Big Rock Big rock over heats easily?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
Truck is 100% stock. Stock 15t pinion. 5200mah 80c 3s. First 10 packs it didn't seem to do this but now even on short drives its getting hot and shutting down.

I've been through it all and have no binding. Everything is turning easily/smoothly. The heat sinks are clean and the fans are spinning.
Kinda lost on why this is getting that hot that easily.
Driving mix of onroad and very very short grass.
Any ideas guys?

Truck is 100% stock. Stock 15t pinion. 5200mah 80c 3s. First 10 packs it didn't seem to do this but now even on short drives its getting hot and shutting down.

I've been through it all and have no binding. Everything is turning easily/smoothly. The heat sinks are clean and the fans are spinning.
Kinda lost on why this is getting that hot that easily.
Driving mix of onroad and very very short grass.
Any ideas guys?

Is it the Motor or the ESC that's getting Hot?
Is the ESC's fan spinning??

Is it the Motor or the ESC that's getting Hot?
Is the ESC's fan spinning??

Both fans are spinning. The motor fan seems a bit faster then the esc fan but being 20x20 vs 30x30 i figure thats normal.
I tried to get a temp with my laser temp gun and by time I got the body off they were both sitting at 140-145. The top of the motor sink with the vertical fins had dropped to 120 already.

Could be the fan on the ESC going out but what seems more likely is bad bearings somewhere causing strain on the drivetrain.

On the 3S line fine dust enters the power module and usually destroys the spur, motor, and other bearings. I seal my power module, others cut a hole in the bottom of the chassis to let dirt out.

Sounds like your RC could use service. I hope the ESC is OK 👍

Hasn’t it been 90+ degrees in St. Louis lately? Ambient temps play a huge role.

You may need to make some changes if you want to drive as hard in the warmer months. We get a little spoiled in winter.

Smaller pinion
Better motor fan
Better ESC fan
Bigger motor/ESC

Hasn’t it been 90+ degrees in St. Louis lately? Ambient temps play a huge role.

You may need to make some changes if you want to drive as hard in the warmer months. We get a little spoiled in winter.

Smaller pinion
Better motor fan
Better ESC fan
Bigger motor/ESC

Well the temp has been mid to low 80's, today was 86 when I had it out.

I purchased a 30x30 rocket fan for the motor earlier, I guess ill get 1 for the esc and give that a go. I thought about swapping pinions but I've only got a 13 and would prefer to try a 14 first.
Guess I'll try these things send report back.
I don't run a fan on the slash at all and havnt had issues so I guess I wasn't expecting to so easily with a fan installed. The big rock is deff heavier though so that may play a part. Both are geared for right at 50

Could be the fan on the ESC going out but what seems more likely is bad bearings somewhere causing strain on the drivetrain.

On the 3S line fine dust enters the power module and usually destroys the spur, motor, and other bearings. I seal my power module, others cut a hole in the bottom of the chassis to let dirt out.

Sounds like your RC could use service. I hope the ESC is OK 👍
Just seen this. Its a brand new truck so there hasn't been much running period lol.
I pulled the module out and cleaned it out last night so I know with today's run it was bright and shiny in there. I'm extremely ocd about keeping things clean and operating smoothly. 🙂

How do you know it's shutting down due to overheat and not LVC?

Yes, this is a test. :)

How do you know it's shutting down due to overheat and not LVC?

Yes, this is a test. :)

Fresh charge on the battery and only a limited run before issues, maybe 5 min in. The red light on esc was flashing and after sitting with the fans a few minutes and turning the esc off and back on i was back on buisness lol.

Fresh charge on the battery and only a limited run before issues, maybe 5 min in. The red light on esc was flashing and after sitting with the fans a few minutes and turning the esc off and back on i was back on buisness lol.

Sorry, you failed. :)

Flashing red light is low-voltage cut-off. Check the voltage with a tester when this happens and see if it's really low voltage, or maybe LVC is set too high for your batteries. Other possibility is the batteries are not fully charging due to too low of a capacity limit setting, or mistakenly doing a "balance" charge on some chargers that don't actually charge when you select "balance".

Flashing red light is low-voltage cut-off. Check the voltage with a tester when this happens and see if it's really low voltage, or maybe LVC is set too high for your batteries. Other possibility is the batteries are not fully charging due to too low of a capacity limit setting, or mistakenly doing a "balance" charge on some chargers that don't actually charge when you select "balance".

I hope your right sir! Thanks for the info and I'll look into it.
I'm new with arrma electronics, and up until 2 years ago was strictly nitro for most of my years so I'm still learning lol (do we ever stop?). Hope your right and its something like that. . .

Ok so I ran a couple through today and instead of clicking balance charge I just hit charge.. I also went through the esc settings and verified its setting (it was ok). So it seemed to not have any issues today.. it ran longer then it was and didn't shut off? Maybe your on to something with the balance charge or something? Its strange to me if it wasn't charging fully how I could shut it down and rip for another 10 if the battery was low...
Its still not making since to me but whatever, I was happy with how it ran today..
I'll still upgrade the fans because that never hurts. Maybe get a new charger if this ones gonna be stupid on me.
Thanks for the suggestions and assistance 😀

Maybe at some point during your run, if you put a heavy load on the battery it is dipping below lvc for a second?

Ok so I ran a couple through today and instead of clicking balance charge I just hit charge.. I also went through the esc settings and verified its setting (it was ok). So it seemed to not have any issues today.. it ran longer then it was and didn't shut off? Maybe your on to something with the balance charge or something? Its strange to me if it wasn't charging fully how I could shut it down and rip for another 10 if the battery was low...
Its still not making since to me but whatever, I was happy with how it ran today..
I'll still upgrade the fans because that never hurts. Maybe get a new charger if this ones gonna be stupid on me.
Thanks for the suggestions and assistance 😀

Which charger are you using? Balance oftentimes doesn't mean balance charge, and just makes all the cells the same voltage (but doesn't charge them).

Which charger are you using? Balance oftentimes doesn't mean balance charge, and just makes all the cells the same voltage (but doesn't charge them).
Using traxxas id chargers. I've got a couple of em. I took the chips out of extra connectors and built adapters to charge various other batteries with them. I had a really good charger but it was a loaner from a buddy for a couple years and he eventually needed it back lol.
I need to find a new charger that doesn't break the bank. Got 4 kids so... lol

Using traxxas id chargers. I've got a couple of em. I took the chips out of extra connectors and built adapters to charge various other batteries with them. I had a really good charger but it was a loaner from a buddy for a couple years and he eventually needed it back lol.
I need to find a new charger that doesn't break the bank. Got 4 kids so... lol

Ok, I’m not that familiar with Traxxas chargers, but I know at least some of them have a hidden port to charge batteries if you’re not using the ID thing. Just make sure it’s actually balance charging (and not just charging)!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back