Big Rock Big Rock V3 BLX: Servo issues, help replacing, warranty questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timweston1

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I think my stock servo is kaputt. When the car is off I can turn the front wheels through the full range of motion without issue. I can turn the car on (but leave the transmitter off) and same thing: full motion / no issues. But as soon as the transmitter binds to the receiver, the steering "locks" and I basically cannot turn the wheels by hand. Steering with the transmitter sort of works, but not smoothly or fully. So, my assumption based on other threads is that I need to replace my stock servo. Sound right? [edit to add: I tried doing a factory reset of the ESC and that did not change anything].

I have ordered a 25kg DS3225 180* servo from Amazon as a replacement. The servo comes with a 25t arm. I also ordered an Arrma 25T servo saver from Amazon (part AR340151). Do I need anything else to complete my repair?

Last question relates to warranty: does Arrma/Horizon care if I have a lot of warranty requests? I got my Big Rock motor replaced through warranty just a few weeks ago, and last week I requested a new motor via warranty for my Axial SCX24. When I sent a message about my Axial motor replacement, the representative responded noting that I had also recently warrantied my Big Rock motor. I don't want to abuse their system, and I'd rather use the warranty to replace expensive parts as opposed to a servo that I can buy for $15... but, the question remains: should I contact Horizon Hobby to request a replacement servo via warranty or just forget about it? I've already paid for the better 25kg replacement, but I'm wondering if a warranty is warranted so that I can have a spare on-hand.

I've owned my Big Rock for ~6 months, FWIW.

They should warranty it no question. I was in the exact same boat. Got the Amazon servo and 25T saver. I still warrantied the servo. My thought was if i was out and some kid their parents had their servo go out I'd just give it to them.

Last edited:
Common issue, they will just replace it
6 months on stock servo is pretty good...

I think my stock servo is kaputt. When the car is off I can turn the front wheels through the full range of motion without issue. I can turn the car on (but leave the transmitter off) and same thing: full motion / no issues. But as soon as the transmitter binds to the receiver, the steering "locks" and I basically cannot turn the wheels by hand. Steering with the transmitter sort of works, but not smoothly or fully. So, my assumption based on other threads is that I need to replace my stock servo. Sound right? [edit to add: I tried doing a factory reset of the ESC and that did not change anything].

I have ordered a 25kg DS3225 180* servo from Amazon as a replacement. The servo comes with a 25t arm. I also ordered an Arrma 25T servo saver from Amazon (part AR340151). Do I need anything else to complete my repair?

Last question relates to warranty: does Arrma/Horizon care if I have a lot of warranty requests? I got my Big Rock motor replaced through warranty just a few weeks ago, and last week I requested a new motor via warranty for my Axial SCX24. When I sent a message about my Axial motor replacement, the representative responded noting that I had also recently warrantied my Big Rock motor. I don't want to abuse their system, and I'd rather use the warranty to replace expensive parts as opposed to a servo that I can buy for $15... but, the question remains: should I contact Horizon Hobby to request a replacement servo via warranty or just forget about it? I've already paid for the better 25kg replacement, but I'm wondering if a warranty is warranted so that I can have a spare on-hand.

I've owned my Big Rock for ~6 months, FWIW.

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/standard-process-for-replacing-a-servo.23266/

Good read

Just a side note, never turn your truck on first, or without the transmitter being on. ALWAYS, transmitter on first then truck on second. And, ALWAYS, truck off first and transmitter off second.

I didnt even bother asking for a like-for-like warranty replacment when it went on the Vorteks on something like Day Two (even tho I had diligently set the end points)!. Just stuck in a 3235 I had in stock and got back to it. Packaging it up and paying the postage wasnt worth the hassle for a replacement, rubbish quality, servo. 4 Packs of 3235s are very cheap on Bangood and it came within 7 days. That said, in the same position again, Id get a JX servo instead. Im using an Etronix in my Big Rock and its notably faster and stronger than the 3235 which has better "on paper" specs.

I believe in replacing RC parts known to have a high failure rate before they actually fail, and the Arrma steering servo falls into this category. I replaced the stock servo in my Typhon 3s, even though the Typhon had only been run once or twice and the servo had yet to fail.

I believe in replacing RC parts known to have a high failure rate before they actually fail, and the Arrma steering servo falls into this category. I replaced the stock servo in my Typhon 3s, even though the Typhon had only been run once or twice and the servo had yet to fail.
I did the same thing with both my Typhon and Big Rock. Now I have 2 spare stock servos.

I'm in the boat of if it's not broke. Except that servo. His went out and at the time i didn't know the high failure rate. Otherwise I would have replaced it. 5 minutes into a bash it went out.

I did the same thing with both my Typhon and Big Rock. Now I have 2 spare stock servos.
The spares are probably good for lighter 1/10 scale on road stuff. I tried them in my Crawlers and they failed there also.They seem to work ok for the Fel/Infr/Lim. I just hate them though. Slowish. etc.
I might have a fluke though with one stocker in the Infr. That rig has been through hell. Major wrecked many times. (my 11yo). The stocker servo still works to this day. Stock AVC and all. Go figure. I just don't get it.

The spares are probably good for lighter 1/10 scale on road stuff. I tried them in my Crawlers and they failed there also.They seem to work ok for the Fel/Infr/Lim. I just hate them though. Slowish. etc.
I might have a fluke though with one stocker in the Infr. That rig has been through hell. Major wrecked many times. (my 11yo). The stocker servo still works to this day. Stock AVC and all. Go figure. I just don't get it.
I guess there are exceptions with everything. Maybe you got a good servo out of all the bad ones.

Well out of the (6) stockers I had, just one left. That's a high failure rate. (n) Others were junk early on. Like I said even with my Crawlers. (5) DS3235's still going.
With the Infr., a fluke for sure. I hope Im not jinxing myself.:LOL:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back