Kraton 6s Blue Kraton- I did not expect her to do this 😃

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered a few GPM parts. I don’t plan on beating this car bad so they should work. Their cheap also and right now I don’t have the funds for m2c etc. They come in blue as well which works for me.

Starting off with the two lower front arm mounts. I want to install an RPM bumper that I have left over from the notorious but I don’t have the hinge pen retainer for it. These should suffice for that. I hope. Crap, now that I look at it I’ll probably still need a cap for the front retainer to keep the pins in place, dang it. Ugh, what part do I need for that??
Also got a Servo mount.

9EC86E67-F4C4-4439-B053-87984901C666.png

9A55EAB2-631B-4C31-8687-CFB3BA4EC76D.png

That’s it for today. Sure feels good getting started on it again.
Crap, just like stock the hinge pins are open at the front mount. Wish I’d seen this picture before I ordered it. What can I get or do to cover these? I want to use the rpm bumper I have, it’ll save me near $25 if I can 🤔

Attachments

• 131643C2-FB0C-4461-BB02-10B8CAFC4046.jpeg
    131643C2-FB0C-4461-BB02-10B8CAFC4046.jpeg
    353 KB · Views: 37
  • A56F2024-B351-4D4C-A714-17DFE4C76651.png
    A56F2024-B351-4D4C-A714-17DFE4C76651.png
    450.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
@SrC is always touting these servos so I decided to get one for the Kraton. I also took his advice and opened it up and greased the gears. He was right, the smallest blob of grease was set on a spot where it would never hit the actual gears. Mine didn’t have an O-ring though. The bearing is sitting there wide-open and unshielded at top.

I used Reef’s gear grease. I had put it in the Amazon cart to think about recently and of course my wife bought it for me. It’s a very small tube though so I was disappointed. I’m not now, I will use it for servos only because I plan to open every one that I buy from now on and follow this same routine.

Dang it… I forgot to pack that open bearing with a bit of grease. So I’ll open it up again. If I’m going to do it I’m going to try to do it right.

44624EF6-E810-4E41-BD39-9C1E79261574.jpeg

A86E0D4C-DE90-42D4-AD32-4A1ACED96E12.jpeg

B1B85942-AF81-4667-B00C-AA6FBF40A950.jpeg

1F64A300-F758-453A-8C40-BC424F6370C3.jpeg

3BBAB9F3-C0F5-41FC-A786-AD4DD66FAFE1.jpeg

AD19A3CD-FC1F-4BAF-81C5-2A24C3B6C6BA.jpeg

I packed the open bearing with superlube. The reefs is not so tacky and my mind told me superlube grease would work better. Hope my mind was right…

Attachments

• A96C3B87-79FA-4115-9F4B-654E9BCF3A0A.jpeg
    A96C3B87-79FA-4115-9F4B-654E9BCF3A0A.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
@SrC is always touting these servos so I decided to get one for the Kraton. I also took his advice and opened it up and greased the gears. He was right, the smallest blob of grease was set on a spot where it would never hit the actual gears. Mine didn’t have an O-ring though. The bearing is sitting there wide-open and unshielded at top.

I used Reef’s gear grease. I had put it in the Amazon cart to think about recently and of course my wife bought it for me. It’s a very small tube though so I was disappointed. I’m not now, I will use it for servos only because I plan to open every one that I buy from now on and follow this same routine.

Dang it… I forgot to pack that open bearing with a bit of grease. So I’ll open it up again. If I’m going to do it I’m going to try to do it right.

View attachment 218679

View attachment 218680

View attachment 218681

View attachment 218682

View attachment 218683

View attachment 218684
I packed the open bearing with superlube. The reefs is not so tacky and my mind told me superlube grease would work better. Hope my mind was right…

That's the same servo I got in my Noto. It's a beast whips the wheels around like they're not even there. 💪 For the money you can't beat it. I got another one just like it on standby for the Granite.

Didn't know about the grease bit though I'll have to grab some.
I ordered a few GPM parts. I don’t plan on beating this car bad so they should work. Their cheap also and right now I don’t have the funds for m2c etc. They come in blue as well which works for me.

Starting off with the two lower front arm mounts. I want to install an RPM bumper that I have left over from the notorious but I don’t have the hinge pen retainer for it. These should suffice for that. I hope. Crap, now that I look at it I’ll probably still need a cap for the front retainer to keep the pins in place, dang it. Ugh, what part do I need for that??
Also got a Servo mount.

View attachment 218109

View attachment 218110
That’s it for today. Sure feels good getting started on it again.
Crap, just like stock the hinge pins are open at the front mount. Wish I’d seen this picture before I ordered it. What can I get or do to cover these? I want to use the rpm bumper I have, it’ll save me near $25 if I can 🤔

Get the EXB hinge pin cover. Slots in between the bulkhead and chassis and screws in using 2 screws in the front and the front 2 screws for the bulkhead.

