Big rock thermal at 125f ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My new big rock is doing the same thing. Very coggy and doesn’t wanna get going and anytime it gets loaded down/stuck it shuts down, off-on and it’s working again. Default settings, stock gearing, does it on both 2s or 3s.

Edit: and it also just hits the brakes and stops right there when it hits lvc. And of course it’s always away from me out in the street.. lol

Last edited:
Hi all, new guy here!

Has anyone managed to find out why the big rock gets so hot?
At the end of a 5amp lipo I can only touch the motor for a couple of seconds. This is mainly from driving on tarmac (though at high speed). This is even with an outside temp just above freezing.
Ive replaced all the bearings with rubber sealed ones, tried adjusting the slipper clutch and took a needle file to the motor mount to adjust the gear mesh.
It rolls nicely so I can only think it's the stock setup.
For now I'm going to add a fan to the heatsink.
Any help appreciated!

Hi all, new guy here!

Has anyone managed to find out why the big rock gets so hot?
At the end of a 5amp lipo I can only touch the motor for a couple of seconds. This is mainly from driving on tarmac (though at high speed). This is even with an outside temp just above freezing.
Ive replaced all the bearings with rubber sealed ones, tried adjusting the slipper clutch and took a needle file to the motor mount to adjust the gear mesh.
It rolls nicely so I can only think it's the stock setup.
For now I'm going to add a fan to the heatsink.
Any help appreciated!
The "touch" method is not your best bet. You need to get a decent infrared thermometer to check temps. A motor can is hot after a good, hard run, but touching it won't tell you if it's too hot. You need to measure the temps, and research what's considered acceptable.

I added a fan to the granite 3s for the same reason, clearing 170 deg pretty easily.

Forgot to say I have checked with a infrared thermometer and it's up to around 160-170 f. I did try a fan with a much smaller heatsink so I'm going to try the same fan in the stock heatsink.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back