Big Rock Big Rock durability

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pr3c1ousss

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi!
I was having in mind that the Nero Big Rock was pretty stable and would be ideal for HD use but I’ve read in another thread that parts were breaking every time...?
I’m a bit confused now and concerned as I don’t want to spend more time fixing a car than bashing it..
I am also wondering if an update is somehow planned for this MT as it came out a few years ago...
FYI: I do not own one yet but the Nero Big Rock was on the top of my list...
Thanks in advance!

For what I know the Big Rock is durable. I have recently bought the Nero but because of the weather i didn't ran it much yet so I can't say too much about my experience, Just keep in mind the Nero (Big Rock) is a heavy truck so impacts are high in case of crashes or (big) jumps.

Essentially the Nero, Fazon and Big Rock are the same truck with some parts switched out and different bodies. That being said, the Big Rock has the Heavy Duty version of the parts the other two don't. Of course you can swap the HD parts to a Nero or a Fazon if you wish. All in all, all 3 are great vehicles but nothing in RC is bullet proof. They all take care and maintenenace and will break from time to time. The nice thing about the Arrma stuff is it has been pretty durable for me running 6s, easy enough to work on and most times I did break something I was in the "oh that's not going to end well" moment. To be honest, half the times I thought I broke something the truck kept running so hats off to Arrma. The Traxxas lawsuit has screwed up some parts availability for now so fingers crossed that works our but you can still get stuff on eBay and aftermarket as well. I found that the recommendations on this forum were spot on for setting up the trucks and must do tweaks and I would highly recommend either the Big Rock or get the Nero or Fazon but upgrade the shock parts, drive shafts and linkage to heavy duty parts. I did both. I have a Big Rock and I have a Nero running HD shocks, Hot Racing HD splined drive shafts and wheel hubs and heavy duty tie rods made from spring steel with HD rod ends. The trucks run great and no issues. Just do the routine maintenance as well.

Ive had the nero for almost 2 yrs...runs great. Broke rod ends early on but upgraded to hd and adjusted shock positions and its been solid. I don't have the diff brain...so i sealed the diffs with oil...drivetrain has been great on 6s. Servo is weak and u need to make sure servo saver is tight...use zip tie to prevent saver from loosening. Reinforce body with shoe glue...get wheelie bar...change shock oil to liking and ur set.

Essentially the Nero, Fazon and Big Rock are the same truck with some parts switched out and different bodies. That being said, the Big Rock has the Heavy Duty version of the parts the other two don't. Of course you can swap the HD parts to a Nero or a Fazon if you wish. All in all, all 3 are great vehicles but nothing in RC is bullet proof. They all take care and maintenenace and will break from time to time. The nice thing about the Arrma stuff is it has been pretty durable for me running 6s, easy enough to work on and most times I did break something I was in the "oh that's not going to end well" moment. To be honest, half the times I thought I broke something the truck kept running so hats off to Arrma. The Traxxas lawsuit has screwed up some parts availability for now so fingers crossed that works our but you can still get stuff on eBay and aftermarket as well. I found that the recommendations on this forum were spot on for setting up the trucks and must do tweaks and I would highly recommend either the Big Rock or get the Nero or Fazon but upgrade the shock parts, drive shafts and linkage to heavy duty parts. I did both. I have a Big Rock and I have a Nero running HD shocks, Hot Racing HD splined drive shafts and wheel hubs and heavy duty tie rods made from spring steel with HD rod ends. The trucks run great and no issues. Just do the routine maintenance as well.
Thanks for the detailed answer. I am focusing on the Big Rock anyway just not yet sure if I should go for it or rather towards a Kraton or Outcast...
Arrma is having so many good options...!

Thanks for the detailed answer. I am focusing on the Big Rock anyway just not yet sure if I should go for it or rather towards a Kraton or Outcast...
Arrma is having so many good options...!

Just depends on where and how u bash. If you plan to do lots of jumps go Kraton...if you like to bash in open field Nero is great and stays planted at high speeds. Kraton is more diversre...but Nero gives you a true Monster Truck feel.

Ya, agree with Mboss. Like you stated, Arrma gives you a lot of options. The funny thing is that several platforms are very close to one another even sharing many of the same parts but a shorter chassis here or longer set of arms there and your driving experience is completely different. I guess my point to that is that if you even have a few additional options by just rebuilding whatever vehicle you choose every now and again to change things up if you are so inclined. Some would never dream of doing that but if your on this forum, chances are your fine with the idea of wrenching on your rides. I don't think you can really go wrong with any BLX 4WD Arrma for an overall fun running bash experience.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back