Big Rock Big Rock 4s conversion overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnyc10306

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new here. Can someone tell me why my 4s motor and esc cap pack gets to hot to touch. I run a 3s lipo with a 15t pinion. How does it have the same heat going from a 20t to a 15t pinion and setting the punch to level2 and setting the throttle to 50. The esc is running cool but not the cap pack. I have brand new motor bearings installed. With the car propped up I can easily turn the center drive shaft with my fingers. Also I run on a concrete track. I run all 3 fans off of its own lipo as seen in pic.

Blx 120 esc
Blx 2400kv motor
15t pinion
HR spur
M2c motor mount
Power HD b3 servo
Power hobby 3s lipo
HR steering rack
Pro line shocks
HR knuckles
Center brace
HR Center brace mounts
T bone bumper
HR ball joints
Integy shock tower guards
Spectrum dx3 remote
Gpm body mounts

20220825_133156.jpg

Hot to the touch may only be 110 or 120 depending how sensitive your fingers are. You really need a temperature gun to tell how hot it’s actually running.

Hot to the touch my only be 110 or 120 depending how sensitive your fingers are. You really need a temperature gun to tell how hot it’s actually running.
So I shot the back of the motor with the temp gun and it's reading 147 but it's burning hot to the touch. 147 just doesn't seem right. If the cap pack gets to hot it can explode. The caps got so hot it heated up the servo underneath it.

So I shot the back of the motor with the temp gun and it's reading 147 but it's burning hot to the touch. 147 just doesn't seem right. If the cap pack gets to hot it can explode. The caps got so hot it heated up the servo underneath it.
That’s about the range my motors run up to in the Texas heat. I stop and let them rest when they get to 155-160. Not sure about your cap packs, i’ve never noticed mine getting very hot. I do know that they will heat up just not to what extent.

Agree with the above. Buy a $20 laser temp gun at your local hw store. 120 degrees feels super hot to the touch but is no big deal for these electronics. I usually shut it down around 160-170 on the motor. Only gets that hot in summer heat. You can get a high speed fan replacement for the max10. It might help to keep the air moving. Nice rig.

Cap packs are meant to handle ripple voltage. Lots of use on the cap pack would generate heat, meaning your setup is generating high ripple voltage. The temp of the ESC and motor will be affected by continuous "average" current, so it follows as to why you aren't seeing high temps there.

Thank you for your replies.
Cap packs are meant to handle ripple voltage. Lots of use on the cap pack would generate heat, meaning your setup is generating high ripple voltage. The temp of the ESC and motor will be affected by continuous "average" current, so it follows as to why you aren't seeing high temps there.
Thanks man. I'd like to ask your opinion. Am I making it worse to run my 4s setup on 3s. Or will a 4s lipo create even more heat?

Thank you for your replies.

Thanks man. I'd like to ask your opinion. Am I making it worse to run my 4s setup on 3s. Or will a 4s lipo create even more heat?
Nothing wrong with running a 3s in a 4s system. I'm running a 4s system and 4s lipo in another 3s car that i have and the motor and esc run cooler than the older 3s system on 3s. I'd try 4s on yours and monitor temperatures closely. You're likely to start breaking more stuff on 4s though, so be judicious with the throttle.

If you're on like an oval track running full throttle non-stop, it's going to heat up a lot no matter what you do. Especially if you're now undergeared and at full RPM all the time.

If you're on like an oval track running full throttle non-stop, it's going to heat up a lot no matter what you do. Especially if you're now undergeared and at full RPM all the time.
I did not think it would heat up going around an oval on half throttle with punch setting on 2 in a matter of 5 min. I had a 20t pinion and just switched to a 15t to see the difference and I see no difference with heat or speed. Should I not have the 15t in my setup? I've got great responses from you guys but I just feel something is not dialed in. These trucks are awesome and I really enjoy working on them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back