Big Rock Big Rock motor options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walking_target

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Talion
Evening All,

The guy who had my Big Rock before me installed a HobbyWing 4000kv motor to replace the stock.

As such, it is cogging a bit and I think I need to swap it out for a lower kv motor to give it back its torque.

Any motor suggestions that will drop straight in?

2B755F88-C095-42C4-B61D-D1928BD3275A.jpeg

^^^^^ runs great on stock with a fan added for longer bashing

Surpass hobby also do the same specs KV etc as the stock Spectrum, I run these in all my Arrma 3s rigs. 3660 can 3200kv. Will still cog if the gearing is a bit high but rips if it's right. 15t for a BR. Under $30US.
Could always go stock. Cheap from jennys

I've had nothing but issues with the stock Spectrum motor. 5 and 0 😱 I bought 5 Surpass Hobby motors for off Banggood for my 3 Arrmas thinking I'll need a couple as spare but none have failed.

As in this one?

[£29.49]Surpass Hobby Waterproof 3660 Sensorless Brushless Motor 3.175mm 4250KV 3600KV 3200KV 2800KV for 1/10 RC Vehicles RC Parts from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood https://banggood.app.link/qo6FGzLuDkb
No. Motor shaft is too small on this one. This one listed in the link only has a 3.175mm motor shaft while you need a 5mm shaft, the same as stock.

The one I listed is a 5mm shaft - unless I am missing something?

View attachment 176048
Don't know where you got this picture from but the link you posted earlier says it has a 3.175mm shaft.
As in this one?

[£29.49]Surpass Hobby Waterproof 3660 Sensorless Brushless Motor 3.175mm 4250KV 3600KV 3200KV 2800KV for 1/10 RC Vehicles RC Parts from Toys Hobbies and Robot on banggood https://banggood.app.link/qo6FGzLuDkb
Screenshot_20211025-144359_Banggood.jpg

Ha! It was a screenshot from the link I posted - so it says 3.75mm in the blurb and then 5mm elsewhere - which is helpful!

Ha! It was a screenshot from the link I posted - so it says 3.75mm in the blurb and then 5mm elsewhere - which is helpful!
Well, whatever you decide to do, make sure that you get a motor with a 5mm shaft. Also, be aware that the stock Arrma 5mm Safe-D pinion does not fir aftermarket motors, even though it is a 5mm pinion. The cutout on the Safe-D pinion is different and only fits the Spektrum motors.

The stock motor
My stock Spektrum only lasted like 12-25 runs before the front bearing exploded. I mean exploded, bearings in the winding and everything, I think the esc survived

BTW another that I'd suggest, is the castle 1412. It is a 1/8 shaft but castle is quality, and I wouldn't question their motors for durability. I personally think 1/8 shafts isn't an issue, unless you deal with cheaper lower quality motors where the shaft isn't quite on the level
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/...castle-1412-sensored-motor-3200kv-060-0085-00
Similar in price to the replacement Spektrum (3660 3200KV), but i bet far better than the motor we want to replace. I do understand people looking for the cheapest motors, but i have always went by the old saying, "Buy once, cry once". Yes it's about double to triple most suggestions but I'd trust it a lot further and in a lot harsher situations. especially since the spektrum only lasted maybe 15 runs for me

My stock Spektrum only lasted like 12-25 runs before the front bearing exploded. I mean exploded, bearings in the winding and everything, I think the esc survived

BTW another that I'd suggest, is the castle 1412. It is a 1/8 shaft but castle is quality, and I wouldn't question their motors for durability. I personally think 1/8 shafts isn't an issue, unless you deal with cheaper lower quality motors where the shaft isn't quite on the level
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/...castle-1412-sensored-motor-3200kv-060-0085-00
Similar in price to the replacement Spektrum (3660 3200KV), but i bet far better than the motor we want to replace. I do understand people looking for the cheapest motors, but i have always went by the old saying, "Buy once, cry once". Yes it's about double to triple most suggestions but I'd trust it a lot further and in a lot harsher situations. especially since the spektrum only lasted maybe 15 runs for me

Spectrum stock 3s motors are junk. None of my 3s rigs have a stock motor in them. I've pulled the stock motor apart and they look ok, but they just don't run. They get really coggy. I thought I was having ESC issues but nope Spektrum motor junk. I've thrashed the living snott out of a Surpass Hobby motor in my Senton that just keeps coming back for more. I think it might even be a 3800kv but I give it death on 3s. Cheap as chips too.

Spectrum stock 3s motors are junk. None of my 3s rigs have a stock motor in them. I've pulled the stock motor apart and they look ok, but they just don't run. They get really coggy. I thought I was having ESC issues but nope Spektrum motor junk. I've thrashed the living snott out of a Surpass Hobby motor in my Senton that just keeps coming back for more. I think it might even be a 3800kv but I give it death on 3s. Cheap as chips too.
That’s what my granite is doing lately, cogging much more then it used to. I was wondering if it was a motor or the ESC and was leaning towards the motor. Sounds like your experienced this and it was the motor for sure. I have a new 6 pole motor and 130amp esc, just haven’t thrown them in yet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back