Screenshot_20220519-213229~2.png

The circled part is what you need having trouble finding it by itself._.; I'm sure they sell it on its own tho

Last edited:
That's the same servo I got in my Noto. It's a beast whips the wheels around like they're not even there. 💪 For the money you can't beat it. I got another one just like it on standby for the Granite.

Didn't know about the grease bit though I'll have to grab some.

Get the EXB hinge pin cover. Slots in between the bulkhead and chassis and screws in using 2 screws in the front and the front 2 screws for the bulkhead.

View attachment 218691

The circled part is what you need having trouble finding it by itself._.; I'm sure they sell it on its own tho
If my wife hadn’t gotten me the reefs grease Id just use super lube. The Reefs stuff was pretty thin so I’m not 100% percent sure about it. Huh…I have some ceramic silicon grease that I should’ve used if Id thought about it.

Np👍
They don't sell the bracket you need by itself unfortunately, with the bumper loop is best I could find.
Man you did great and I appreciate it. I also just found out from someone else here that I have the part I need in a bag of parts I recently bought. Another member offered to send me an extra one. Man…I love this forum and the quality folk on here!

View attachment 218679

View attachment 218680

View attachment 218681

View attachment 218682

View attachment 218683

View attachment 218684
I got my ds35kg today, took apart and it was all lubed up.

You get what you paid for QC wise I guess.

Then battled my DX3 to set endpoints.

View attachment 218679

View attachment 218680

View attachment 218681

View attachment 218682

View attachment 218683

View attachment 218684
I pop the top BB out, then place grease there. Rotate the BB to work in the lube. There should be an O-ring there if you pop out the top BB. It is sandwiched between the BB and the Top case. All servo BB's never have any Shield or Seal. Not necessary, and this makes the BB move more easily. Try rotating the BB as it sits there in the top case. If there is an O -ring above it, I guaranty the BB does not spin smooth. It will be locked up from the incorrect O-ring used above it. The O-ring ends up pressing into and against the BB's "Cage". Locks it up.(n)
Any grease is fine. Yeah I like Superlube though. Just not anything thick. Especially Not Red and Tacky. Even a drop of oil on the BB is great also. Just probably less Waterproof. But makes for a faster Servo in theory. I use oil on the bottom BB. It isn't visible unless you remove the Output shaft above it. But this is less critical.
It's always good to buy an Inexpensive Servo Testor for your RC toolbox. They are like $10.00. great for trouble shooting and testing Servos out the box ( I always do this) or for isolating questionable servos, ruling out Rx or BEC issues. Gear train doesn't need to be packed heavily with grease. Will slow down the servo response. That blob of the factory grease amount is actually enough to spread it around and lube all the teeth for all the gears.
:cool:

Last edited:
I pop the top BB out, then place grease there. Rotate the BB to work in the lube. There should be an O-ring there if you pop out the top BB. It is sandwiched between the BB and the Top case. All servo BB's never have any Shield or Seal. Not necessary, and this makes the BB move more easily. Try rotating the BB as it sits there in the top case. If there is an O -ring above it, I guaranty the BB does not spin smooth. It will be locked up from the incorrect O-ring used above it. The O-ring ends up pressing into and against the BB's "Cage". Locks it up.(n)
Any grease is fine. Yeah I like Superlube though. Just not anything thick. Especially Not Red and Tacky. Even a drop of oil on the BB is great also. Just probably less Waterproof. But makes for a faster Servo in theory. I use oil on the bottom BB. It isn't visible unless you remove the Output shaft above it. But this is less critical.
It's always good to buy an Inexpensive Servo Testor for your RC toolbox. They are like $10.00. great for trouble shooting and testing Servos out the box ( I always do this) or for isolating questionable servos, ruling out Rx or BEC issues. Gear train doesn't need to packed heavily with grease. Will slow down the servo response. That blob of the factory grease amount is actually enough to spread it around and lube all the teeth for all the gears.
:cool:
THANK YOU!! So now I’m glad I used the reefs grease because it’s thin. If I did superlube grease I would’ve globbed it on there 😂

I was too unsure to touch that little bearing. In my mind it would’ve fallen apart. Same with messing with anything else. I just pulled the top and the bottom cap off and was too unsure to do anything else. So I’m going to take it apart again since I’m more sure now.

OK I’ll look for a servo tester. Which one have you had luck with…or is it just any one?
Yeah I hate red and tacky. It stinks.

To access the bottom bearing you said to pull the output shaft. Is this done from above or below? Are all servo’s built similar? Could I grab an old one I have lying around and pretty much get the same experience as the one I intend to use? fiddlestick an old one up so I don’t the new one…

Thank you @SrC For walking me through this. I was able to pull the tiny bearing with no trouble and removed the O-ring. I see what you mean now, the bearing moves much easier without it. And since I totally avoid water I’m not worried about it being waterproof. I did go ahead and put it on top of the Servo as suggested.

