Big Rock Big Rock Crew Cab ESC/Motor Swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I had to try it ? I put the Castle Mamba X and the 1512-2650Kv motor from my original Granite into the Big Rock CC. I went with a 20t pinion for 2 reasons. 1. It gives me about the same top speed as the stock setup (it's a few mph faster with the Castle) and 2. There is a pre-drilled hole for 20t in the mount. I also went and cranked the slipper down. It was about 2.5 turns out from full tight. I set it at half a turn out from full tight. I ran the Granite tires and set the Castle punch to halfway (50%). Truck is so smooth from the start due to to sensored motor and it has gobs of torque. I ran a full battery through it and wheelies are not a problem! I am definitely pleased with this setup. At some point I will hit the ramp and see how she flies ?

20181119_074733.jpg

Oh, the longer chassis of the BRCC gives you plenty of room for a larger can. When this was in my Granite the back of the motor was butt up against the receiver box. I had to remove the top of the receiver box to remove the power module. Not the case with this chassis.

Looking good. Hey @bicketybam, now that you have crew cab configured, how do you think it compares to the granite blx? I'm trying to decide between the two. Which do you think drives better? Is more fun? I'm a basher, just going to be driving around my yard, park, etc on dirt and grass.

Looking good. Hey @bicketybam, now that you have crew cab configured, how do you think it compares to the granite blx? I'm trying to decide between the two. Which do you think drives better? Is more fun? I'm a basher, just going to be driving around my yard, park, etc on dirt and grass.

I can give you my opinion but ultimately it's going to come down to your own personal preference and driving style. If I was making the choice between the two I would consider the following:

1. Which one do you think looks better? Do you prefer the splashy graphics of the Granite or the simpler look of the BRCC? Do you like chrome bumpers? Do you prefer the longer look of the BRCC? The trucks are close enough performance wise that the actual looks should play a big part in the decision.

2. Do you like to stunt? Are you into jumps and wheelies? If so, the Granite does it better. There is just no debating that. I can double back flip my Granite. There's no way I can double back flip my BRCC. Wheelies are much easier for the Granite. They are on demand. You have to work for them on the BRCC and you don't always get them. You can't ride them like you can on the Granite either.

3. Handling. I think both trucks handle very similarly. Gun to my head I would say the BRCC handles a hair bit better but it's not by much, if at all. If you struggle with throttle control, then the BRCC will be easier to drive. If you like to jump but tend to over rotate and end up on your lid, then the BRCC will need better.

4. Price. The BRCC is $20 more. Why? I have no idea. There is nothing on the truck that makes it worth $20 more. Chrome bumpers? Lol! It's the same truck as the Granite with a Senton chassis and different wheels, tires and bumpers. Definitely not worth $20 but if you prefer it for the other reasons listed it shouldn't deter you from getting it either.

So that's it in a nutshell. I prefer the Granite because I love to jump and flip. It's more nimble in the air and I think it looks better. That said I don't regret getting the BRCC. It's a nice change of pace and I definitely prefer it over the Senton. Good luck and I don't think you can go wrong either way.

I had to try it ? I put the Castle Mamba X and the 1512-2650Kv motor from my original Granite into the Big Rock CC. I went with a 20t pinion for 2 reasons. 1. It gives me about the same top speed as the stock setup (it's a few mph faster with the Castle) and 2. There is a pre-drilled hole for 20t in the mount. I also went and cranked the slipper down. It was about 2.5 turns out from full tight. I set it at half a turn out from full tight. I ran the Granite tires and set the Castle punch to halfway (50%). Truck is so smooth from the start due to to sensored motor and it has gobs of torque. I ran a full battery through it and wheelies are not a problem! I am definitely pleased with this setup. At some point I will hit the ramp and see how she flies ?

View attachment 24140
well hell. Water heat went out at my house so I'm now $800 pulled from my rc budget after tomorrow. And that's with being friends with the plumber and getting a fair deal on labor! :confused:
Nonetheless, I think I'll order me some granite tires at least but I'm liking the idea of a new sensored motor and esc too. I also have to get a roll cage for my black noto body.... The packages arriving never end. Even when I'm feeling strapped, I keep buying more. lol

I can give you my opinion but ultimately it's going to come down to your own personal preference and driving style. If I was making the choice between the two I would consider the following:

1. Which one do you think looks better? Do you prefer the splashy graphics of the Granite or the simpler look of the BRCC? Do you like chrome bumpers? Do you prefer the longer look of the BRCC? The trucks are close enough performance wise that the actual looks should play a big part in the decision.

2. Do you like to stunt? Are you into jumps and wheelies? If so, the Granite does it better. There is just no debating that. I can double back flip my Granite. There's no way I can double back flip my BRCC. Wheelies are much easier for the Granite. They are on demand. You have to work for them on the BRCC and you don't always get them. You can't ride them like you can on the Granite either.

3. Handling. I think both trucks handle very similarly. Gun to my head I would say the BRCC handles a hair bit better but it's not by much, if at all. If you struggle with throttle control, then the BRCC will be easier to drive. If you like to jump but tend to over rotate and end up on your lid, then the BRCC will need better.

4. Price. The BRCC is $20 more. Why? I have no idea. There is nothing on the truck that makes it worth $20 more. Chrome bumpers? Lol! It's the same truck as the Granite with a Senton chassis and different wheels, tires and bumpers. Definitely not worth $20 but if you prefer it for the other reasons listed it shouldn't deter you from getting it either.

So that's it in a nutshell. I prefer the Granite because I love to jump and flip. It's more nimble in the air and I think it looks better. That said I don't regret getting the BRCC. It's a nice change of pace and I definitely prefer it over the Senton. Good luck and I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Thanks for your answer. Got a lot to think about now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back