Big Rock Big Rock Shock oil

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm going to have to start experimenting i think. My BR isn't stock and has many upgrades making it heavier (m2c motor mount, Outcast 4s chassis brace) plus i've also changed the tires to badland MX 28's and added the proline shocks. I've also glued the hell out of the body so there is a lot more weight come to think of it.

I'm using 45k shock oil and can see that the body is sitting too low, might need to stiffen the suspension by going something closer to 75 - 95k.

haven't jumped it properly yet as todays test was purely about checking i got the slipper clutch tuned correctly, which it is i think, doesn't wheelie on command but does it if you gun the throttle - that's how i like my cars to perform.

Hello

Your BR is close to the setup of mine and I am not a wheelie person as well…not a send it person either. I have the Typhon shocks and MX 28 tires, M2C mount, 4S slipper and host of others so I am modified as well.

The Typhon springs are soft so some of us went with the Team Assoicate yellow springs. This put it in range of the stock. So look into your springs this is a good call out. I live in south we can go cold to hot so u\p/down. I run 60wt shock all in all 4. Works for me the rig rebounds well. It sits correctly with a ever so slight rack to the front but an even stance. Get the right springs and play with your shock collar adjustments to get the ride height you want.

Good read on tuning. This is for racing specifically but its probably a good general rule of thumb.

https://forums.traxxas.com/discussion/9082985/how-to-tune-your-slash-4x4-for-racing-on-the-track
Great, cheers for the info. Nice bit of bed time reading
Hello

Your BR is close to the setup of mine and I am not a wheelie person as well…not a send it person either. I have the Typhon shocks and MX 28 tires, M2C mount, 4S slipper and host of others so I am modified as well.

The Typhon springs are soft so some of us went with the Team Assoicate yellow springs. This put it in range of the stock. So look into your springs this is a good call out. I live in south we can go cold to hot so u\p/down. I run 60wt shock all in all 4. Works for me the rig rebounds well. It sits correctly with a ever so slight rack to the front but an even stance. Get the right springs and play with your shock collar adjustments to get the ride height you want.
Yeah I’m a bit of a noob when it comes to shocks, built a few cars, know how to tear down stuff but never really fine tuned the shocks as I’ve always just kept things in this area stock. But you’re 100% right, should defo look at shock collar adjustments before messing around too much with oil weights.

If you bash the hell out of it and launch it, I recommend higher weight oils. Reduced my chassis slap and overall breakage it seems. I bash and launch the heck out of mine at the local bmx park. My biggest recommendation is to use the same brand of shock oils consistently so you can more accurately tune. The manufacturers will have differences between them even though both are labeled 50wt.

Hey guys, there are definitely a few of these threads on this forum, but I will add to this one as it seems to be the thread that searches find first....

We have a Big Rock and a Typhon (3S BLX) and are looking to tune the Big Rock at the moment. I think that my goal is to be able to drop the truck (waist high?) and have the suspension be capable of eating it and preventing the chassis from slapping. This is a general purpose basher, and we will send it off of jumps but are not doing the stuff in the vidoes where they shoot through the air like a flying acrobatic squirrel. Also, my younger son is now dead set on running it in the novice class at a local 1/10 scale clay track. (We did the 17mm hex conversion and are mounting up some 1/8 scale clay buggy tires. We also understand this will never be a true tack race truck and are not trying for that).

At the local hobby store, we were given Losi 60 wt (810 cst) for the Big Rock and Losi 50 wt (710 cst) for the Typhon. Reading this thread, and others, it seems maybe a bit too heavy?? Wondering if anyone has more recent thoughts on this or has done something similar.

As the follow-up question, what about the springs? In the static case, the springs themselves set the ride-height. In the dynamic case, the springs are used to counteract the damping from the oil to provide the rebound. If I go much thicker in oil weight, I am thinking there is a good possibility I will need some stiffer springs, not to absorb the impact (thats what the oil is for) but to make sure the rebound is fast enough. I had a very hard time finding springs I could use for the BLX 3s shocks. Any ideas for these? Also, please let me know if I am not thinking about this correctly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back