Granite Blowing Motors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADD

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have an Arrma Granite mega4x4 2s.. It keeps frying the motor.. Out of nowhere I'll have no movement.. My steering works but I have no throttle. Can't find anything on how to troubleshoot for this issue as 99% of the info is for the 3s an up so ESC is different. Any help would be of great appreciation, thanks in advance

Yup. Most of us will upgrade to brushless because the stock burshed motor won't last.

If you want to stay with stock, a few tips -
1 - break in the motor in water. Connect it to the ESC before you mount it in the truck. Put the motor in a glass of clean water, and use the throttle trim to run the new motor slow for 10-30 minutes, in the water. This will help the brushes wear in proper. Clean, dry, oil and install the motor and go!

2 - Beware grass. Grass needs lots of power, and power = heat.

3- let the truck cool between batteries.

4 - don't run Lipo. Nimh don't have the amps, so the truck won't run as quick, but it will also run a tad cooler.

5 - Get a Traxxas Titan 550 12t - they seem to be a bit better quality. But, they won't last forever either.

Do yourself a favor and just put in a very modest brushless system. They can be found fairly cheap. 550 or 3650 can size with a 60amp esc. Motor should be around 3000kv and get the 3mm shaft. It will plug right into the mega gearbox. If you are running in grass conditions you may want to go with a smaller pinion.….just watch the temps.
some like this would work fine. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
And the card if you are not running lipo. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Programmin...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

Last edited:
I've had similar problems in my son's Granite Mega and my Senton Mega. After a few blown motors, we're running fans and heatsinks on the motors. Horizon keeps sending me warranty motors, but a $10 heatsink/fan combo will hopefully save me the effort of changing out the motors so often.

Only issue I had with the mega system was the esc would overheat. additional fans on the esc would help. at the time I was looking for a project so I converted it to the BLX spec.
It is the red granite in the pic

Do yourself a favor and just put in a very modest brushless system. They can be found fairly cheap. 550 or 3650 can size with a 60amp esc. Motor should be around 3000kv and get the 3mm shaft. It will plug right into the mega gearbox. If you are running in grass conditions you may want to go with a smaller pinion.….just watch the temps.
some like this would work fine. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Waterproof...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
And the card if you are not running lipo. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Programmin...2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
Those GoolRC / Supass/Oday combos are really cheap. Cheap like, the ESCs often don't work out of the box, and when they do, they often don't make it thru a dozen runs without smoking. Personally, I have had 4 of there ESCs, and only one survived for more than a year (80amp).

Also, the "waterproof" logo on the side of the ESC is there to denote the ink used on the "waterproof" label is, infact, waterproof. The ESC, however, will smoke if you get it wet.

The good news - the motors are solid. I have had 3 and all three still run strong.

With all that said, if you can only afford the GoolRC ESC, then be sure to buy from someplace like Amazon so returns are easy.
I could be wrong but looking at the MEGA and the Titan motors online they look like theyre the same motor.
They are both 550 size 12t motors, but I don't think they are from the same factory. But these days, it is hard to tell.

The short:
If you keep frying your brushed motor, and many here never even owned a brushed setup, mostly BLX setups, you need to care for them, clean and lube them very frequently, don't run in the wet. At least they are very cheap to replace. Smoke a BLX motor from neglect or abuse and you will be paying out the ace. Brushed run fine on 2s. Less efficiently than a BLX motor, but do just fine if you start maintaining. keep bashing them hard without care and they will burn out. The brushes and all.Running hotter and hotter, till it becomes a dog.

I have an Arrma Granite mega4x4 2s.. It keeps frying the motor.. Out of nowhere I'll have no movement.. My steering works but I have no throttle. Can't find anything on how to troubleshoot for this issue as 99% of the info is for the 3s an up so ESC is different. Any help would be of great appreciation, thanks in advance

Are you sure you're frying the motor? That's what the title says, but your description sounds more like the throttle trim knob on the ESC radio is not pointing at neutral.

Are you sure you're frying the motor? That's what the title says, but your description sounds more like the throttle trim knob on the ESC radio is not pointing at neutral.

Yes it's pointed at neutral
Thanks tries the link, unfortunately he doesn't ship to my address
One quick question, did you break in these motors per the manual? Most people are unaware that brushed motors are very fragile and need specific care.
Yes

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back