Big Rock Big Rock Crew Cab V3 "Heavy Duty Jump Basher" Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primarrma

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 8S
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
I though I better start a build log seeing as I keep adding stuff to my BRCC, tonight I fitted the 6s Typhon shocks I had set aside for another build. I'll recall the rest of the build soon, but for now here are some pics.

20210513_211104.jpg
20210513_211052.jpg
20210513_211039.jpg
20210513_211018.jpg
20210513_211005.jpg

I though I better start a build log seeing as I keep adding stuff to my BRCC, tonight I fitted the 6s Typhon shocks I had set aside for another build. I'll recall the rest of the build soon, but for now here are some pics.

View attachment 145393View attachment 145394View attachment 145395View attachment 145396View attachment 145397
Looks nice. Is that a Zeee 5200mah 80c? I'm thinking about ordering a pair and wonder how they hold up in the 3s line. Do you like them?

I’ve been impressed with zeee batteries. Cheap and perform well.
Okay. I DO NOT recommend Lectron pro LiPos I bought one because my LHS recommended it and it's given me issues since I got it. It's a 5200mah and only takes 3100mah and obviously doesn't hold up to it's C rating (50c). It has really bad sag and trips LVC after 6-7mins. Driving in cold more like 3-4. Hope Zeee holds up to their specs I should have a far better experience with RC having a decent LiPo. Would have claimed warranty or returned it but I thought it was normal being a newbie to LiPos. Now it's too late. Maybe I got a dud IDK

Okay. I DO NOT recommend Lectron pro LiPos I bought one because my LHS recommended it and it's given me issues since I got it. It's a 5200mah and only takes 3100mah and obviously doesn't hold up to it's C rating (50c). It has really bad sag and trips LVC after 6-7mins. Driving in cold more like 3-4. Hope Zeee holds up to their specs I should have a far better experience with RC having a decent LiPo. Would have claimed warranty or returned it but I thought it was normal being a newbie to LiPos. Now it's too late. Maybe I got a dud IDK
hmmmm... that's strange... i have the exact same battery, a lectron pro 2s 5200 mah 50c, and it takes full charge, i can run the battery to lvc and it will charge to like 5000~5100 mah. maybe you got a bad battery? and i can get a good 40-45 min of run time depending on my throttle finger 😉

I have the same issue with my povway lipos. Ones a 7200mAh the other is 5200 both 3s and after about 5mins they trip LVC, check voltage and says cells still at 3.7-3.8v. Really sucks as they are both brand new only have ran them like 4-5 times each as this happens every time. Wish they performed how they are supposed to as they are the lightest packs I own which helps with bashing to keep weight down and save parts.

Looks nice. Is that a Zeee 5200mah 80c? I'm thinking about ordering a pair and wonder how they hold up in the 3s line. Do you like them?
I have the the soft pack 4s Zeee batteries as well and they have been superb, but these hard case 3s batteries don't have anywhere near the punch that the HobbyKing Turnigy Heavy Duty 3s packs I've got have, I'm a little unimpressed with these Zeee's but very impressed with the 4s Zeee's. My guess is it's hit and miss, and if you get a some from a good batch then they are going to be great, but they may have some that are not so good. They have been reliable just not giving the performance I would have expected, the IR is quite high on these 2 3s Zeee batteries, which has been the case from the start.

setup test run.

In this run I have the standard wheels installed again(as in the images above), but running the 6s Typhon shocks, they worked out really well, but are very heavy. I have the m2c motor mount and brace installed and a 6s blx system esc and motor. Once again I feel like the motor is way to heavy in this truck. I have a 25kg servo installed, but I had to force the stock 23t servo saver into the the 25t spline while I wait for an order to arrive.

I broke one of the rear hubs and will need to wait till the parts arrive to fix it. I'll be rebuilding the stock shocks and fitting a smaller motor soon.

I fitted the hot racing ball kit they are a good upgrade from the stock plastic ones.

setup test run.

In this run I have the standard wheels installed again(as in the images above), but running the 6s Typhon shocks, they worked out really well, but are very heavy. I have the m2c motor mount and brace installed and a 6s blx system esc and motor. Once again I feel like the motor is way to heavy in this truck. I have a 25kg servo installed, but I had to force the stock 23t servo saver into the the 25t spline while I wait for an order to arrive.

I broke one of the rear hubs and will need to wait till the parts arrive to fix it. I'll be rebuilding the stock shocks and fitting a smaller motor soon.

