bigger the battery = faster car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this a safe setup?

Your packs may be rated for a higher charge rate, but I would still charge at 5a unless you are in a hurry,

Lithium batteries do best when they stay between 20% and 80% so I rarely charge mine to 4.2. I will occasionally, but I will often charge to 4.17 or 4.15 and I often stop around 3.7 at rest. I tend to store at 3.82, but sometimes 3.9 our higher 3.8x if it lands that way.

I usually charge just a bit under 1C unless I am in a hurry, and I am rarely in a hurry. By treating my batteries gently most of the time I can get away with pushing them hard occasionally without damage.

Your packs may be rated for a higher charge rate, but I would still charge at 5a unless you are in a hurry,

Lithium batteries do best when they stay between 20% and 80% so I rarely charge mine to 4.2. I will occasionally, but I will often charge to 4.17 or 4.15 and I often stop around 3.7 at rest. I tend to store at 3.82, but sometimes 3.9 our higher 3.8x if it lands that way.

I usually charge just a bit under 1C unless I am in a hurry, and I am rarely in a hurry. By treating my batteries gently most of the time I can get away with pushing them hard occasionally without damage.
5.0A?

20210116_211132.jpg

Or 0.5A?

5 amps.

Take the mAh (milliamp hours) rating of your battery and divide by 1,000. 5,000 mAh 1C = 5.0 amps. 6,000 mAh 1C = 6.0 amps. Etc.

I will often charge a 6,000 mAh at 5.5 or 5.8 amps. Probably not needed but a few minutes longer charge doesn’t matter. Your batteries are rated for a higher C rating charge so you can safely charge at full 1C and even 2C if you need to.

I was charging it inside. But now that I know this is really a bomb waiting to go off ..it all might get thrown in the Atlantic Ocean tonight.i just need some one who can speak English to me and help me set up my charger and not make me feel stupid with "raido controlled car terminology"

I was charging it inside. But now that I know this is really a bomb waiting to go off ..it all might get thrown in the Atlantic Ocean tonight.i just need some one who can speak English to me and help me set up my charger and not make me feel stupid with "raido controlled car terminology"
If you want to dive into the RC world, “radio controlled car terminology” is going to save your ass and your house.
Take my advice that I’ve given twice already a do a bit of reading bro. It’s not rocket science. It’s basic math and a few terms and laws........there’s no getting around it. You have know at least some basic stuff.

Most things you need to know can be found in this article. It’s a 5 minute read....

https://www.rcjuice.com/lipo_battery_basics

Last edited:
Go on the internet or Google charging lipo batteries, there is a ton of info out there on charging, discharging, balancing, storing lipos. Educate yourself, you should understand the concept of charging lipos before you do so, smart charger or not.

everyone is telling you to be super cautious because lipo batteries can be very dangerous if not treated properly. But to be honest, treating them properly is super easy and not nearly as intimidating as you think. They are not just going to explode. Everything today has lithium batteries in them. You hold a phone next to your head with lithium packs inside them. your battery is 5000 mah. Balance charge it at 5amps. If you plan on letting your batteries sit for extended periods of time, throw it on your charger and use the storage feature. It will put all your cells at around 3.8v. 3.8v is where the lithium cells are the most stable and safe to let sit for as long as you want.

Lipo batteries are very intimidating when you first get into the hobby, but give it a few weeks and its nothing. Literally the only 2 important thing is that you make sure you storage charge them, and make sure you never run them too low. once the low voltage detection comes on in your truck and it goes to 50% power, stop. bring them to your charging station, and either recharge for another run or storage charge them and let them sit. I don't know a single person who charges their lipo batteries outside. Anyone that does this is just doing it out of an abundance of caution and it is really not needed. When i started in the hobby i would charge them in my kitchen sink, because for some reason i was led to believe they are ticking time bombs. They are only as dangerous as you make them.

Ok it was late last night and I was impatient. I read up on it now im square. Sorry for being an jerk last night everyone

Ok it was late last night and I was impatient. I read up on it now im square. Sorry for being an jerk last night everyone

All good been there myself. Bash safe and enjoy the rig. Good people here for help. 👍🏾

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back