Big Rock big rock gearing question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedbeardRon

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
whats the lowest gearing i can go with this platform.. im looking t make a monster truck for a little one and am looking to slow it down as much as possible.

On the stock motor mount you can only lower 2 tooth from 15 to 13.

Did you consider settings a lower endpoint on the throttle?

epa.png

also wanted to gear down because im going to put on some of the jconcepts clod size monster truck wheels and tires (already got them ordered), he is a big monster jam fan and i just want something slow and durable, deciding between big rock and just grabbing a slash 4x4 atm

I'd grab a granite blx. Those things are bad to the BONE.

With that 11t, how much did it slow it down and did the temps go down too? I'm thinking about going to a lower gear because of where I usually run my truck. Also, did you have to switch the motor mount to a Hot Racing type of mount?

Not sure how much slower it got, didn't Seem any slower to the eye but im sure it dropped a few mph... Temps again dunno never keep an eye on these things.. And yes I installed the HR motor mount to go lower teeth.

Where do you find other gearing options? I was only able to find the stock (15T) and an "upgrade" option 26T.

Are there other options for Spur gears? Are there any options for other pitch gears?

Thanks!

-ThaChad

Where do you find other gearing options? I was only able to find the stock (15T) and an "upgrade" option 26T.

Are there other options for Spur gears? Are there any options for other pitch gears?

Thanks!

-ThaChad
The stock motor mount plate has predrilled holes for 13t 15t 20t and 26t pinions , I would suggest getting the Hot racing adjustable motor mount plate then you can use whatever size pinion you want and can set your own mesh, also wouldnt go over a 18t pinion ideally , you could get away with a 20t for just on road stuff but even that will overheat the motor if your running it too hard

Are their any other Spur gears available? Are their different pitch gears available?

Thanks,

-TheChad

The stock motor mount plate has predrilled holes for 13t 15t 20t and 26t pinions , I would suggest getting the Hot racing adjustable motor mount plate then you can use whatever size pinion you want and can set your own mesh, also wouldnt go over a 18t pinion ideally , you could get away with a 20t for just on road stuff but even that will overheat the motor if your running it too hard

Is the Hot Racing motor mount better than the factory adjustable motor mount?

Right now, with factory gearing on 2S the speed control shuts down and blinks read (over heat?) if I try to run 2 packs back to back, about 2-5 min into the 2nd pack.

-ThaChad

Is the Hot Racing motor mount better than the factory adjustable motor mount?

Right now, with factory gearing on 2S the speed control shuts down and blinks read (over heat?) if I try to run 2 packs back to back, about 2-5 min into the 2nd pack.

-ThaChad
The motor mounts are very similar, but they won’t fix your heat issues. You should get a motor fan or two. It has helped my Granite a lot. I still thermal if going all out for an entire 3S 7600mAH pack, but with minimal use it stays cool enough.

The motor mounts are very similar, but they won’t fix your heat issues. You should get a motor fan or two. It has helped my Granite a lot. I still thermal if going all out for an entire 3S 7600mAH pack, but with minimal use it stays cool enough.
But he said hes hitting thermal only 2s with factory gearing, which shouldn't happen unless maybe its super thick grass?? Sounds like he has some sort of other issue

But he said hes hitting thermal only 2s with factory gearing, which shouldn't happen unless maybe its super thick grass?? Sounds like he has some sort of other issue
Valid points there. My take is to still put some fans on the motor. It won’t hurt to do so. But he said he’s hitting thermal on his second pack, ran right after the first one. I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be able to run back to back packs? ??‍♂️

My engine became really hot after 15min on a 3s 5000Mah battery (all stock except for the bigger tires & driving on very short grass) the red light was flashing on the esc, heatproblem i think as well, so monday they deliver my cooler from Germany for the engine & later that week the esc cooler will come in, sure hope that fix my problem and i can blast the living hell out of my BRCC. It should take 1 full batteryload without breaking down or giving problems.

My engine became really hot after 15min on a 3s 5000Mah battery (all stock except for the bigger tires & driving on very short grass) the red light was flashing on the esc, heatproblem i think as well, so monday they deliver my cooler from Germany for the engine & later that week the esc cooler will come in, sure hope that fix my problem and i can blast the living hell out of my BRCC. It should take 1 full batteryload without breaking down or giving problems.
Cooler/ fan should help with temps. Should gear down a bit since you have added larger tires. That will help with temps as well... You're limited with gear sizes if you have the stock motor mount...

I screwed this WTF fan from hobbyking on the original heatsink of the motor, so the screws are clamping since there are no holes in there to screw it down.
Connected it into the receiverbox and it's giving nice high rpms.

Attachments

• 79053.jpg
    79053.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 55
This answers a question I had. We're on a 20T with our granite. . . That's probably bad. We've been doing speed fun in parking lots. We should probably go shorter.

Put a 6s motor in it.problem solved. I'll run through grass wide open throu a whole 3s battery pack in 90 degree weather with paddles.no overheating and I haven't burned up the ESC yet. It's hard on the batteries thou batteries super hot.26t pinion. Torque monster

Attachments

• 1595128783112121421908814592652.jpg
    1595128783112121421908814592652.jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 80
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back