Big Rock 3S - Stripped my second plastic spur gear. Any downside to metal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

person

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
I've been through two spur gears in about 3 months. Are there any downsides to upgrading to a metal spur?

Not yet for me i have the metal on both my 3s rigs. You can get the whole 4s slipper assembly or just the spur but will also need another slipper pad if you just get the spur.

Downside is ~6x the price. My typhon was on the stock spur for a year but I didn't turn the punch up on it. Now I've got the vortex and turned the punch to 5. Got a spare plastic spur ready to go but depending on how long the plastic one lasts, quite likely to get the metal spur.

Haven't had any issue yet in last 8+ months running it in my Granite. Before I made the swap went through 3 plastic spurs one due to bad motor bearing other two just due to dirt and the poor power module design. I also highly suggest cutting a slot in the chassis under the spur so nothing stays inside the PM. Have ran the metal spur with slot cut last 8 months with not a single issue, spur and pinion still look almost brand new and PM is always clear of debris.

I found the metal spur just ended up chewing up pinions. It could have been due to a bent motor mount, but I went back to plastic. Other downsides of metal are heavier weight and more noise. I've taken steps to keep dirt out of the power module and keep the motor mount straight. These steps ended up being more important than upgrading to metal. So far, the plastic has held up for close to a year.

So even if you upgrade to metal, you should still check all the things everyone mentioned (excessive dirt, bad bearings, bent motor plate, landing on the throttle). Bad pinion mesh and overly tight slipper are other causes. Without these precautions, the metal spur may just end up chewing up pinions. I went through 3 in about 4 months.

Last edited:
I found the metal spur just ended up chewing up my pinion. It could have been due to a bent motor mount, but I went back to plastic. Other downsides of metal are heavier weight and more noise. I've taken steps to keep dirt out of the power module and upgraded the motor mount. With these steps, the plastic has been holding up.
The damage to the pinion has nothing to do with the spur being metal. I chewed up two 15t pinions with the plastic spur due to the dirt and sand before I cut the slit in the chassis. I've ran like I said last 8+ months with metal spur and slit, both pinion and spur have almost no wear at all. My guess for your case is too tight or loose of gear mesh, bent motor mount, bad bearing or more so debris inside acting as sand paper.

As I said, I could have had a bent motor mount when using the metal spur. It wasn't a loose gear mesh, bad bearing or debris. I was using the fixed motor plate, my bearings never went bad, and my power module was sealed. I'm just advising the OP that without the right precautions, metal won't necessarily solve the problem.

Thanks all. To answer an earlier question, my motor mount is bent. It's my second motor mount which needs replacing. I slammed into a curb, which is probably when it happened.

It sounds like I might be best off just sticking to plastic again for now. With this hobby I need to get in the habit of buying two of everything.

Thanks all. To answer an earlier question, my motor mount is bent. It's my second motor mount which needs replacing. I slammed into a curb, which is probably when it happened.

It sounds like I might be best off just sticking to plastic again for now. With this hobby I need to get in the habit of buying two of everything.
Get the HR motor mount.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back