Typhon Big ESCs... where are you putting them?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimbles

Certified unintentional RC destroyer
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Typhon 3s
Hello chaps, first post but been a lingering for a while. I have a typhon (originally mega 550 but ive been upgrading the life out of it... i know i could have bought a 6s by now but i enjoy the process and breaking bits too!).

Anyways, i have upgraded originally to a hobbywing max 10 with a 3652. It fit so neatly i moved the esc down into the main tray behind the motor. I've bought a cheapo surpass 150a with a 4068 and this solution doesn't work. If i try to mount the chunky esc above the radio box, it fouls the shell. How are others with chunky escs getting around this.

(And please don't worry about my 550 drivetrain, its all gone replaced with the 0.8mod and properly filled diffs - cannot believe it only came with a bit of cruddy grease in them!).

Cut off from reciever box and than weld it with soldering iron. I did it that way.

Attachments

• IMG_20191220_124623.jpg
    IMG_20191220_124623.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Cut off from reciever box and than weld it with soldering iron. I did it that way.
Awesome, thanks bud... so you took out the receiver box, cut it down to size then melted it back together with a soldering iron? What did you do about the waterproofing gasket?
Also, @Otto, sweet rig! I was thinking about mounting the esc vertically onto the receiver box so that the fan points at the motor. May cause some overheating though! You got any heat issues with your rig?

Yes its easy with the soldering iron. Search on youtube ,, how weld plastic with soldering iron ". Just short the gasket. I haven't any heat issues.
IMG_20190718_225811.jpg

Thanks everyone for your comments and thoughts, special shout outs to @jondilly1974 and @Otto for a further solution if my initial plan below doesn't work . I thought I'd attach some shots of my rig as it currently stands... I have decided to try to mount the ESC vertically (good old 3m double sided tissue tape) and will let you know how it gets on. Will jam a 4s through it and give it a proper beasting later today (work allowing). This started life as a Typhon 550 but now has front and rear alumnium hubs and carriers (broke a front and rear hub in the same mad cartwheeling accident, smashing into a bunch of bricks... d'oh), aluminium steering rack, proper adjustable tie rods (snapped a bunch of the cr4ppy ones it came with), 7kg steering servo (savox), aluminium diff carriers (because they are cool), rpm front suspension mounts (broke the stock ones) and I am running the stock suspension, with 800/600 cst fr/rear.

Drivetrain has had the most work - rebuilt and filled front and rear diffs (had to replace one because the first time i filled them, I got over zealous on the screw tightening) running 30k front, 10k rear (may need to up this a bit for 4s running, as it can diff out a bit on 3s) and the upgraded HD diff pinions, adjustable motor mount, 0.8 mod 57t spur (and 4s slipper assembly) and am currently running a 26t pinion. Motor is a 2050kv Surpass Hobby 4068, run by a 150A surpass 1/8 esc (technically capable of 6s, but not in this car lol). Still left to do is hot racing ball joints and servo saver (on the way from the US).

I know... could have bought a 6s, but this has been so much fun. Truggy next I think and may actually start on a 6s! Sorry it's a bit dirty... ran on wet grass at the w/e!

20200610_084129.jpg
20200610_084134.jpg
20200610_084138.jpg
20200610_084146.jpg
20200610_084150.jpg
20200610_084217.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back