Raider Bigger tires.....motor overheating

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siguz

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Raider
So......
Everything is working on the Raider right now.

I installed larger tires all around and this thing is an absolute beast! Goes through and over almost anything.
Top speed has increased and steering is more predictable with larger front tires. the offset of the front is great than the rear which makes the car look a little funny but man, does it haul.

The issue that I have now is that the motor is overheating.
I have not changed any gearing but I realize that i should at this point..

What size of Pinion Gear would you recommend?
  • Currently 22T from factory
  • I was thinking to go with 18T from Raider XL
What do you think???

Maybe smaller, but you can also calculate the hole gear ratio and match the pinion to the outer diameter of the bigger tires.
Anywhere in the internet I had found an rc-speed calculator but I could´t find the link on this pc.
My main pc is damaged and needs an repair.

Maybe smaller, but you can also calculate the hole gear ratio and match the pinion to the outer diameter of the bigger tires.
Anywhere in the internet I had found an rc-speed calculator but I could´t find the link on this pc.
My main pc is damaged and needs an repair.
This is getting a little tooo technical for me lo.

mmhmm,
Maybe this helps: -> https://arrmaforum.com/threads/gear-ratios.769/
And I try to explain it easier..
If you take you're car with the original wheels, put it on the floor and move it ONE wheel rotation straight forward.
While doing that, count the rotations of the motor.
If you now put you're bigger diameter wheels an do the same, the result will be that the motor rotates more or better does more rotations.
The reason for that is the bigger circumference of the bigger wheels.

Now change the point of view.
One rotation of the bigger wheels gives more movement (distance) than the smaller ones.
But that needs a lot more power which is taken from the motor (which now getting hot or overheat)+
To reduce them just by changing to a smaller pinion gear or change to a other motor which have less U/V (Rpm) than the original.
You had already decided the right way!

Alternatively, get a 20$ temp gun and check your temps. ESC over 160 ish gear down. Really no need for calculations then, as even factors like ambient temperature, wheel weight (not just circumference) will alter these calcs. You can grab pinion 5 packs on eBay for probably $15 or so. Then you can play with different sizes.

Happy running!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back