Kraton Blown Rear Diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marlin1856

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
So today was the first run on my HRB batteries 2 x 3S and wow I cant keep the front wheels on the ground. After about 10 mins she started to labor a little so I checked her over and found the left rear wheel free spinning.
When I got her home and pulled the diff out I found the planetary gear and its locking pin shattered, all the other spider gears ect look fine.

Does anyone know of another make of RC that uses a gear that will fit as parts are hard to come by in Melbourne and most of the majors have to order them in ect or am I stuck with the standard wait time for this part?

Last edited:
Thanks, sussed this as an option but $36 a pop could expensive, I would also like to find a way to help prevent this from happening over and over or was this just a freak 1 off?

If you didn't before, shimming your difs is very important. Search the threads and you will find ample knowledge on how to, and which shims necessary. Of you can't, let me know and I'll lead you to it. Its 5:00 am here, and you caught me browsing on a "break" from sleep.

Eww 5am mate thats way too early haha it's 830 pm in Melbourne so Ill be up for a few more hrs yet, thanks for replying....yep shimmed all diffs with 5x18x.2mm on all planetary gears but disintegrated the rear one.

Freak accident I’d say. My diffs are still stock in my Kraton and today’s no issues. I have 2 others on the self that I will shim and rebuild with different fluid when I get a moment.

$36 for the kit is a bit rich. I’m in Brissy and get most of my stuff from Mild To Wild RC and they have the kit for $21.95 and for small packs I think shipping is only like $3 or something. https://www.mildtowildrc.com.au/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&o=Ar310346&q=ar310436

Sweet will check out their site cheers...is there an alternat part from another make that will work?

Not that I’m aware of.....BTW I know of a Marlin 1895 big bore in 45-70govt.....i’m not sure I have heard of a 1856 unless that’s not a rifle?

How tight was the diff after you shimmed all the gears? When I went to shim all the gears in the last two 6s rigs I bought, the diffs were way too tight when reassembled. Dry fit the shims and make sure the internal aren't super notchy or bound up. That would lead to a planetaty gear breaking.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back