Big Rock V3 shocks and bottoming out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeysly

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Hey everyone! I haven't touched an RC car in almost 30 years and just recently picked up a Big Rock. Bashing and launching is what I hope to be doing most, but I noticed that out of the box the BRCC bottoms out from even 8 inches off of the ground. For bashing what are the best shocks to run these days as well as oil weight?

Have you run the cheap eBay or Amazon shocks?
How long did they last you?
Would you have just bought Typhon 6s shocks instead?

I did see the Arrma shock upgrade sticky thread, but with so many choices I'm having trouble choosing the right shock for my application.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone!

It sounds like thicker shock oil is what you need.

The stock shocks perform just fine - buying better shocks won’t necessarily change the behavior. They just aren’t super durable (the shafts can bend).

Not cheap, but very good product:

Pro-line Racing 1/10 Powerstroke Shocks​

They can be tuned with different spring sets, each shock has a upper and lower spring. Can purchase spring sets separate and tune by mixing upper and lower springs to get want you want in performance. Quality is not cheap, Prolines are worth it. Have updated most of our 3s line of vehicles. Takes little time but that is part of the fun to tune your unit to your satisfaction. Hate if when one lands and launches skyward so hard it flips etc. These shocks can stop that with the correct oil and spring combination.

I agree with the post above, my Big Rock shocks are over a year old and no issue except occasional shock bottom being pulled out. I updated shock fluid to 40 wt improving "bottoming out" and made limiting straps to minimize downward movement,Thus no more pullout. You also can add spacers to the shocks as well to stiffen them up a bit. These shock are fine don't waste your $. imho

It sounds like thicker shock oil is what you need.

The stock shocks perform just fine - buying better shocks won’t necessarily change the behavior. They just aren’t super durable (the shafts can bend).
Ok thank you....someone posted that the stock oil weight is 500cst or approximately 40wt...is this true? If so should I get 50wt oil if I am doing big jumps? Thanks again for your help
I agree with the post above, my Big Rock shocks are over a year old and no issue except occasional shock bottom being pulled out. I updated shock fluid to 40 wt improving "bottoming out" and made limiting straps to minimize downward movement,Thus no more pullout. You also can add spacers to the shocks as well to stiffen them up a bit. These shock are fine don't waste your $. imho
I read that stock oil weight in the BRCC is approximately 40wt...I'm not sure how true that was. When you bought 40wt and refilled yourself you saw a difference? What kind of oil? Where abouts might I be able to source said spacers? I'm a newbie so I appreciate all of your help. I've found the forum to be a great resource.....you guys are so well informed and give great advice. Thanks for that.

Ok thank you....someone posted that the stock oil weight is 500cst or approximately 40wt...is this true? If so should I get 50wt oil if I am doing big jumps? Thanks again for your help

I read that stock oil weight in the BRCC is approximately 40wt...I'm not sure how true that was. When you bought 40wt and refilled yourself you saw a difference? What kind of oil? Where abouts might I be able to source said spacers? I'm a newbie so I appreciate all of your help. I've found the forum to be a great resource.....you guys are so well informed and give great advice. Thanks for that.
I stand corrected I went home a looked at the bottle and it is 50wt. Lots of how to videos available for the re-build

I stand corrected I went home a looked at the bottle and it is 50wt. Lots of how to videos available for the re-build
So I'll need to rebuild the shocks in order to run 50wt or can I just dump the stock oil, fill with 50wt and bleed?

Hey everyone! I haven't touched an RC car in almost 30 years and just recently picked up a Big Rock. Bashing and launching is what I hope to be doing most, but I noticed that out of the box the BRCC bottoms out from even 8 inches off of the ground. For bashing what are the best shocks to run these days as well as oil weight?

Have you run the cheap eBay or Amazon shocks?
How long did they last you?
Would you have just bought Typhon 6s shocks instead?

I did see the Arrma shock upgrade sticky thread, but with so many choices I'm having trouble choosing the right shock for my application.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks everyone!
For me there is only one viable option for upgrading shocks on 3S Arrma Bashers. 6s shocks. 6s Kraton front shocks for the rear and 6s Mojave front shocks for the front. I have five 3s Arrmas and the first thing I’ve done with each one is put on 6S shocks. If you like to jump they are indispensable. for general ground bashing the performance is excellent.

Axiel bushings are also needed for the top and can get lighter weight Springs through team associated… but I’ve found the stock springs to be fine for the most part.

For me there is only one viable option for upgrading shocks on 3S Arrma Bashers. 6s shocks. 6s Kraton front shocks for the rear and 6s Mojave front shocks for the front. I have five 3s Arrmas and the first thing I’ve done with each one is put on 6S shocks. If you like to jump they are indispensable. for general ground bashing the performance is excellent.

Axiel bushings are also needed for the top and can get lighter weight Springs through team associated… but I’ve found the stock springs to be fine for the most part.
Thanks for the info...this is the route I will be taking for sure. Sold!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back