Big Bad Wolf needs an ESC and a Motor! Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Typhon 6s
  5. Voltage
Arrma 6S Custom (Mojave, Kraton, Typhon)
Built for Grass Field Running and some mild bashing. Mostly running fields as fast as a F'in can.
Fastest im getting over grass is in the 70's on a good day, right field and conditions.
Id like to break 90 and get as close to 100 as I can, swapping out the ESC and Motor. Fix the rest as it breaks. LOL

I thought maybe 8S. The ESC's and motors are a bit big for this truck but possible.
Im afraid it'll just over power it and rip the Arrma parts up. But I can also run it on 6S most of the time. Then some 8S Blasts when conditions are right. Baby it some.

6S is likely better. More reliable. But I need Power and Quality. And as Jeremy Clarkson reminds us, More Power! The stock ESC bogs and disappoints. I can also start with a very good ESC and kill the stock motor some then replace it.

Ive looked at all of them and my head is spinning off!
Whats the most appropriate ESC and Motor Transplant for Big Bad Wolf?
Max6 ESC looks nice.
But what motor?

Looking forward to Spring!!

As this builds stands now.
Weighs in at 14 lbs (6372g)
with an 8000mAh 6S Lipo its16.3 lbs (7377g)

- Arrma 6s EXB - ESC Spektum Firma 150 Smart
- Arrma 6s BLX - Spektrum Firma 4074 2050kV Brushless w/sink
- Arrma 6s EXB - 18t or 23t Pinion Gear (steel Mod 1 5mm Safe-D)
- Mojave EXB Chassis (7085 aluminum)
- Kraton Front Open Dif (200cst) (43t/10t)
- Typhon Center BLX Open Dif (1Mcst) (50t Spur)
- Kraton Rear BLX Open Dif (500cst) (43t/10t)
- Typhon 6s V5 BLX - Towers Front/Rear Shock Towers
- Kraton 6s EXB - Front Shocks, 85mm 1.09N/mm (6.2lb/in) Springs
- Kraton 6s EXB - Rear Shocks, 95mm 0.87N/mm (5.0lb/in) Springs
- Kraton 6s EXB - Suspension A-Arms, Hubs 17mm Hex, Steering Caster Blocks Axle Carriers.
- ANNIMOS 35KG Digital Servo 7.4V
- Mojave/Kraton EXB mount braces and center brace.
- Kraton 6s EXB Wing
- Arrma EXB Super Basher Front Bumper.
- RPM Front Bumper and Arrma Skid Plate on the rear.
- Arrma dBoots Back-Flip MT 6S, 172m X 97mm
- Typhon 6s V5 BLX - Body Shell
- HOOVO 6S 22.2V LiPo Battery 8000mAh 100C
- HOBBYMATE Flysky FS GT5 RC Transmitter with FS BS6 Gyro Receiver

Arrma 6S and XLWB-BW.jpg

IMG_3755.jpeg

I am following with interest as I have a FireTeam that I am currently trying to lighten for a street basher and/or speed runner and will eventually want to replace its electronics. I have been researching a bit and so far the Ezrun Max 6 Combo 4985 SL-1650KV is at the top of my list.

Edit:
Dang, it is still so heavy. The FireTeam is nearly 14 pounds stock without batteries but it has the e-brake stuff and the body/cage is almost 2 pounds itsleby itself.

Last edited:
20221215_150153.jpg

I went mmx8s & TP 4070 1700kv. Wouldn't have it any other way. You'd also be really surprised at how well these rigs can handle 8s. Probably the main problem is wear on the drive cups and even then, you can flip em to get double the life out of them and then upgrade to m2c which are similar price and lots better.

I use to rip my fireteam around on 8s with a big block motor and src road crusher tires. Thing was a blast :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 274448

I went mmx8s & TP 4070 1700kv. Wouldn't have it any other way. You'd also be really surprised at how well these rigs can handle 8s. Probably the main problem is wear on the drive cups and even then, you can flip em to get double the life out of them and then upgrade to m2c which are similar price and lots better.

I use to rip my fireteam around on 8s with a big block motor and src road crusher tires. Thing was a blast :ROFLMAO:

I was eying the TP 4070 1700kv too. low 2000kv's.

