BLX 185 esc - Hobby Wing equivalent?

Thread starter #1

Steve Brx

Arrma RC's
Talion
I read somewhere that the BLX185 ESC is a re-branded Hobby Wing. I can't find that article despite a good trawl so does anyone out there know if this is the case, and if so, what the hobbywing model/ part number is?

Thanks.

Jerry-rigged

Premium Member!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Arrma RC's
Kraton, Typhon, 4x4-Mega
Yes, Quickrun150, but the firmware is different - Arrma removed some programing options.

Also, the BLX200 is the MAX8 . But same thing, Arrma nerfed the firmware, removing options.

Thread starter #4

Steve Brx

Arrma RC's
Talion
Guys, that's great, many thanks for the information. My Talion esc went up in smoke following a melted dean's connector. I have purchased a new BLX 185, but saw the Quicrun on eBay for a very suspicious CA$33, new. I've bought it anyway, however not entirely confident that it'll turn up! Handy spare for that money if it does.

Thanks again.

RCjamjam

Arrma RC's
Kraton, Talion
I confirm QuicRun 150 is the best option

Megasty

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Arrma RC's
Fazon, Granite, Kraton, Nero, Outcast, Raider, Senton, Talion, Typhon, 4x4-Mega
Guys, that's great, many thanks for the information. My Talion esc went up in smoke following a melted dean's connector. I have purchased a new BLX 185, but saw the Quicrun on eBay for a very suspicious CA$33, new. I've bought it anyway, however not entirely confident that it'll turn up! Handy spare for that money if it does.

Thanks again.
The cheapest brushless Quicrun 150a ESC on eBay is ~$70. Make sure you didn't pick up the brushed 150a ESC instead as it is about ~$20.

Typhon

Arrma RC's
Typhon
I find it odd thats its a rebranded hobbywing. I hear of nobody having issues with their hobbywing escs but yet arrmas blx escs go up in smoke all the time and each revision is never a fix.

Megasty

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Arrma RC's
I find it odd thats its a rebranded hobbywing. I hear of nobody having issues with their hobbywing escs but yet arrmas blx escs go up in smoke all the time and each revision is never a fix.
People just don't talk about them frying too much. I've had 2 Quicrun 150's, 3 60a, a max8 & max6 flame up on me. While in the Arrma camp, I've had a blx180, blx185, & 3 blx200's do the same. My most reliable HW product by far is the blx185. Out of the 9 I have, only 1 has smoked. But at least Arrma backs HW's junk while it might take months to deal with HWs warranty directly if you didn't end up with a fake or clone.

chevys10zr2003

Premium Member!
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Excellence Award
Arrma RC's
Kraton, Senton, Typhon
People just don't talk about them frying too much. I've had 2 Quicrun 150's, 3 60a, a max8 & max6 flame up on me. While in the Arrma camp, I've had a blx180, blx185, & 3 blx200's do the same. My most reliable HW product by far is the blx185. Out of the 9 I have, only 1 has smoked. But at least Arrma backs HW's junk while it might take months to deal with HWs warranty directly if you didn't end up with a fake or clone.
So I am guessing that you don't think too highly of Hobbywing LOL, so what is your preferred brand of ESC?

Megasty

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Arrma RC's
So I am guessing that you don't think too highly of Hobbywing LOL, so what is your preferred brand of ESC?
HW has some of the best bang for your buck ESCs in my book. It's the only RTR ESC you can set on the fly. I just don't like ESCs in general. Even Tekin & Orion are grenades. Castle don't even list the amps on theirs unless you go XLX or better.