Big Rock Big Rock Steering issue / Possible ESC?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CircuitDragon

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have done a lot of Google searches, and even YouTube videos. Some people have reported nearly the same issue, but either the problem was the servo, or they never mentioned a fix. Here is my issue. I noticed the steering suddenly was sluggish, and at times unresponsive. By this I mean I could be driving along and steer to the right, and then try to steer back to the left. Only then the left steering did not work. I could steer quickly to the right a few times, and then try the left again. Occasionally this would get the steering to work again. Sounds like a servo right? Changed that, and nope. Problem still exists. Buddy of mine suggested swapping the throttle and steering channels. This changes the controls as well, so at least it also rules out controller and receiver problems. Doing this and the steering was flawless, and the throttle acts up exactly as the steering did. So, seems to me the receiver is working fine, and with a brand new servo that isn't the problem. I want to know if anyone else has seen this, and can verify that changing the ESC does in fact fix this problem?

Did you set your end points properly after installing the new servo? New servo horn installed with car/TX on and in neutral position?

This sounds like a bad TX or RX, do you have another radio/receiver you could try?

Check your steering knuckles! I broke one and was unaware of it, but I could steer right easily (right knuckle was broken) but not back to the left very well. I had a noticable toe and camber issue as well. Wasn't till I asked on here that I found out what was broke.

This sounds like a bad TX or RX, do you have another radio/receiver you could try?
Yeah could be a bad potentiometer behind the steering wheel as he stated the throttle acted up when he swapped the channels on the receiver.

I've had this for nearly 2 years, so it's heavily used. There is nothing obstructing the parts to allow it to turn left or right. My descriptions are terrible, so bear with me on that aspect. It can turn to the left no problem, but after doing so, it may "refuse" to turn right. A few twists on the controller to turn left again, and then an attempt to turn right and it may then go ahead and actually turn right. But then the opposite can happen. A few turns to the right, and it will "refuse" to then turn left. It has been progressing to get worse, where now it is impossible to drive it. I have a few older RedCats I could try a controller from to make sure it's not that, but again, I swapped the channels on the receiver. So the steering servo was placed where the throttle goes, and throttle in the steering slot. This made is the steering wheel on the controller acted as the throttle and throttle became steering. With this, the steering on the vehicle is flawless. The throttle on the other hand acted up just like the steering. Some times the forward works, other times not. Or reverse would refuse and only forward would work. I am not an expert to still say the controller isn't causing this, but just seems unlikely to me. But both functions have been placed at the mercy of the steering wheel on the controller, so it could be I guess.

I've had this for nearly 2 years, so it's heavily used. There is nothing obstructing the parts to allow it to turn left or right. My descriptions are terrible, so bear with me on that aspect. It can turn to the left no problem, but after doing so, it may "refuse" to turn right. A few twists on the controller to turn left again, and then an attempt to turn right and it may then go ahead and actually turn right. But then the opposite can happen. A few turns to the right, and it will "refuse" to then turn left. It has been progressing to get worse, where now it is impossible to drive it. I have a few older RedCats I could try a controller from to make sure it's not that, but again, I swapped the channels on the receiver. So the steering servo was placed where the throttle goes, and throttle in the steering slot. This made is the steering wheel on the controller acted as the throttle and throttle became steering. With this, the steering on the vehicle is flawless. The throttle on the other hand acted up just like the steering. Some times the forward works, other times not. Or reverse would refuse and only forward would work. I am not an expert to still say the controller isn't causing this, but just seems unlikely to me. But both functions have been placed at the mercy of the steering wheel on the controller, so it could be I guess.
From both of your descriptions, it seems like the culprit is your transmitter/reciever. You said you have a Redcat. Take both the transmitter and reciever out of the Redcat and install them both in your Big Rock and see if the problem persists. Don't forget to calibrate the throttle and set the steering endpoints on the Redcat reciever/ transmitter after installing them in the Big Rock and then do your tests.

maybe try rebinding? I had similar issues with mine but it was the servo which finally died, replaced it and its back to normal. everything I read talked about rebinding so could be work a shot?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back