The Max6 combo also does 8S.
4985 SL-1650KV
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/max6-combos?variant=18438418104435
I think the Max6 ESC will fit better, more easily. The mmx8 looks huge.
https://www.amazon.com/Hobbywing-30...mzn1.fos.18ed3cb5-28d5-4975-8bc7-93deae8f9840

How do these 8S combos or not run at 6S?

I am following with interest as I have a FireTeam that I am currently trying to lighten for a street basher and/or speed runner and will eventually want to replace its electronics. I have been researching a bit and so far the Ezrun Max 6 Combo 4985 SL-1650KV is at the top of my list.

Edit:

Dang, it is still so heavy. The FireTeam is nearly 14 pounds stock without batteries but it has the e-brake stuff and the body/cage is almost 2 pounds itsleby itself.

Edit:

Fireteams been my go to rig For the past 2 months it’s a beast. Max6/1650kv with a 25t pinion gear. It’s heavy but drives and handles great.
1CFAC431-2086-4E79-B1E5-397CFCFD36B0.jpeg
15ECCABA-6107-44D7-B78F-4DDEFB98DDDA.jpeg

Fireteams been my go to rig For the past 2 months it’s a beast. Max6/1650kv with a 25t pinion gear. It’s heavy but drives and handles great.View attachment 274464View attachment 274465
Is it fast? I want to go as fast as a F'in can over these fields. I got other cars for pavement.
Lots of wheel-spin and loss of traction over grass fields! The bumpy fields are damn impossible and slower, but the sport fields are usually excellent! Challenging

Is it fast? I want to go as fast as a F'in can over these fields. I got other cars for pavement.
Lots of wheel-spin and loss of traction over grass fields! The bumpy fields are damn impossible and slower, but the sport fields are usually excellent! Challenging
It’s fast but not as fast as my XL kraton with a MMX8S/1650 (1520) that thing is fast! We call it the crackhead cus ain’t nobody catching it!

Arrma 6S Custom (Mojave, Kraton, Typhon)
Built for Grass Field Running and some mild bashing. Mostly running fields as fast as a F'in can.
Fastest im getting over grass is in the 70's on a good day, right field and conditions.
Id like to break 90 and get as close to 100 as I can, swapping out the ESC and Motor. Fix the rest as it breaks. LOL

I thought maybe 8S. The ESC's and motors are a bit big for this truck but possible.
Im afraid it'll just over power it and rip the Arrma parts up. But I can also run it on 6S most of the time. Then some 8S Blasts when conditions are right. Baby it some.

6S is likely better. More reliable. But I need Power and Quality. And as Jeremy Clarkson reminds us, More Power! The stock ESC bogs and disappoints. I can also start with a very good ESC and kill the stock motor some then replace it.

Ive looked at all of them and my head is spinning off!
Whats the most appropriate ESC and Motor Transplant for Big Bad Wolf?
Max6 ESC looks nice.
But what motor?

Looking forward to Spring!!

As this builds stands now.

- Arrma 6s EXB - ESC Spektum Firma 150 Smart
- Arrma 6s BLX - Spektrum Firma 4074 2050kV Brushless w/sink
- Arrma 6s EXB - 18t or 23t Pinion Gear (steel Mod 1 5mm Safe-D)
- Mojave EXB Chassis (7085 aluminum)
- Kraton Front Open Dif (200cst) (43t/10t)
- Typhon Center BLX Open Dif (1Mcst) (50t Spur)
- Kraton Rear BLX Open Dif (500cst) (43t/10t)
- Typhon 6s V5 BLX - Towers Front/Rear Shock Towers
- Kraton 6s EXB - Front Shocks, 85mm 1.09N/mm (6.2lb/in) Springs
- Kraton 6s EXB - Rear Shocks, 95mm 0.87N/mm (5.0lb/in) Springs
- Kraton 6s EXB - Suspension A-Arms, Hubs 17mm Hex, Steering Caster Blocks Axle Carriers.
- ANNIMOS 35KG Digital Servo 7.4V
- Mojave/Kraton EXB mount braces and center brace.
- Kraton 6s EXB Wing
- Arrma EXB Super Basher Front Bumper.
- RPM Front Bumper and Arrma Skid Plate on the rear.
- Arrma dBoots Back-Flip MT 6S, 172m X 97mm
- Typhon 6s V5 BLX - Body Shell
- HOOVO 6S 22.2V LiPo Battery 8000mAh 100C
- HOBBYMATE Flysky FS GT5 RC Transmitter with FS BS6 Gyro Receiver

View attachment 274440

View attachment 274441
I definitely agree with the others on getting a max 6 combo with 1650. I put them on both my typhon and talion before and worked awesome, plenty of power.

