BLX 100 esc issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schmack b

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Mojave
  5. Outcast 4s
  6. Typhon 3s
The esc in my granite BLX keeps randomly cutting out. Sometimes its last for just a second, and sometimes it last as long as twenty seconds. When it happens, the brake tone comes from the motor, and I'm pretty sure the entire esc shuts off and comes back on. I have torn the truck apart and replaced the bearings, so I'm confident everything is good(except to tight gear mesh)in the driveline.
I have also bench tested the wiring by pulling the crap out of them and it doesn't seem to be a loose connection anywhere. Also sometimes it cuts off completely, and as soon as I get to the truck and touch it, it comes back on. After that as soon as I touch the throttle, it cuts off again. It does this a few times until it finally stays on after a couple attempts. Then I can run fine for about 5 more minutes, and it starts doing it again.
It does not seem to be a temp issue as the motor is at about 100 and esc at about 75 every time I check it when it starts happening. It also does it with 2 different batteries.
Anybody got any ideas. Thanks.

Could be a capacitor issue, Is it still under warrenty?

I don't know. I tried to push on them during the bench testing, but seemed fine. I think its just a ESC problem. Its still under warranty yes, only a month and a half old.

Could be the ESC but it could also be a problem with the motor.

Could be, but I don't think so. Mabey a internal motor bearing seizing up. The motor seems fine when its running good. Also I'm pretty sure the ESC shuts off and comes back on as I hear the fan cut off and come back on.

The esc in my granite BLX keeps randomly cutting out. Sometimes its last for just a second, and sometimes it last as long as twenty seconds. When it happens, the brake tone comes from the motor, and I'm pretty sure the entire esc shuts off and comes back on. I have torn the truck apart and replaced the bearings, so I'm confident everything is good(except to tight gear mesh)in the driveline.
I have also bench tested the wiring by pulling the crap out of them and it doesn't seem to be a loose connection anywhere. Also sometimes it cuts off completely, and as soon as I get to the truck and touch it, it comes back on. After that as soon as I touch the throttle, it cuts off again. It does this a few times until it finally stays on after a couple attempts. Then I can run fine for about 5 more minutes, and it starts doing it again.
It does not seem to be a temp issue as the motor is at about 100 and esc at about 75 every time I check it when it starts happening. It also does it with 2 different batteries.
Anybody got any ideas. Thanks.
did you unplug the servo and try it? just to see if the servo is shorting out your bec and causing a brownout? seen it before many times.

Heard from another thread, that you might want to check your receiver box, if you ran it through water lately. They're supposed to be waterproof, but it seems that a few drops might get by, and mess up the receiver. Open it up, dry it out, and see if that helps.

did you unplug the servo and try it? just to see if the servo is shorting out your bec and causing a brownout? seen it before many times.
I will try this when I get home before I call support.

Heard from another thread, that you might want to check your receiver box, if you ran it through water lately. They're supposed to be waterproof, but it seems that a few drops might get by, and mess up the receiver. Open it up, dry it out, and see if that helps.

I read that also, and I will check. But I haven't really gone through water except grass that's wet in the morning. But I bet that's enough.

Well after a bunch of testing this weekend, I have found that their is nothing wrong with my ESC. The problem I was having was a bad battery. Its funny because I thought I tried 2 different batteries, but guess it was the same one. It really cheeses me off because it is basically a brand new Dynamite Reaction 3s 5000mah hardcase with like 5 charge cycles on it. The negative wire is no longer connected to the inside of the battery. I can pull it on out. I think it is a issue with the battery and not something like a bad crash that caused it because its only the negative wire, I would think both would come out if it was pulled on.

Well after a bunch of testing this weekend, I have found that their is nothing wrong with my ESC. The problem I was having was a bad battery. Its funny because I thought I tried 2 different batteries, but guess it was the same one. It really cheeses me off because it is basically a brand new Dynamite Reaction 3s 5000mah hardcase with like 5 charge cycles on it. The negative wire is no longer connected to the inside of the battery. I can pull it on out. I think it is a issue with the battery and not something like a bad crash that caused it because its only the negative wire, I would think both would come out if it was pulled on.

At least it's an easy fix (the battery). Glad you sorted it out :)

At least it's an easy fix (the battery). Glad you sorted it out :)

I hope so. I am going to try and call Horizon support and see if they will warranty the battery. I have never delt with them before. Do u know the number by chance?

I hope so. I am going to try and call Horizon support and see if they will warranty the battery. I have never delt with them before. Do u know the number by chance?
1 (888) 959-2307

I will try this when I get home before I call support.

I read that also, and I will check. But I haven't really gone through water except grass that's wet in the morning. But I bet that's enough.
circuit boards are very strange, do things youd never think possible.lol seems you found the issue. thats great, thoes blx100s are proving to be pretty reliable thus far.

So I talked to support about my bLx 100 guy said there was a internal wire that was off or some poop anyway the fiddlesticking ESC's are on order but wont be in till at least the start of march he said :(

He blamed it on there suppliers shipping method.. Whatever.....

James-Van-Der-Beek-Dawson-Crying.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back