I fitted the hot racing ball kit they are a good upgrade from the stock plastic ones.
How do you like the 6S Typhoon shocks besides the weight? Front and rear set-up? Was it with the stock body and springs?

Many here seems to be going towards that shocks route on their BRCC. I’m contemplating the same route.

How do you like the 6S Typhoon shocks besides the weight? Front and rear set-up? Was it with the stock body and springs?

Many here seems to be going towards that shocks route on their BRCC. I’m contemplating the same route.
I didn't like it at all, the whole build was too heavy, I changed them back after one or two runs. Mind you I didn't tune the shocks and I had a heavier motor in at the time.

I've settled on the blx185 and the stock motor, so I can run 4s, the stock shocks are very easy to bend the shafts, but you can bend them back easily.

The 6s shocks are good, they work well, if you only changed the shocks it would work out nicely. I had some lying around so I thought I'd give it a try.

Let me know how you get on.

Any tips for doing this?
Remove the shock from the car and lever the shaft with your hands. Do this by putting the bent part on the edge of a bench or vice and then with a little force pushing the opposite way to the bend. You may find it easier to remove the shaft from the shock body. I've even been able to bend them back with my thumb and fingers.

The shafts are cheap and easy to replace, if you would prefer.
My best upgrade is the m2c motor mount, this thing is extremely good, it locks the whole back end in and it supports the motor really well with the extra brace.

It has no issue supporting the heavy blx 6s motor.
20210503_205121.jpg
20210503_205210.jpg
20210506_195712.jpg
20210506_195618.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't like it at all, the whole build was too heavy, I changed them back after one or two runs. Mind you I didn't tune the shocks and I had a heavier motor in at the time.

I've settled on the blx185 and the stock motor, so I can run 4s, the stock shocks are very easy to bend the shafts, but you can bend them back easily.

The 6s shocks are good, they work well, if you only changed the shocks it would work out nicely. I had some lying around so I thought I'd give it a try.

Let me know how you get on.
Thanks! I’m new to the RC scene so doubt I’ll go crazy with upgrades to the motor department, at least not in the immediate future. Just wanted a better handling and stable car.

Many of us here are using the Typhon 6S shocks and we like them....I know you are not about to upgrade but keep this in mind. The 6S shocks are a direct fit but not all true for the Big Rock. The Big Rock is heavier than the Typhon and the Typhon springs are too soft if you put them on directly. Like most, we change the springs to get to the in/lb weight of the Big Rock shock springs. So on my Big Rock, I went with the yellow Team Associate springs. Now it can support the weight of the BR. I found I like 60wt oil in the 6S shocks along with the springs together a great performance for me on this rig...

Many of us here are using the Typhon 6S shocks and we like them....I know you are not about to upgrade but keep this in mind. The 6S shocks are a direct fit but not all true for the Big Rock. The Big Rock is heavier than the Typhon and the Typhon springs are too soft if you put them on directly. Like most, we change the springs to get to the in/lb weight of the Big Rock shock springs. So on my Big Rock, I went with the yellow Team Associate springs. Now it can support the weight of the BR. I found I like 60wt oil in the 6S shocks along with the springs together a great performance for me on this rig...
Don’t big rock and typhon use identical shocks and springs from the factory?

Don’t big rock and typhon use identical shocks and springs from the factory?
I think he is talking about the 6s Typhon shocks, which are definitely different.
Thanks! I’m new to the RC scene so doubt I’ll go crazy with upgrades to the motor department, at least not in the immediate future. Just wanted a better handling and stable car.
The shocks may improve handling, but the big rock is not a stable design, if you want a stable car the Vorteks is much better.

Well, the Typhon 6S is way heavier than the big rock.
Yeah I'm a little confused about the comment, I would have put money on the 6s Typhon being heavier than the big rock. I have both and the big rock had very soft springs compared to the 6s Typhon?

Weight becomes factor quik with 1/10..I've tryed multiple setups.best I've found is
Any 6s esc
4068-2650kv
3700mah 4s packs (300 grams)
22ish t pinion
The 4068-2650kv is the smallest lightest 400mm motor
I only run 6s on road cause of weight.
4s off road👍 fast as hell
BTW blx185 will fit down inbetween motor an receiver box.lower center of gravity.but must remove it to remove motor

Attachments

• 20200920_100936.jpg
    20200920_100936.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 49
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back