Big bore shock’s aluminum vorteks, typhon, big rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan207265_RC

Reaction score
So I purchased this big bore shocksd for my Vorteks and typhon and had them like two weeks and I see the right front shock got bent I haven’t bash on them yet..loljust run them on the street..and put 50W oil on them..so I need change the oil? So where I bought them at refund me the money and purchased the high performance big bore shocks with 4mm shaft so does anybody know if I’m putting the right oil shocks? Or maybe adjusting them? What u guys opinion? Thanx

0172475B-C4B3-4A7F-9115-7098E50B72BF.png

5ABE959A-BF6B-45FF-95D2-AD458377A183.png

1037259B-E679-423C-A96A-C8D74D822062.jpeg

AAD25CC9-283E-4213-98CE-6776290A1CCE.jpeg

Just my 2 cents. I would return those .You already bent one pretty much looking at it. That tells me that what ever brand they are they aren't that good as in they suck :ROFLMAO:. Looks like they could be a pain to set the preload on the springs too . No knurling on the preload ring. If I was going to put different shocks on I think I would pick up some Losi 1/8th scale buggy shocks . But in all honesty I'm happy with my Typhon 6s shocks.

Good luck with the mod.

Just my 2 cents. I would return those .You already bent one pretty much looking at it. That tells me that what ever brand they are they aren't that good as in they suck :ROFLMAO:. Looks like they could be a pain to set the preload on the springs too . No knurling on the preload ring. If I was going to put different shocks on I think I would pick up some Losi 1/8th scale buggy shocks . But in all honesty I'm happy with my Typhon 6s shocks.

Good luck with the mod.
Yeah already did and got me with a 4mm shaft this time thicker..lol but u think 50W oil are okay tho?

I would go with what ever the rc manual recomends to start . Did you change the spring rates from stock with the shock upgrade. If you did then you're probably going to have to experiment with the oil to see what works best.

I put big bore shocks on my 5th scale Baja. The car was to heavy for the new springs . I increased to heavier oil and a higher spring rate. I may have stiffened it up to much . I may go to a lighter oil with these heavier springs .

If I was going to put different shocks on I think I would pick up some Losi 1/8th scale buggy shocks . But in all honesty I'm happy with my Typhon 6s shocks.
A Vorteks has shorter shock towers and shorter shocks. The upgrades that work for the rest of the 3s line are too long for a Vorteks. I believe those ebay big bore shocks do offer shocks specifically for the Vorteks. Slick's excellent shock thread lists some other options that fit the Vorteks. https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...d-blx-4s-shock-information-and-upgrades.7413/

Yeah already did and got me with a 4mm shaft this time thicker..lol but u think 50W oil are okay tho?
What thickness oil you use depends on how stiff your springs are. The stiffer the springs, the faster they rebound. Thicker oil slows down the rebound if they are rebounding too fast. 50wt is a decent place to start. If the rebound is too fast, go thicker. If the rebound is too slow, go lighter. I'd say people use anywhere from 30wt to 90wt in 3s shocks, depending on what springs they're using.

Last edited:
He didn't say his Typhon was a 3s . And I don't know anything about the Vortek or the Big Rock. Guess you can throw everything I typed out the window. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It would help if people would actually list what they have and be specific.

He didn't say his Typhon was a 3s . And I don't know anything about the Vortek or the Big Rock. Guess you can throw everything I typed out the window. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It would help if people would actually list what they have and be specific.
Yeah all three are 3S V3…lol 🥸

Really? I think that thread is all over the place. Some talking about shocks, others talking about diffs. The technical numbers about viscosity do nothing to help you decide what weight is good for what.

Really? I think that thread is all over the place. Some talking about shocks, others talking about diffs. The technical numbers about viscosity do nothing to help you decide what weight is good for what.
There just telling u of the history of shocks and oil and stuff it’s a lot information I gotta read when I’m off..lol

The 6s Mojave front shocks fit the vorteks rear. Then you only have the front to figure out lol. I finally just threw a granite front shock tower on so I could run the Mojave shocks all way around. I love it set up like that but then I’m only into off road bashing in rocky terrain. The stock set up just didn’t work for that.

The 6s Mojave front shocks fit the vorteks rear. Then you only have the front to figure out lol. I finally just threw a granite front shock tower on so I could run the Mojave shocks all way around. I love it set up like that but then I’m only into off road bashing in rocky terrain. The stock set up just didn’t work for that.
Oh really and didn’t had no problem with the shocks like? Well I like to do all bashing off round and grass and on the street too..lol

Oh really and didn’t had no problem with the shocks like? Well I like to do all bashing off round and grass and on the street too..lol
I made a few changes to my vorteks lol.
6s shocks, typhon arms/turnbuckles, 6s servo, TBone bumper, m2c +5 17mm hex ext, granite front tower, hot racing diff yokes, surpass 3670, 2850kv (soon to be 3665, 3100kv), spectrum 130amp ESC, Badland MX28s. I love this car, it’s freaking amazing to drive.

Next up are cvds, rear metal diff and painting a new body.

DB63FBD0-59E7-4228-86D7-9F833F546BE5.jpeg

94513402-8618-44C1-B919-2310C3872B02.jpeg

6s shocks, typhon arms/turnbuckles, 6s servo, TBone bumper, m2c +5 17mm hex ext, granite front tower, hot racing diff yokes, surpass 3670, 2850kv (soon to be 3665, 3100kv), spectrum 130amp ESC, Badland MX28s. I love this car, it’s freaking amazing to drive.

View attachment 207219

View attachment 207220
Dang bro that’s kool yeah I love it too but I don’t bash that much cuz I work a lot so when I work on my RC’s is on the weekends..lol it’s down cuz the shocks but I order new ones tho..but it’s getting there..lol not like urs yet..lol

35E32E5F-A651-431F-ADB5-55FF2307D32D.jpeg

Good luck with the mod.

Bling parts ftl.

20200515_214723.jpg

View attachment 207219

View attachment 207220
What’s up bro so I was gonna ask u the 6s shocks what kind did u put on cuz I have the big bore from eBay..

What’s up bro so I was gonna ask u the 6s shocks what kind did u put on cuz I have the big bore from eBay..
For which car? My Vorteks? I first put a granite front shock tower on, then put mojave 6s front shocks on all four corners.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back