Typhon Bigger tires?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What adapters did you use for the mx2.8 prolines to fit them on the Typhon please? Cause I have the mx2.8 belted badlands and not sure which adapters to order (stock they come with 12mm hex adapters, the tires I mean)

When I ran Pro-Line MX28 Trencher HP belted tires on my Typhon 3s I used a 15T pinion on a Surpass 3670/2850 motor, and I had no cogging. I've since gone back to lighter buggy tires and a 19T pinion.

Ahh yea that sounds about right. I was trying to use 20-24t and the cogging was horrible. I had to drop down to 18t for it to be decent. I can't even go over 21t on stock tires. I'm using a surpass 4068 2650kv on 4s with spektrum 150a esc. After all the research i've done it always boils down to "drop pinion size" I like my big pinions but 3s line sure doesn't. :LOL:
What adapters did you use for the mx2.8 prolines to fit them on the Typhon please? Cause I have the mx2.8 belted badlands and not sure which adapters to order (stock they come with 12mm hex adapters, the tires I mean)
PRO6336-00

Ahh yea that sounds about right. I was trying to use 20-24t and the cogging was horrible. I had to drop down to 18t for it to be decent. I can't even go over 21t on stock tires. I'm using a surpass 4068 2650kv on 4s with spektrum 150a esc. After all the research i've done it always boils down to "drop pinion size" I like my big pinions but 3s line sure doesn't. :LOL:

PRO6336-00
I'm running my Surpass 3670/2850 motor on a Firma 130A ESC. I got the ESC for $85 on Ebay as a take-off from a new Ryft before I knew about Jenny's. MSRP for the 130A ESC is $139.95, so I saved a lot of money.

I am building one now. It has kraton diffs as well

View attachment 139076

I think so. I don't have huge MT tires. Use the belted Badlands MX28. They are 2.10 wide, 5.04 tall. Kind of in the middle of buggy and full size MT tires.

Handles beautifully on the road and rips up some grass rooster tails hard core.

View attachment 138781
Hey, if I use these non belted tires is shouldn't have too much
I think so. I don't have huge MT tires. Use the belted Badlands MX28. They are 2.10 wide, 5.04 tall. Kind of in the middle of buggy and full size MT tires.

Handles beautifully on the road and rips up some grass rooster tails hard core.

As others have mentioned kraton hubs, stub axles, hexes are a great way to do it. Throw on some mx28 and you truely have a wild beast. Mine are non belted which I prefer but absolutely awesome, soaks up the terrain. Puts a smile on my face everytime

View attachment 138927
Hey, will these non belted tires balloon a lot running on 50, 75% on the Typhon 6s?

Hey, if I use these non belted tires is shouldn't have too much

Hey, will these non belted tires balloon a lot running on 50, 75% on the Typhon 6s?
Maybe 50% you will be ok. I wouldn't run my non belted mx28's on a 6s typhon above that. Even on my suped up typhon 3s running 4s those tires balloon like crazy and I just had to reglue them the other day.

Maybe 50% you will be ok. I wouldn't run my non belted mx28's on a 6s typhon above that. Even on my suped up typhon 3s running 4s those tires balloon like crazy and I just had to reglue them the other day.
Ok, I'll just get the belted mx28's and play around on 50 to 75%

I extended the arms on my TLR Typhon by swapping in some Mojave arms. Then I added Vitavon Kraton hubs and Kraton axles with Just Bash It 10mm extenders on the back and M2C 5mm extenders on the front. Threw on some Talion towers and aluminum hinge pin holders after busting through those pillows on a hard crash. Kinda weird...but the front still sits a tad wider than the rear. LOVING IT though!!! Put a MMX8S with the Hobbywing 2200KV motor in it, 21T pinion, dual GameChanger fans on the motor with a Rocket fan on the ESC (Castle fans are trash). Initially had Mojave tires but they balloon too much so I'm now using those new PowerHobby 2.8 Belted Defenders. Turned my TLR Frankenstein into a wheelie monster on first drive. Had to turn the punch all the way down and do some suspension adjustments. Still a work in progress but I'm loving it ALOT!! I need the extra ground clearance for where I run and the wide stance helps with handling the rough stuff. The City of Philadelphia isn't the best with grass cutting and park maintenance so I need to dodge everything from used condoms (try catching one of those in your drivetrain...ewwww) to beer cans, wine bottles, half-eaten food platters and an assortment of other RC destroying debris.

Last edited:
I extended the arms on my TLR Typhon by swapping in some Mojave arms. Then I added Vitavon Kraton hubs and Kraton axles with Just Bash It 10mm extenders on the back and M2C 5mm extenders on the front. Threw on some Talion towers and aluminum hinge pin holders after busting through those pillows on a hard crash. Kinda weird...but the front still sits a tad wider than the rear. LOVING IT though!!! Put a MMX8S with the Hobbywing 2200KV motor in it, 21T pinion, dual GameChanger fans on the motor with a Rocket fan on the ESC (Castle fans are trash). Initially had Mojave tires but they balloon too much so I'm now using those new PowerHobby 2.8 Belted Defenders. Turned my TLR Frankenstein into a wheelie monster on first drive. Had to turn the punch all the way down and do some suspension adjustments. Still a work in progress but I'm loving it ALOT!! I need the extra ground clearance for where I run and the wide stance helps with handling the rough stuff. The City of Philadelphia isn't the best with grass cutting and park maintenance so I need to dodge everything from used condoms (try catching one of those in your drivetrain...ewwww) to beer cans, wine bottles, half-eaten food platters and an assortment of other RC destroying debris.
I'd sure love to see that beast. :eek:

Question for those that have done it is how does it affect the overall speed and handling? So far it's mostly street and a bit of bashing and I have a Kraton on the way for the heavier stuff but I do love how zippy and responsive the Typhon is. How much is that affected? Is it mostly the same but more capable or is it a pretty significant change?
A wider stance is more stable but turns slower/wider. Wider wheels roll over ruts better, but turn slower and have less precise steering. Wider stance and/or bigger tires can make the Typhon more versatile, but the wider you go, the less zippy and responsive it will be. Compared to an Outcast/Notorious, a Typhon is much more nimble.

So, there's a range of options, depending on how wide you want and how much handling you're willing to give up.
- Bigger tires that don't require Kraton/Outcast hubs, axles. I think the Mojave tires work, not sure about the thin Proline Badlands 2.8's
- Kraton/Outcast hubs, axles so you can add wide MT tires
- wider Mojave arms
- even wider Kraton/Outcast arms (at this point you have an Outcast/Notorious. Handling will be slightly quicker due to shorter shock towers and shocks.)

I believe the mojave tires can hit the wing/body when ballooning. They are some of my fav tires on the typhon though I have mine truggified and with the high profile 3drc wing mount.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back