full extension). This will get you the maximum total suspension travel possible without letting the shock itself be the stop.
Thanks, I can't wait for it to stop raining but it gives me time to get my truck ready.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back