I definitely agree with the others on getting a max 6 combo with 1650. I put them on both my typhon and talion before and worked awesome, plenty of power.

Its definitely most popular.
so the
4985 SL-1650KV isnt rated for 8S. But the ESC is. correct?

And will the
4985 SL-1650KV work with an 8S load?​

Fireteams been my go to rig For the past 2 months it’s a beast. Max6/1650kv with a 25t pinion gear. It’s heavy but drives and handles great.
I was talking about the weight cuz I got one last fall and am trying to lighten it up and make it faster for the street. I was actually just on my other screen pinning a tab for the MAX6 combo so I can order it in about a week after my card cycles.

PXL_20230130_164904748.jpg

PXL_20230130_164709381.jpg

Just the body shell change shaved off 1lb 12oz LOL, but I have to install the side guards tonight, for the Kraton body BQ body mount on the way.

It's as wide as most of my cars are long. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

PXL_20230130_223419337.jpg

It has been at the top of my list for a while. If I like it for the FireTeam it will probably get moved to one of my 3 Typhons when I eventually get one of these:

It’s fast but not as fast as my XL kraton with a MMX8S/1650 (1520) that thing is fast! We call it the crackhead cus ain’t nobody catching it!

to make it 8s. :LOL:

Last edited:
I was talking about the weight cuz I got one last fall and am trying to lighten it up and make it faster for the street. I was actually just on my other screen pinning a tab for the MAX6 combo so I can order it in about a week after my card cycles.

View attachment 274493

View attachment 274494

Just the body shell change shaved off 1lb 12oz LOL, but I have to install the side guards tonight, for the Kraton body BQ body mount on the way.

It's as wide as most of my cars are long. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

View attachment 274495

It has been at the top of my list for a while. If I like it for the FireTeam it will probably get moved to one of my 3 Typhons when I eventually get one of these:

to make it 8s. :LOL:
Only street rigs go 8S. dirt 6S max when you put 8S in a kraton/Fireteam it’s to much power I can run in the 70’s on 6S. My XL kraton on 6S is faster to 40mph then my 8S infraction but after 40mph it’s see you later!

Explain the battery connection. How do you go from a single connection on the ESC to a dual for the battery? Thx
The factory ESC wires on a MMX8S are short so I do a single then add one of these. You can make one or buy one your choice. If I want to run a single battery 🔋 I just remove the splitter.
21BAF2EF-7FAA-4C88-AD8E-68C2EC925A8E.jpeg

The factory ESC wires on a MMX8S are short so I do a single then add one of these. You can make one or buy one your choice. If I want to run a single battery 🔋 I just remove the splitter.
21BAF2EF-7FAA-4C88-AD8E-68C2EC925A8E.jpeg
Sorry, I just realized that’s the max6 Fireteam I put that on because I run a lot of single 4S in this rig.

Only street rigs go 8S. dirt 6S max when you put 8S in a kraton/Fireteam it’s to much power I can run in the 70’s on 6S. My XL kraton on 6S is faster to 40mph then my 8S infraction but after 40mph it’s see you later!
I think you're doing something wrong with the infraction 🤣 🤣

Yeah, be careful. The Max 6 1650kv combo is not 8s capable. The Max 6 ESC is, but only with a motor 1100kv or less.

Yeah, be careful. The Max 6 1650kv combo is not 8s capable. The Max 6 ESC is, but only with a motor 1100kv or less.
Thanks! I see that. Will the ESC allow 8S to the motor? What will that do to the motor if it does?
I see people running 4S to 3S Firma motors and claim they hold up for a while then burn out.

Thanks! I see that. Will the ESC allow 8S to the motor? What will that do to the motor if it does?
I see people running 4S to 3S Firma motors and claim they hold up for a while then burn out.
I’ve never tried it, and never would. Why fry expensive electronics on purpose? The ESC doesn’t limit output to the motor, so the motor would probably be toast in short order and the ESC could be fried as well.
I‘ve read posts by others who’ve run 8s in that combo, but why?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back