Big Rock Big Rock Crew Cab V3 "Heavy Duty Jump Basher" Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, the Typhon 6S is way heavier than the big rock.

Yeah I'm a little confused about the comment, I would have put money on the 6s Typhon being heavier than the big rock. I have both and the big rock had very soft springs compared to the 6s Typhon?

Sorry fellas I don't mean to confuse anyone...my bad...

Yes. I am referring to the Typhon 6S shocks, not the other Typhon shocks (3S I think) which do look like the Big Rock and Granite shocks. I'm referring to the red anodized aluminum shocks for the Typhon 6S.

Now, so many people want better shocks on the Big Rock/Granite I really don't see anyone talking bout how heavy a shock is. Personally, I have no idea what the 6S shock weights compared to the Big Rock OEM shocks. We all were going for better performance which the 6S achieve by the demand and sale of them. So how heavy they are in this rig seems small toome...man you see Rich Duperdash with beefy shocks so power can overcome that small one to forget about the physical weight of the shocks.

Yes, the 6S are bigger but they are "softer" in spring tension when you compare the data to the Big Rock factory springs. We up the springs to get closer to the spring in/lb of the factory Big Rock springs. Yes, you want better shocks like the 6S but you do not want to lose the in/lb that the Big Rock gave you by going down in in/lb for bashing. You want the springs to be equal or better:

Granite\Big Rock BLX Springs (Stock)
Front - 70mm @ 5.71 lb/in (ARA330538)
Rear - 80mm @ 4.80 lb/in (ARA330539)

Typhon Springs (Stock)
  • Front - 70mm @ 85 g/mm or 4.75 lb/in (ARA330237)
  • Piston - 4x57mm (ARA330477)

• Rear - 84mm @ 56.6 g/mm or 3.19 lb/in (ARA330239)
  • Piston - 4x64.5mm (ARA330479)

So you can see the numbers. Typhons 6S shocks if left as is you lose some spring resistance which is what you DO NOT want on the Big Rock for jumping that is. So we sometimes get the springs off the Kraton, Mojave, etc, and replace the softer Typhon 6S springs with those. In my case I used Team Associate on my Typhon 6S shocks that are on my Big Rock:

Team Associates Springs for Typhon (Black)
  • Front Yellow (ASC81215)
  • 5.4 lb/in
  • 70mm

• Rear Yellow (ASC81220)
  • 4.6 ib/in
  • 79mm

I apologize for the confusion I hope with the data this cleared that up. I'm not looking at the physical weight I care less about that people like Rich are not worried about a shock being physically heavy. We want performance :)

Last edited:
Gpm also makes some. Little cheaper, senton 6s
Zd racing also

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210624-125654_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210624-125654_eBay.jpg
    288.8 KB · Views: 45
Weight becomes factor quik with 1/10..I've tryed multiple setups.best I've found is
Any 6s esc
4068-2650kv
3700mah 4s packs (300 grams)
22ish t pinion
The 4068-2650kv is the smallest lightest 400mm motor
I only run 6s on road cause of weight.
4s off road👍 fast as hell
BTW blx185 will fit down inbetween motor an receiver box.lower center of gravity.but must remove it to remove motor
Very good info here, thank you.

I did have the esc down low before in one of the photos or shows it above, but I had a longer can I wanted to install so I moved it, now I can remove the motor. It's great to see how much effort you've put in.

Does 1/10 scale started at all but a year ago for me now I'm getting ready to run this Mojave for the first time that I just set up can I see how fast I can go with it.78mph is my 1/10 record ...140mph is my 1/8.hoping for 120 with this 8s mojave.h-wing quikrun 150a was my favorite 1/10esc.small,unbreakable,an will run 2,3,4,5,6s..5s is a nice option for 1/10.

16245744400738811006047999075937.jpg

20200818_202937.jpg

Last edited:

Yes. I am referring to the Typhon 6S shocks, not the other Typhon shocks (3S I think) which do look like the Big Rock and Granite shocks. I'm referring to the red anodized aluminum shocks for the Typhon 6S.

Now, so many people want better shocks on the Big Rock/Granite I really don't see anyone talking bout how heavy a shock is. Personally, I have no idea what the 6S shock weights compared to the Big Rock OEM shocks. We all were going for better performance which the 6S achieve by the demand and sale of them. So how heavy they are in this rig seems small toome...man you see Rich Duperdash with beefy shocks so power can overcome that small one to forget about the physical weight of the shocks.

Yes, the 6S are bigger but they are "softer" in spring tension when you compare the data to the Big Rock factory springs. We up the springs to get closer to the spring in/lb of the factory Big Rock springs. Yes, you want better shocks like the 6S but you do not want to lose the in/lb that the Big Rock gave you by going down in in/lb for bashing. You want the springs to be equal or better:

Typhon Springs (Stock)

So you can see the numbers. Typhons 6S shocks if left as is you lose some spring resistance which is what you DO NOT want on the Big Rock for jumping that is. So we sometimes get the springs off the Kraton, Mojave, etc, and replace the softer Typhon 6S springs with those. In my case I used Team Associate on my Typhon 6S:

• 5.4 lb/in
  • 70mm

• Rear Yellow (ASC81220)
  • 4.6 ib/in
  • 79mm

I apologize for the confusion I hope with the data this cleared that up. I'm not looking at the physical weight I care less about that people like Rich are not worried about a shock being physically heavy. We want performance :)
Thanks for the absolute and clear explanation!

