Big Rock Big Rock Crew Cab upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wricksta

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Just purchased an Arrma Big Rock Crew Cab. On it's maiden run, I noticed it isn't quite setup to my liking. I've spent a lot of time on here researching. I spent a lot of time looking at Granite and Senton threads as the BRCC specific info isn't as abundant. So I decided to post up what I've done to my BRCC so far, and try and include part numbers where I can.

The first thing I did was ditch the stock bearings for rubber sealed bearings. I only replaced the bearings in the wheel hubs and on the spur gear/slipper so far. Fasteddys didn't have a specific kit for the BRCC yet, it did have sets for the Granite but I didn't want to chance it so I looked up the Arrma Part numbers, got the bearing sizes, and found Traxxas bearings at my LHS.

These are the corresponding Traxxas bearings for the BRCC wheel hubs.

Attachments

• BRCC Bearings.jpg
    BRCC Bearings.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 478
  • Traxxas Bearing PN.jpg
    Traxxas Bearing PN.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 323
  • Traxxas Inner Bearing PN.jpg
    Traxxas Inner Bearing PN.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 282
I noticed slop on all 4 corners so I shimmed all four corners. I do not know the exact size of the washer(I pulled it from a ducati spare hardware kit I have laying around), but they seem to be the same size as the 6x12x4mm bearing.

Attachments

• BRCC Shim.jpg
    BRCC Shim.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 348
I used the Duratrax 12mm hub and Hot Racing 17mm adapters

Attachments

• BRCC Duratrax 12mm hub.jpg
    BRCC Duratrax 12mm hub.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 342
  • Hot Racing 17mm adapters.jpg
    Hot Racing 17mm adapters.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 332
  • Duratrax Part Number.jpg
    Duratrax Part Number.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 328
  • Hot Racing Part Number.jpg
    Hot Racing Part Number.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 305
The stock arrma shocks weren't up to par. I had been trying to do research on piston options, but couldn't find any. Then I noticed guys were doing tekno shock upgrades. I'm currently still running a Tekno SCT 410.3 at track, so I had an old backup setup of Tekno EB48(non-emulsion) shocks laying around. These had 10 hole pistons in them. I'm running 60wt TLR oil in front, zero rebound and 45 wt TLR oil in rear, zero rebound. I'm not sure of this combo yet, I may want to drop to 40wt in the rear.

Here are comparison pictures

Attachments

• BRCC Tekno front shock.jpg
    BRCC Tekno front shock.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 267
  • BRCC Tekno rear shock.jpg
    BRCC Tekno rear shock.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 262
Been raining this passed week, figured I'd try and find a new body for the BRCC. Looked through some old stock at the LHS. The Proline Raptor for a T-Maxx and REVO was the closest match. It is a little wide, which forced me to trim out the wheel wells a little more, but I'm happy with it.

Attachments

• BRCC Proline body.jpg
    BRCC Proline body.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 478
  • BRCC Proline body2.jpg
    BRCC Proline body2.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 471
***UPDATE*** Added Proline Overland Roof Rack and Proline 4" Light Bar on my BRCC to run at night. Not sure of the lumens it puts out, but it is really bright. Roof Rack is very durable, held up well to a bunch of rollovers so far(pic was taken when it was installed so no battle scars lol).

Still tinkering with suspension setup. Right now I've got: 60wt oil/Tekno Orange Springs Front and 45wt oil/Losi 2.8 Springs Rear. It was very plush, very similar to how my Tekno SCT410.3 rides. It's very close to my liking. I may go up in spring rate in front to combat the nose diving on braking.

Thinking of ditching the duratrax 12mm hexes in favor for Traxxas hexes with captured pin. Ordered HR Steering blocks, HR C-Hubs, HR Adjustable Motor Mount, and HR Steering rack. Should be in next week. Also ordered GPM parts for comparison.
Proline Light Bar.jpg

***UPDATE*** Added Proline Overland Roof Rack and Proline 4" Light Bar on my BRCC to run at night. Not sure of the lumens it puts out, but it is really bright. Roof Rack is very durable, held up well to a bunch of rollovers so far(pic was taken when it was installed so no battle scars lol).

