Big Bad Wolf needs an ESC and a Motor! Suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
maxresdefault.jpg

I’ve never tried it, and never would. Why fry expensive electronics on purpose? The ESC doesn’t limit output to the motor, so the motor would probably be toast in short order and the ESC could be fried as well.
I‘ve read posts by others who’ve run 8s in that combo, but why?
Thanks. I hear ya!
Why? For those occasional speed runs LOL

Thanks! I see that. Will the ESC allow 8S to the motor? What will that do to the motor if it does?
I see people running 4S to 3S Firma motors and claim they hold up for a while then burn out.
I've run the combo on 8s with zero problems as well as others around here. Some change the motor bearing before doing so. If you really want to 8s though you should ignore every one telling you max 6 combo and go get an mmx8s combo or get an mmx8s and tp motor like I recommended. Way too many hobbywing fans on the forums. They end up ignoring what people actually asking for and just toss out max6 combo as the answer for everything. Then people end up listening because everyone says it and the thought of saving a few bucks is attractive. 🤣 🤣

I've run the combo on 8s with zero problems as well as others around here. Some change the motor bearing before doing so. If you really want to 8s though you should ignore every one telling you max 6 combo and go get an mmx8s combo or get an mmx8s and tp motor like I recommended. Way too many hobbywing fans on the forums. They end up ignoring what people actually asking for and just toss out max6 combo as the answer for everything. Then people end up listening because everyone says it and the thought of saving a few bucks is attractive. 🤣 🤣
OK, I love you man but that’s not a fair assessment at all. First, if you run 8s on a Max 6 1650 combo, it ain’t good and if you get away with it then good for you. I’m telling the dude not to do it, because he’ll likely fry his sh*t in short order.
Nobody should ever recommend a Max 6 combo for 8s use, IMO. That said, why do you think there are “way too many HobbyWing fans” here and we recommend them for everything? Not true, dog. I recommend them wholeheartedly across the Arrma 6s line for 6s use because they’re fast, reliable, and can suffer dumb newb mistakes (like overgearing, big assed tires on heavy rigs, etc.) without bursting into fire.
I’ve never recommended a Max 6 ever for 8s use, and never would. Like you said, the MMX8s or Max 5 is a better choice.
Most of us here understand the Max 6 isn’t the “answer for everything” as you’ve said, and most of us don’t push them like that. But for general 6s bashing I’ll stand by them, and I don’t feel there’s a much better choice, dollar for dollar.
I’d like to think that the guys with the most experience here aren’t just Castle or HobbyWing fanboys, but can make a recommendation based on the application and use for each particular user that asks the question.
”Way too many HobbyWing fans on the forums?” Come on, man…

OK, I love you man but that’s not a fair assessment at all. First, if you run 8s on a Max 6 1650 combo, it ain’t good and if you get away with it then good for you. I’m telling the dude not to do it, because he’ll likely fry his sh*t in short order.
Nobody should ever recommend a Max 6 combo for 8s use, IMO. That said, why do you think there are “way too many HobbyWing fans” here and we recommend them for everything? Not true, dog. I recommend them wholeheartedly across the Arrma 6s line for 6s use because they’re fast, reliable, and can suffer dumb newb mistakes (like overgearing, big assed tires on heavy rigs, etc.) without bursting into fire.
I’ve never recommended a Max 6 ever for 8s use, and never would. Like you said, the MMX8s or Max 5 is a better choice.
Most of us here understand the Max 6 isn’t the “answer for everything” as you’ve said, and most of us don’t push them like that. But for general 6s bashing I’ll stand by them, and I don’t feel there’s a much better choice, dollar for dollar.
I’d like to think that the guys with the most experience here aren’t just Castle or HobbyWing fanboys, but can make a recommendation based on the application and use for each particular user that asks the question.
”Way too many HobbyWing fans on the forums?” Come on, man…
I wasn't trying to single you out or anything so I hope you didn't take it that way! I agree with you that you shouldn't buy a max 6 combo to use 8s even if it's possible to get away with it. I searched these forums long and hard before I even tried it and spent money on boca bearings as the general consensus among the people who were doing it seemed to be that the bearings were the main thing holding the motor back.