Does 1/10 scale started at all but a year ago for me now I'm getting ready to run this Mojave for the first time that I just set up can I see how fast I can go with it.78mph is my 1/10 record ...140mph is my 1/8.hoping for 120 with this 8s mojave.h-wing quikrun 150a was my favorite 1/10esc.small,unbreakable,an will run 2,3,4,5,6s..5s is a nice option for 1/10.

View attachment 153998

View attachment 153999

I am not a fan of the Mojave just don't like how the wheels are tucked in...but yours is not like that... I like this flush look. I do know why it is that way....

What did you do to get that stance and flush to body look....is it just wheels or you have wheel extenders?

Senton 6s suspension on front(the narrowest)
Typhon suspension on rear(2nd narrowerest)
Needs square justbashit adapters that extend out.i just bashed it into a curb hard.🤣😂

16245837165887449557041429423231.jpg

Typhon Springs (Stock)

So you can see the numbers. Typhons 6S shocks if left as is you lose some spring resistance which is what you DO NOT want on the Big Rock for jumping that is. So we sometimes get the springs off the Kraton, Mojave, etc, and replace the softer Typhon 6S springs with those. In my case I used Team Associate on my Typhon 6S shocks that are on my Big Rock:

• 5.4 lb/in
  • 70mm

• Rear Yellow (ASC81220)
  • 4.6 ib/in
  • 79mm

There you go, I would have never guessed that the shock springs on the Typhon were not as stiff as the stock big rock, I ended up stretching my big rock springs to give me some extra preload, but I like your idea of upping the Typhon spring weight. Thanks for the great info!

3s shocks springs are quite stiff and good for jumping. The drawback to 3s shocks is not performance, but durability. The shock shafts bend and the shock rod ends break under heavy bashing. If you're not breaking stuff on your 3s shocks, there may be no need to upgrade.

Many 3s owners get Typhon 6s shocks thinking they'll be stiffer, but they are designed for speed, not jumping. Typhon 6s springs are MUCH lighter than 3s springs. The good thing about the Typhon 6s shocks is they are a good length for 3s vehicles.

But if you're upgrading shocks for jumping, Team Associated RC8 Yellow Springs have nearly identical spring rate to 3s shocks and perform very well in 3s Arrma's with 16mm shocks. An even stiffer combination is Mojave ARA330639 shocks in front and Kraton/Outcast AR330507 in the rear.

This is an incredibly useful thread to compare shock spring stiffness. If you compare, you'll see 3s springs are actually stiffer than many 6s springs. If you're upgrading to 16mm shocks expecting stiffer shocks, you should check this thread first.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-spring-list-chart-for-4s-and-most-6s-vehicles.18704/

Compare to
Front - 70mm @ 5.71 lb/in
Rear - 80mm @ 4.80 lb/in

Last edited:
3s shocks springs are quite stiff and good for jumping. The drawback to 3s shocks is not performance, but durability. The shock shafts bend and the shock rod ends break under heavy bashing. If you're not breaking stuff on your 3s shocks, there may be no need to upgrade.

Many 3s owners get Typhon 6s shocks thinker they'll be stiffer, but they are designed for speed, not jumping. Typhon 6s springs are MUCH lighter than 3s springs.

Team Associated RC8 Yellow Springs have nearly identical spring rate to 3s shocks and perform very well in 3s Arrma's with 16mm shocks. An even stiffer combination is Mojave ARA330639 shocks in front and Kraton/Outcast AR330507 in the rear.

This is an incredibly useful thread to compare shock spring stiffness. If you compare, you'll see 3s springs are actually stiffer than many 6s springs. If you're upgrading to 16mm shocks expecting stiffer shocks, you should check this thread first.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/arrma-spring-list-chart-for-4s-and-most-6s-vehicles.18704/

Compare to
Rear - 80mm @ 4.80 lb/in
Indeed my stock 3S shock rod did break after first time use of the Big Rock. 🤦🏽‍♂️

Many 3s owners get Typhon 6s shocks thinking they'll be stiffer, but they are designed for speed, not jumping. Typhon 6s springs are MUCH lighter than 3s springs. The good thing about the Typhon 6s shocks is they are a good length for 3s vehicles.

But if you're upgrading shocks for jumping, Team Associated RC8 Yellow Springs have nearly identical spring rate to 3s shocks and perform very well in 3s Arrma's with 16mm shocks. An even stiffer combination is Mojave ARA330639 shocks in front and Kraton/Outcast AR330507 in the rear.

Compare to
Rear - 80mm @ 4.80 lb/in
Hmm, so the Mojave & Kraton/Outcast shocks combo are stiffer in comparison to the Typhoon shocks with the same Team Associated Yellow Springs. Is that what you saying?

Last edited:

Compare to
Rear - 80mm @ 4.80 lb/in
That is really interesting, I imagined the weight of the 6s Typhon would have made for a stiffer ride on the brcc, but I guess spring rates are spring rates. Thanks for the details.

Hmm, so the Mojave & Kraton/Outcast shocks combo are stiffer in comparison to the Typhoon shocks with the same Team Associated Yellow Springs. Is that what you saying?
Yes, the Mojave Kraton/Outcast are stiffer, but that doesn't necessarily mean better, it depends on how you drive. I mainly jump so I'm using the stiffer setup. But the Team Associated springs are better all rounders, they absorb bumps better, perform better on the ground and are still stiff enough for jumping.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back