Still tinkering with suspension setup. Right now I've got: 60wt oil/Tekno Orange Springs Front and 45wt oil/Losi 2.8 Springs Rear. It was very plush, very similar to how my Tekno SCT410.3 rides. It's very close to my liking. I may go up in spring rate in front to combat the nose diving on braking.

Thinking of ditching the duratrax 12mm hexes in favor for Traxxas hexes with captured pin. Ordered HR Steering blocks, HR C-Hubs, HR Adjustable Motor Mount, and HR Steering rack. Should be in next week. Also ordered GPM parts for comparison.
View attachment 26482
I have order all aluminum hop up from hot racing and GPM just like you + metal spur gear, same tire and hub extension. Why would you change duratrax 12mm hex for traxxas hex with captured pin, you will loose the 10mm each side extension wricksta ?

That’s one mean looking BRCC bro !!! I just got one. I beating it stock for a while before I start upgrading it. Man I’ve had to change my driving style lol !!!

Thanks Camo!!! Good to see more BRCC guys. This is the first "basher" I've purchased in over a decade and I'm having so much fun with it.
Thanks for all your pictures and advice. I’ve ordered the 12mm duratrax hexes and 17mm hr adapters and I already have the 2.8 tires off my pro mt 4x4. The Traxxas bearing info is great I will be converting I dislike metal shielded bearings lol. Thanks again for the info

Wussup Dutch! This setup def helps stabilize the BRCC. It'll still traction roll on pavement once in a while, but it's a different truck on dirt and grass. I'm still dialing in the suspension, but it is plush. It soaks up rough stuff just like my Tekno SCT410.3.

My current suspension setup:
Front - Tekno EB48 front shocks/Tekno Rear Orange Springs/10-hole pistons/Losi 60wt oil
Rear - Tekno EB48 rear shocks/Losi 3.1x2.8 Springs/10-hole pistons/Losi 40wt oil

cool man...yeah, i just got a senton 3s and its a little ripper but it handles for poop...i need bigger tires and a shock change... ill def try that setup... do you race at lake park?

Senton is a fun SCT, there are a couple guys running them at the track. They manage to stay on the lead lap with the Tekno's & Losi's(which IMO are the best SCTs), so they are probably better drivers than the rest of us lol.

Yeah I used to race at lake park a lot, especially when I was pretty serious about racing. Have you been there in the past 3 yrs? They tore down the rickety old press box/driver stand and the county built a badass driver stand. It's about 8ft lower, but it is 3x as wide. I won the Force Series race there 3yrs ago Sportsman E-Buggy and took 2nd in 4wd SCT. My home track was B&B Hobbies though. I raced there with a lot of good buddies, and learned a lot from them. I raced with AJ Marasco everywhere, he's now a team driver for JConcepts and Associated. Also raced with Jason Briener who was sponsored by Tekno and did a lot of R&D for them. He was working on my sponsorship with Tekno when I took a break from RC for a year to open my my gym.

I now race 2-3x a month at a local track in Lutz, Daniels Hobbies. I'm good friends with the owner, it's not as serious, just a bunch of guys driving around a 1/10 sct track(1/2 dirt, 1/4 brick pavers, 1/4 asphalt). It's pretty cool, def challenging to setup your cars. I don't have the time to commit to racing like I used to. He's even created classes to just have fun on race day. We have a Tamiya Monster Beetle class and (since me and my buddies bought a bunch of Granites and BRCCs) he's gonna let us run a 1/10 monster truck class. You gotta come by when you are in town visiting family.

yeah i saw pics of lake park...I haven't been there in years...used to race bmx and rc as a kid.... you are serious about track stuff... I did see that there are a bunch of tracks around tampa now.. thats really cool..im gonna come down in a few weeks...ill def get with you..my friend Pun is big in rc... we are gonna bash.... where is the track in lutz?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back