Big tire balancer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dure16

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Talion
  6. Typhon 6s
  7. Typhon TLR
I made a small balancer for 17mm road tires but it's pretty limited. It can only fit 110mm tires and no other hex sizes.

I just saw this new one on the HH site. It can handle up to 220mm tire diameter and 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 24mm hexes.

Does anyone know of other options or have something similar?

I made a small balancer for 17mm road tires but it's pretty limited. It can only fit 110mm tires and no other hex sizes.

I just saw this new one on the HH site. It can handle up to 220mm tire diameter and 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 24mm hexes.

Does anyone know of other options or have something similar?
Atta boy! (y)

I just take off a hub from the vehicle and hold it. Usually works fine for smaller tires. For larger tires, it might get heavy, so i could see fabbing up something like @LibertyMKiii suggested.

You could also disconnect the driveshaft and just leave the hub installed on the vehicle. Then prop the vehicles up so the tires aren't touching the ground.

Literally was just using the Team Associated hand tool with chopped up and glued 1/2 oz tire weights

DF5D7FA3-CEE0-4DB9-940F-A52E6833D6B9.jpeg

This thing finally arrived. Build quality seems great. Fitment, feel, etc.

It comes with 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and 24mm adapters and it can actually fit my 210mm 8S Duratrax tires! They were way out of balance by the way.

However, the balancer doesn't turn easily with lightweight tires. I assume it's just the grease-packed (metal shielded) bearings. No biggie right - I can order some rubber sealed bearings and put lightweight oil in them for less friction.

Then I ran into a problem - this thing uses 6x13x4 bearings. And apparently nothing else uses 6x13x4 bearings. Rubber sealed bearings of this size don't seem to exist anywhere. What a downer.

That said, I think I'll keep the balancer for big/heavy tires and continue using my old homemade one for road tires.

This thing finally arrived. Build quality seems great. Fitment, feel, etc.

It comes with 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, and 24mm adapters and it can actually fit my 210mm 8S Duratrax tires! They were way out of balance by the way.

However, the balancer doesn't turn easily with lightweight tires. I assume it's just the grease-packed (metal shielded) bearings. No biggie right - I can order some rubber sealed bearings and put lightweight oil in them for less friction.

Then I ran into a problem - this thing uses 6x13x4 bearings. And apparently nothing else uses 6x13x4 bearings. Rubber sealed bearings of this size don't seem to exist anywhere. What a downer.

That said, I think I'll keep the balancer for big/heavy tires and continue using my old homemade one for road tires.
Just remove the metal shields and give them 2 or 3 thorough dish soap and rinse cycles to make sure there's nothing in there at all anymore and let air dry. Just leave as is. It's not like you spin them up for balancing so you can just skip the lubricant. They'll provide the least friction that way and since you won't be driving through dirt with your wheel balancer (I hope) there's no need for shields at all.

Just remove the metal shields and give them 2 or 3 thorough dish soap and rinse cycles to make sure there's nothing in there at all anymore and let air dry. Just leave as is. It's not like you spin them up for balancing so you can just skip the lubricant. They'll provide the least friction that way and since you won't be driving through dirt with your wheel balancer (I hope) there's no need for shields at all.
Ah, I didn’t think metal shields were removable. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.

Ah, I didn’t think metal shields were removable. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.
There are two different kinds. There are the press fit that aren't really designed to be removed (unless you're really careful they usually won't go back in because it gets a bit bent during removal) but with a bit of perseverance, they can be extracted. They look like this (notice the dashed line of the lip - that's where you dig in with a really pointy object):
1682975788601.png

And then there are the type that are designed to be removed. There's a large, thin c-clip between the outer race and metal shield that holds it in place. If you look closely, there's a gap where you can get behind the clip with a really pointy object (usually easiest on the left side as the two ends are shaped like this when seen up close:
1682976206054.png
1682976246426.png

Pull the left end forward a little and then gently pull out the clip. Once that's out, the shield, essentially, just falls out.

How do you balance tires that are on a stand?
I have the TA hand held one that lets my hand wiggle when the tire is spun. I then use some chalk to see where the tire moves out to and put balancing material on the inside of the wheel on the opposite side.
It seems, and I could be all wrong here, that being on a stand does not allow the tire to wobble. How do you all do this on a stand?

just for weight balancing , not latteral " trueness" if theres such a word haha . for this style im guessing the heavy side will rotate to the bottom, so you add weight 180* over . very slow rotation and keep adding if you see it settle at the bottom . a very good bike rim will rotate and rest with the valve stem at the lowest point.

With no stems in my tires do not have that much of a weight differential to do that.
Hmmmm?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back