BLX 185 ESC NiMH Mode Not Functioning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
update even the program card does not allow for the option to be toggled. the firmware can not be changed from factory.

i know i should, but now it's my sole mission in life...MUST MAKE CAR GO VROOM ON NiMH. So mon. Ill call n complain to arrma...see where that lands me.

probably doesn't take much to reach 120 degrees in the summer with these so probably. my motorcycles arent a fan of the hot summers either.

I run 6s lipos in temps from 20*F to 100*F, never an issue on either end of the spectrum

Update: Arrma/Horizon Hobby says yep it's a defective ESC. They didn't seem to care too much and made no fuss about shipping me out a new one. My hobby shop guy says the Horizon Hobby makes many changes without letting customers know properly so worried about this being an actual change to software I asked them to please test the new ESC prior to shipping it out. They said their was no real need to do so and that the ESC's have not had any changes made to them.

Now I have two BLX185 without NiMH...
They want me to ship one back to them...

I'm sorry for your trouble, but I can assure you that you are the only person I've seen in this forum that wants to run their BLX185 on Nimh. I can't even wrap my head around it.

lol, the pain is real, but I can get it. I often am the rock that parts the river.

i think it'll be better than others are giving it credit. we will see. probably won't have a working esc til summer and i want to run lipos anyway lol but we will eventually see...

i only had previous experience with nitro. the hobby shop guy was concerned about lipos gelling due to cold temps and bursting as they do. lipos do tell u not to operate in low temps so? idk. i think it's doable but fairly advised against.
I actually think -10c(14f) is about the limit. I remember reading someplace that you don't want to go much lower than this as the cold starts to have bad effects on the batteries.

-20c is actually the limit. -4f is probably a temperature i will be experiencing this winter while messing w my car so...

on another note i have sent back my new esc and am trying to convince arrma to send me an onx1250. this is a fully unlocked nimh appropriate esc that horizon hobbies owns according to my hobby shop guy. it comes without leads so im requesting the include xt90 adaptors as well. i shipped it back fedex ground so it'll probably be a good week and they said whoever actually gets the esc is the one who will ultimately decide how to address my issue.

on another note i purchased a hobby wing quicrun wp 8bl150 which i will receive wednesday to fill the void of waiting for arrma to make a response. This is the oem version of the onx1250. i figure going to the source is the best bet for an actually full featured esc.

Last edited:
today its 65 degrees out. i bought a nice hard case 6s lipo for the warmer days also. probably take a week n a few days to have it

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back