Big Rock Big Rock vs Axial Yeti XL

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:)Have fun !
BTW, their customer service is as good as ARRMA if not better.
IMHO
Whaaaaaaat? Tower coupon codes won't work on the Kit????

That $75 is almost a deal breaker... Argh...

Argh! I'm surprisingly upset... Lol. I've been on such a spending spree that I thought "ok..... Just another $425...."

But noooo now it's $500!

Whaaaaaaat? Tower coupon codes won't work on the Kit????

That $75 is almost a deal breaker... Argh...

Argh! I'm surprisingly upset... Lol. I've been on such a spending spree that I thought "ok..... Just another $425...."

But noooo now it's $500!

Yep, that's a chunk of change! My LHS went out of business, got my YXL kit for $350.
I know I shouldn't talk Axial in an ARRMA forum, but today was a Nero day, ran that bad boy for over an hour and had a ton of fun! Got home cleaned it up and then worked on my YXL kit.

IMG_0621.JPG

Those are Axial BF Goodrich Krawlers. I believe they are stock on the Yeti XL - I could be wrong. I taped em up and they have been ok on 6S / takin it ez of course cause i don't want to blow em... Anyway - they are great ion the snow. I don't really crawl... Love to jump and race in parking lots . I truly love that Yeti XL - especially how BIG it is. Gonna hold off - maybe the Cen Reeper might be a true MT worth waiting for...Was also thinking - another 200$ - thats an 8S Xmaxx..

Last edited:
I think I "may" have talked myself off the ledge and will (for now at least) not buy a Yeti XL.

If not for the $75 swing, it would alert been ordered! Haha. I mean - I was there and about to hit "submit order" and then noticed it didn't accept the coupon code at the very last screen. Lol

I
Is the Big Rock better than the Traxxas Summit when it comes to these environments? I really love the Yeti XL - but I've been doing some research and it seems like I would have to spend a lot more money to make it tougher like the kit version. They need to bring out a RTR with the improvements of on the kit. I like the Arrma line-up because of the promise of durability. The Big Rock seems to have benefited from the original Nero and has bee upgraded. I think I'd like to eventually get both the Big Rock and the Yeti XL ver 2 when it comes out.

So Big Rock vs. Traxxas Summit? Anyone owns both or know about both?

I
I have a Kraton and I'm now interested in a rock racer, rock climber, forest navigator that can still bash a bit and still handle on gravel.

How does the Big Rock handles these situations? I started looking for a 1/5 electric dessert buggy but didn't see anything I can afford. (Don't want to spend much more than the cost of these 2 mentioned) The Axial is more like a 1/6 buggy - can the Big Rock match or exceed the Axial and is there any thing out there that is better? I wish Arrma made an Axial Yeti XL equivalent.
Have both, they are 2 totally different cars. For slow crawling/climbing the Summit kills hands down. But if it is an area that needs a more momentum than finesse the Big Rock definitely shines. I like the BR lockers better and have busted 3 front differential in the Summit. Have upgraded it to aluminum cup and had no issue so far. As far as the BR drive shaft pins are a weak link which I switched over to Traxxas pins and the stock pinion wiped a couple teeth. Seems others have had the same issue with pinions. I like them both but they really are 2 different cars.

That's correct. Nero/BR are monster trucks and Yeti XL is classified as monster buggy. It's more of a rock racer but does very well crawling. A 2 speed transmission has been developed for the Xl which apparently really improves crawling ability. They are like children.....different but you can't love one more than the other
hey
Enjoy it Stanley! I wish some would post a video of the Big Rock going up against the Yeti XL!

Hey bro I have both the Yeti XL and the Nero Big Rock, I will make an effort to post a video and compare both.

Enjoy it Stanley! I wish some would post a video of the Big Rock going up against the Yeti XL!

hey

Hey bro I have both the Yeti XL and the Nero Big Rock, I will make an effort to post a video and compare both.
Thanks man! I'd really appreciate that! How do they compare when it comes to durability?

