Big rock to granite wheels and tyres

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish7605

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Are the arrma granite tyres and wheels a direct swap for the big rock? What is the main difference and why would they be better than the big rock wheels and tyres?

Are the arrma granite tyres and wheels a direct swap for the big rock? What is the main difference and why would they be better than the big rock wheels and tyres?
Hello...

If you are referring to the newer Big Rock with the narrow wheels but newer wider stance, I found the Granite wheels just add more to that wider stance of the Big Rock. Since then, I have added the Bandland MX tires on the Big Rock.

The wider Granite tires keep the Big Rock planted more, less prone to traction roll and flip in a power slide or turn, and more traction surface when bashing and the tire weight difference between the two is small so no heat issue on the electronics.

It's a win/win for me, Big Rock with the Granite tires (y)

1663538760419.png

Hello...

If you are referring to the newer Big Rock with the narrow wheels but newer wider stance, I found the Granite wheels just add more to that wider stance of the Big Rock. Since then, I have added the Bandland MX tires on the Big Rock.

The wider Granite tires keep the Big Rock planted more, less prone to traction roll and flip in a power slide or turn, and more traction surface when bashing and the tire weight difference between the two is small so no heat issue on the electronics.

It's a win/win for me, Big Rock with the Granite tires (y)

View attachment 244328
I don't think it's newer model, it's about 18 months old? So are the granite wheels and tyres a direct replacement? No messing about with spaces or hex changes etc? If possible, could you post a link to the ones needed? Cheers

I don't think it's newer model, it's about 18 months old? So are the granite wheels and tyres a direct replacement? No messing about with spaces or hex changes etc? If possible, could you post a link to the ones needed? Cheers
Yes. The Granite and Big Rock are direct fit for all models with 14mm hex, so an easy swap, no parts needed.

Ah - do you know of any direct belted replacements
I could be wrong, and others can correct me. In the Arrma 3S line for the 14mm hex, I am unaware of a belted tire they sold or made for these rigs. Makes sense due to the cost and gear damage.

You would be looking at a Proline or Duratrax after-market tire if you really want to be belted. Again, warning on those 3S rigs it adds tire weight that does not play well with your gears and begin to strip them...why I went back to non-belted tires on the 3S rig. Very happy with the 2.8" Proline Badlands and the 2.8" Proline Trenchers for my Big Rock/Granite. Yes, they have some ballooning not so bad being vented, but the cost of killing my spur/input gears and the money to upgrade to metal diff, gears, etc, is just a rabbit hole vs. just staying with non-belted tires. After all this....the little ballooning I have looks so good vs. hell I put myself through.

I went around in a circle just to come back to being back close to stock.... FYI (y)

OP, is there any particular reason you are looking for belted tires?

The granite tires balloon a little at higher speeds, but unless all you're doing is high speed passes, then they are the the best bang for you buck tire for the granite or big rock, IMO. If you are just doing high speed passes, you may want to consider a street oriented tire. Most of the belted off-road duratrax tires i see for the 3s trucks have poor reviews on amazon. And proline tires have good reviews, but are too much $$$ for me.

I could be wrong, and others can correct me. In the Arrma 3S line for the 14mm hex, I am unaware of a belted tire they sold or made for these rigs. Makes sense due to the cost and gear damage.

You would be looking at a Proline or Duratrax after-market tire if you really want to be belted. Again, warning on those 3S rigs it adds tire weight that does not play well with your gears and begin to strip them...why I went back to non-belted tires on the 3S rig. Very happy with the 2.8" Proline Badlands and the 2.8" Proline Trenchers for my Big Rock/Granite. Yes, they have some ballooning not so bad being vented, but the cost of killing my spur/input gears and the money to upgrade to metal diff, gears, etc, is just a rabbit hole vs. just staying with non-belted tires. After all this....the little ballooning I have looks so good vs. hell I put myself through.

I went around in a circle just to come back to being back close to stock.... FYI (y)
Oh OK - didn't
Oh OK - didn't
Sorry clicked wrong button, I didn't even think of that. So would the granite wheels and tires be the best option you think?

Oh OK - didn't

Sorry clicked wrong button, I didn't even think of that. So would the granite wheels and tires be the best option you think?
Yes the Granite would be the best. Vent the outside at least 2 holes at min and tape the inside holes.

OK - that sounds straight forward -- but not got a clue what it means lol - sorry
Vent the tire like this:
I used a drill at full speed and a 1/8 inch bit. Worked okay, i just had to go slower so it would actually cut the hole instead of "punch through".

Cover the inside of the tires like this (skip to 1:25):

Vortex wheels are direct fit and though not belted, have not ballooned . Nice square look on BR

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back