Kraton Blew a motor apart...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zackf2468

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Outcast 4s
  3. Senton 6s
I'm not exactly sure how this happened or how to explain it so here are some photos..

Any insight in how this happened would be helpful. Thanks.

IMG_20210125_153634471.jpg

IMG_20210125_153016179.jpg

IMG_20210125_152958277.jpg

IMG_20210125_152949569.jpg

IMG_20210125_152943440.jpg

IMG_20210125_152936371.jpg

Overheated, epoxy holding the kevlar broke down due to that heat, magnets exploded inside and mechanical force ripped the screws out in the front.
Just a pure educated guess, would never happen to anyone else....🙄

Check your motor temps and stay below 170F, above 200 this will happen fairly quickly, might be 1 or 2 sessions after the fact but it's inevitable.

sometimes you see things 🤷 that you don't understand.
and this is one of them 😉

sometimes you see things 🤷 that you don't understand.
and this is one of them 😉
Not really hard to understand. High heat causes the epoxy to break down, and then parts that shouldnt touch do, things lock up and things go boom. I had a supervisor give me that exact explanation when an electric motor on one of the machines blew up one night, way back when i was still an electrical engineering apprentice.

Overheated, epoxy holding the kevlar broke down due to that heat, magnets exploded inside and mechanical force ripped the screws out in the front.
Just a pure educated guess, would never happen to anyone else....🙄

Check your motor temps and stay below 170F, above 200 this will happen fairly quickly, might be 1 or 2 sessions after the fact but it's inevitable.

I agree, that thing got smoldering hot for sure, if not more than once.. The color of the shaft on the back end is impressive..

Hahaha thanks guys!! All of your reactions make me want to put it in a display box on a shelf 🤣 what are some decent cooling fans that would work in AZ heat? Also, would it be ideal to somehow secure a fan right behind the motor? Or would it be pointless due to the debris.

Yeah Racing heatsink with dual fans. Maybe in Arizona you need upgraded fans. I got upgraded fans (also like the aluminium look of them). Check my build thread for them.👍
Will do. Thanks!
Fans are great, but you may want to gear down. What pinion are you running?
I was using a 16t at the time.
looks like your missing 2 screws and the last one broke from the torque of the motor. i have seen 2050kv screws back off more than once. loctite is your friend.
Yeah I put it everywhere I can. Should I pull the screws out of the new motor then? Just to be safe haha.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back