Big rock thermal at 125f ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The bashist

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Granite
  3. Talion
  4. BigRock 4x4
At first I thought I've got a bad wire on a battery or maybe the motor. Look everything over and still nothing. I run a venom 35c 3300mah 3s on my 3s rigs as a tester. Shouldn't be any thermal issues I wouldn't think even at max punch and all stock oob configuration ( set aside the punch settings) after about oh say 10min the truck just stops, still have steering, but no throttle forward or back. Checked to see if maybe my reciever box had some moisture in it, Hope. I have a 17t pinion and mx28's ready to install, but umm well, you see where I'm going with that train of thought. Any ideas?

At first I thought I've got a bad wire on a battery or maybe the motor. Look everything over and still nothing. I run a venom 35c 3300mah 3s on my 3s rigs as a tester. Shouldn't be any thermal issues I wouldn't think even at max punch and all stock oob configuration ( set aside the punch settings) after about oh say 10min the truck just stops, still have steering, but no throttle forward or back. Checked to see if maybe my reciever box had some moisture in it, Hope. I have a 17t pinion and mx28's ready to install, but umm well, you see where I'm going with that train of thought. Any ideas?

Did you check all the bearings?

Might have a ? piece of information out.. When it shuts itself off or stops moving, I turn the power off and then back on and we are good to keep bashing.

It you have a seized bearing in one of the diffs or the spur assembly, it could be adding stress to the motor. Just a thought.
True, but the whole, turn off and on then its good seems like electronic. Not sure bearing would cool off and stay cooled off with just a few seconds between running and running again. Thing is, its stays running until LVC after that. ESC maybe? Idk

Might have a ? piece of information out.. When it shuts itself off or stops moving, I turn the power off and then back on and we are good to keep bashing.

That isn't thermal then.

Looks like this now lolz. Truck stop bash in West Virginia.

Attachments

• 0105191559.jpg
    0105191559.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 27
My buddy got a BRCC for his kiddo for X-Mas. We were out running together today and it hit thermal shutdown several times. Cycling power will override the shutdown for a few minutes but it wont be long until it strikes again. It sounded like it was struggling down low, sort of cogging, so I thought maybe going down on the pinion might help. Once apart I lost my mind when I saw the terrible motor mount design (can't adjust mesh). The bearings on either side of the center diff seemed sub standard and weren't super smooth, but they weren't seized either. The slipper adjustment seemed way off to me as well. After cleaning the bearings, and adjusting the slipper, there seemed to be less resistance along the drive train. Were gonna run again and see whats what, but I suspect mesh and bearings were the problem.

My buddy got a BRCC for his kiddo for X-Mas. We were out running together today and it hit thermal shutdown several times. Cycling power will override the shutdown for a few minutes but it wont be long until it strikes again. It sounded like it was struggling down low, sort of cogging, so I thought maybe going down on the pinion might help. Once apart I lost my mind when I saw the terrible motor mount design (can't adjust mesh). The bearings on either side of the center diff seemed sub standard and weren't super smooth, but they weren't seized either. The slipper adjustment seemed way off to me as well. After cleaning the bearings, and adjusting the slipper, there seemed to be less resistance along the drive train. Were gonna run again and see whats what, but I suspect mesh and bearings were the problem.

Let me know for sure! I like the truck,, just don't get to spend much time bashing it.

Looks like I'm going to purchase a new motor mount. Any part numbers flying around for that? I think rich duperbash poster a vid on changing his 3s Typhon mm, wondering if its the same mm for the big rock too.

Looks like I'm going to purchase a new motor mount. Any part numbers flying around for that? I think rich duperbash poster a vid on changing his 3s Typhon mm, wondering if its the same mm for the big rock too.

Hot Racing sells one and it fits all the 3s BLX 1/10 scale vehicles.

I am a little confused about lvc and thermal on the blx100 esc, and thought u guys in this thread could help. Is there any warning for LVC cutoff or does it just stop? On my last 2 runs it just cutoff without warning right in the middle of a jump and landed bad on its lid. Both times I tested my packs and they were at like 3.4 per cell so I'm pretty sure its LVC. Also what does it do when it goes into thermal, what lights or beeps do u hear? I guess I'm used to traxxas esc's going to 50% when at LVC.

I am a little confused about lvc and thermal on the blx100 esc, and thought u guys in this thread could help. Is there any warning for LVC cutoff or does it just stop? On my last 2 runs it just cutoff without warning right in the middle of a jump and landed bad on its lid. Both times I tested my packs and they were at like 3.4 per cell so I'm pretty sure its LVC. Also what does it do when it goes into thermal, what lights or beeps do u hear? I guess I'm used to traxxas esc's going to 50% when at LVC.

I haven't drive BRCC enough to know its behavior but I usually notice the voltage sag in most my trucks before LVC. If you think it might be thermal you have 2 options to confirm: 1) get a heat gun, 2) feel the motor and esc. 2nd method isnt super scientific but as a rule of thumb you should be able to touch it for a few seconds without it burning you. It doesn't sound like thermal is your problem though, sounds like LVC.

I haven't drive BRCC enough to know its behavior but I usually notice the voltage sag in most my trucks before LVC. If you think it might be thermal you have 2 options to confirm: 1) get a heat gun, 2) feel the motor and esc. 2nd method isnt super scientific but as a rule of thumb you should be able to touch it for a few seconds without it burning you. It doesn't sound like thermal is your problem though, sounds like LVC.

Check your bearings. I know it sucks but my big rock does the same thing. Haven't gotten to it yet. I've got 2 Kraton, 1 outcast, 1 Talion, 1 Typhon, and a big rock to service this Thursday... Everything gets new bearings, and a few other adjustments, new diff shims and fluids, shocks rebuilt on all new oils, aluminium shock caps on the 6s typhon, 3.8 badlands on the talion, ect .. Got alot to do before Friday/Saturday, plan on a full test and tune day and hopefully a bash day this weekend.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back