Now I’m going to take the 4 or 5 bad servos I have apart for poops and giggles. I want to figure out how to get to that bottom bearing, but not with a new servo.

9E5A6F1C-4166-4F87-A2C2-EE13DFBA221B.jpeg

THANK YOU!! So now I’m glad I used the reefs grease because it’s thin. If I did superlube grease I would’ve globbed it on there 😂

I was too unsure to touch that little bearing. In my mind it would’ve fallen apart. Same with messing with anything else. I just pulled the top and the bottom cap off and was too unsure to do anything else. So I’m going to take it apart again since I’m more sure now.

OK I’ll look for a servo tester. Which one have you had luck with…or is it just any one?
Yeah I hate red and tacky. It stinks.

To access the bottom bearing you said to pull the output shaft. Is this done from above or below? Are all servo’s built similar? Could I grab an old one I have lying around and pretty much get the same experience as the one I intend to use? fiddlestick an old one up so I don’t the new one…
I use this one. But there are many others.
Mine will set servo to center, has a manual control ( Knob) and also auto mode ( rotates L to R, R to L on its own.
Servo Testors can also Test ESC operation, isolating it from the Rx and rig as well. ESC being connnected to its Lipo pack.
You need a power source to operate the testor for Servo tesing. Any 6-7volts pack is fine. Just need to use a Futaba type connector. (any servo connector)
Indispensable considering its cheap cost.

https://www.amazon.com/ICQUANZX-Aluminum-Consistency-Controler-Helicopter/dp/B081D5VHVY/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2GGI731VUY4QA&keywords=servo+tester&qid=1653144661&sprefix=servo+tester,aps,70&sr=8-8

I use this one. But there are many others.
Mine will set servo to center, has a manual control ( Knob) and also auto mode ( rotates L to R, R to L on its own.
Servo Testors can also Test ESC operation, isolating it from the Rx and rig as well. ESC being connnected to its Lipo pack.
You need a power source to operate the testor for Servo tesing. Any 6-7volts pack is fine. Just need to use a Futaba type connector. (any servo connector)
Indispensable considering its cheap cost.

https://www.amazon.com/ICQUANZX-Aluminum-Consistency-Controler-Helicopter/dp/B081D5VHVY/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2GGI731VUY4QA&keywords=servo+tester&qid=1653144661&sprefix=servo+tester,aps,70&sr=8-8
Good, because I got impatient and ordered one and it just happens to be the exact same one. Thanks man I greatly appreciate it!

Technical stuff like this can confuse me until I understand it so I may hit you up with silly questions. You’re probably used to that already though 🙃

The mini infraction distracted me for awhile but now I’m back working on this thing. Still waiting on GPM hinge pin retainers and servo mount to arrive but all else is in so I’ll install and enjoy. Hoping to get it together by the weekend.

F3D77D1C-E284-4F29-96C7-93426D3519A1.jpeg

I first posted this under my Kraton bumper question thread. Figure I’d put it here as well.

I have one of these JBIRC rear skid plates from my notorious. I’m assuming i have to drill the chassis for that one forward hole? Does this thing strengthen that part of the chassis at all?

My other thought is to put the old RPM bumper I have on the rear. I’ve seen more than one person do that. Curious what y’all think would be the best route to go?

Many thanks as always guys!

E8669890-7F6D-4A1A-943C-7D5E484AF6AC.jpeg

I first posted this under my Kraton bumper question thread. Figure I’d put it here as well.

I have one of these JBIRC rear skid plates from my notorious. I’m assuming i have to drill the chassis for that one forward hole? Does this thing strengthen that part of the chassis at all?

My other thought is to put the old RPM bumper I have on the rear. I’ve seen more than one person do that. Curious what y’all think would be the best route to go?

Many thanks as always guys!

View attachment 219573
JBI website says on the JBI chassis's the forward hole is predrilled, but you can drill the hole in the RTR chassis to add extra strength.

Thank you @SrC For walking me through this. I was able to pull the tiny bearing with no trouble and removed the O-ring. I see what you mean now, the bearing moves much easier without it. And since I totally avoid water I’m not worried about it being waterproof. I did go ahead and put it on top of the Servo as suggested.

Now I’m going to take the 4 or 5 bad servos I have apart for poops and giggles. I want to figure out how to get to that bottom bearing, but not with a new servo.

View attachment 218833
Bottom BB is sandwiched, pressed snug between the output shaft and the potentiometer. You can leave as is. Not an issue. The top BB is the focus because only this one has that poor fitting O-ring. The upper case contributes much to this also. No recess for the O-ring, so it gets pressed hard into the unshielded BB.
I see you got to that upper BB O-ring. If you place it over the BB you can see that it will sit inside the race and against the BB cage and bind up the BB.
Try the fit with and without the O-ring, you will see how the BB locks up with the O-ring. I see this with many brands of Servos. Expensive ones also.
Futaba's however, for instance are made much better by comparison. And this does not happen.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back