Big Rock Big Rock Lost Gear Mesh

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InSaYnE

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
I travel for work and decided to take my big rock with me to battle mountain Nevada this week. There's an empty lot behind our hotel that has some nice berms to jump and wide open spaces to let it rip. Well first i broke a rod end at the rocker arm. no surprise as mine are still stock.

with some creative use of heat shrink i layered over the rod end i ended up with a surprisingly sturdy patch. Took her back out and couldn't avoid a puddle. this is where my troubles start. the dirt out here is like a fine gravel.. down to a sort of sand like substance. needless to say the poop is getting everywhere. its actually quite foul. My truck is damp, covered in a grey, sand, mud, gravel poop paste and i cant clean it until at least Thursday. Bolt heads are starting to rust and I'm getting super frustrated at the situation i put myself in.

I started to notice a grinding sound. I shake her out but its still there. i started looking and couldn't find any pebbles in anything. i pulled the bottom skid and that's when i saw it. my gear mesh was not longer right and it was skipping teeth. luckily the spur and pinion are undamaged. i looked up how to properly adjust my gear mesh and find its done with the transmission. get into the machine and find both transmission extremely tight. the trans didn't slip. what else could it be? the motor can to motor mount bolts? Unfortunately while on the road i don't have decent tools for the RC. all i have is a huskey brand fold out allen wrench set and they are most likely going to ruin bolts.

TL;DR: What else could have disrupted my big rocks gear mesh if the transmission is still tight? What are your recommendations for tools to work on the big rock? i don't want to deal with stripping bolts or cheap tools anymore.

Thanks Woodie! i actually checked out your post about tools and ordered up the Bondhus metric drivers and the dynamite nut drivers you suggested right after making this thread. I thought about the portable set but i think the bondhus set will be better with the ball socket heads and still be portable.

Well got it torn down and almost back together. Had one stripped bolt on the tranny mount used to set gear mesh. I tried dremeling it into a flat head slot and the bolt was so tight from the factory that i began to chip the steel head while trying to loosen it with a screwdriver. It took vice grips to get it out. Got a new bolt and then found that the pinion was roached from a rock that got in there. Put the high speed pinon in and well see how she goes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back