The overall push for the max 6 combo on this forum is very evident though man. I know because I'm always the one who appears to be going against the grain all the time whenever I give my 2 cents lol. It sticks out like a big ol sore thumb to me. If you don't believe me I challenge you to search the forums for esc choice questions and just read 4 different threads on the subject. You will be surprised if you go in looking for it.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't think anything wrong with the max 6 combo and I've even recommended it a few times too. But take this thread for example, You have a guy who mentions he wants to be able to pop out 100 mph off road when he feels like it and enjoy 8s on a random whim and yet everyone still think max 6 combo is the one to recommend him for that lol.

I honestly think this thread is literally a prime example of what I'm talking about. I was the only one to even mention the mmx8s.

I dunno maybe i'm the nutty one :ROFLMAO:

I wasn't trying to single you out or anything so I hope you didn't take it that way! I agree with you that you shouldn't buy a max 6 combo to use 8s even if it's possible to get away with it. I searched these forums long and hard before I even tried it and spent money on boca bearings as the general consensus among the people who were doing it seemed to be that the bearings were the main thing holding the motor back.

The overall push for the max 6 combo on this forum is very evident though man. I know because I'm always the one who appears to be going against the grain all the time whenever I give my 2 cents lol. It sticks out like a big ol sore thumb to me. If you don't believe me I challenge you to search the forums for esc choice questions and just read 4 different threads on the subject. You will be surprised if you go in looking for it.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't think anything wrong with the max 6 combo and I've even recommended it a few times too. But take this thread for example, You have a guy who mentions he wants to be able to pop out 100 mph off road when he feels like it and enjoy 8s on a random whim and yet everyone still think max 6 combo is the one to recommend him for that lol.

I honestly think this thread is literally a prime example of what I'm talking about.

I dunno maybe i'm the nutty one :ROFLMAO:
I agree with your recommendation for the most part. Nobody should recommend a Max 6 for a 15# rig on an XXL chassis running high speed gearing and boat anchors for tires.
But what about the guy who wants a solid recommendation for a Typhon? Are you going to say MMX8s or XLX2 and a TP motor for $350.00 to $500.00+ or a Max 6 for $250.00? See what I’m saying? 8s in a Typhon doesn’t even make sense in the first place.

I agree with your recommendation for the most part. Nobody should recommend a Max 6 for a 15# rig on an XXL chassis running high speed gearing and boat anchors for tires.
But what about the guy who wants a solid recommendation for a Typhon? Are you going to say MMX8s or XLX2 and a TP motor for $350.00 to $500.00+ or a Max 6 for $250.00? See what I’m saying? 8s in a Typhon doesn’t even make sense in the first place.
I agree with you! I'd probably tell them to get a max 8 g2 combo :ROFLMAO: :cool:

Actually wouldn’t be a bad choice. I guess the new ones are sensored, too?
Yea and they are pretty nice. I have one in the kraton 4s v2 and I'm geared for 60 mph on 4s and that thing never gets hot. I bet it would be amazing in a typhon.

personally I'd go a lower kv if I where you but I actually have that same motor in my jota limitless.

I think you were Right! Im liking the 1515 2200kv. It's fast to rev, feels more powerful than the Spectrum 2050 for sure but it's still running Hot under gearing or traction load and although it's Fine that way, I ordered a 1717 1650kv for it.
I want to put it on a heavier gear load and I don't think the 1515 2200 can do it. Especially with the larger tires I run on it (145-180mm).

But as originally planed, that 2200kv V2 will work out nicely in the stretched Typhon. I want to lower its ride more too and use it on the street and dirt/gravel with 100-140mm tires.

I got a deal on the motor with another MMX8S, for not allot more than I was going to spend on a cheaper ESC for the 2200kv in the Typhon. The mmx8s seems damn powerful and its fits well. And each 6S Rigs are now 8S capable.

Im going to need some better Kraton CVTs and Dogbones!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back