Thanks Mr. Bark

Ill toss my experience out there. Hope it can help

Ive had my YetiXL(kit) for over a year now. I did my reading as well and didnt want to break more than needed so I kept it on 4s. Most issues(if not all) came from bad jumping. Metal pieces are not cheap and the front diff is a nightmare of a fix. That being said, I never had any issues doing what Truevine asks for in the initial post.
rock racer, rock climber, forest navigator that can still bash a bit and still handle on gravel.

My son drives the 1/10 Yeti and we love the fact we can go to a close by slate mine and bash, race, and crawl. All there versatility does come with a cost. Turning is not a strong suit for either Yeti on any surface with grip.

This left my son and I wanting more speed, easier fixes, and better turning. My gf got me the green Nero for my birthday in December so I got my son the Fazon for Christmas. We have had an awesome time with our Nero's. Running mostly on 6s and driving like we stole them. Small, cheap, easy fixes so far so no complaints in that department. Couldnt be happier with there potential. And I am probably wrong on this, but I believe tossing longer shock shafts on either of our Neros would give them BR ground clearance(minus tire diameter difference).

In my dead honest opinion, the Yeti is best for what your looking for.

Its also an opinion of mine that this is not a hobby for someone who cant work on there car. I feel this must be shared due to the fact I have seen many people at the LHS spending cash (30$hr) for someone else to wrench on there car. If you do not share this opinion then the Yeti will probably not be the best for you. If you can grab a couple quality(MIP) hex drivers and spend a few evenings putting together your car from scratch, I promise it will pay off in the long run.

Apple to oranges I completely agree. But Truevine gave out expectations. Expectation extreamly close to my own when I decided on the Yeti. Having neither vehicle but still knowing what I do now, I would still grab the Yeti in your situation.

Nicely written. Thanks for taking the time to write. You've got some good bonding experience and memories with your son - priceless! The fruit on top the cake is that you've got a supportive girlfriend :)

The biggest issue probably is that the Big Rock is a Sensorless setup so it's lower end is quite lacking if you are looking for a bit of control at slower speeds. Now IF you where to replace the power system with a decent Sensored brushless setup that would completely change the nature of the beast altogether as you would have quite a bit more control at the lower end of things and still be able to go fast when you wanted to depending on what size motor you got. So really depends on what your willing to do to get it where you want it.

The Big Rock has a taller stance than the other Nero's as well so it performs a tad bit better than the others in offroad type situations. The Big Rock was "Designed" for offroading, the Fazon more so for on the road type driving and the OG Nero was designed for a little of everything as far as my understanding of the three different models go.

Have to agree with MadBlaster on needing MiP Wrenches. Have 3 other sets of Hex Drivers I had bought initially and all 3 of them have rounded their heads and caused me to strip out the heads of the screws, once I got the MiP Hex Wrenches day and night difference. Also agree with the fact that unless you have the time to actually work on these machines you will see failure after failure, really have to take the time to do proper maintenance when you own these beasts. Personally I have the Big Rock, Summit, Senton 6S BLX, Slash Ultimate 4x4, Wraith, SCX10 II and a few other scale/crawler models. I can tell you that out of them all, the two Short Course and the Scale/Crawlers are the easiest models to maintain, not including the Summit or Wraith in that list as they both can be a bit of a pita.

Last edited:
I have a Kraton and I'm now interested in a rock racer, rock climber, forest navigator that can still bash a bit and still handle on gravel.

How does the Big Rock handles these situations? I started looking for a 1/5 electric dessert buggy but didn't see anything I can afford. (Don't want to spend much more than the cost of these 2 mentioned) The Axial is more like a 1/6 buggy - can the Big Rock match or exceed the Axial and is there any thing out there that is better? I wish Arrma made an Axial Yeti XL equivalent.

Losi (super) Rock Rey

Checking out this old tread brings back my curiosity to what the love child of the Nero and YetiXL would look like.

Just how hard would it be to slap a solid back axel on the Nero... The trickier part would be keeping the law down shocks, but it wouldn't jive for me any other way. Idk.. I might have a winter project on my hands.

I just got a Yeti after owing the NERO for a while. Absolutely love both of them. I like the 2-speed transmission on the YETI, but also like to bra able to lock any diff on the NERO

Just for curiosity, what about Losi super rock Rey? Is similar to xl right?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back